Wine package questions

mccasey

Hello everybody!

My husband is a big fan of relaxing out on the balcony in our room with a glass of wine. If we buy the wine package, are we allowed to bring bottles to our room?

Or is there any other way that we can get wine to our room at a reasonable cost?

Thank you!!!

MC

In the past if you did not finish the bottle of wine at dinner you could take it to your cabin. o I suggest he only drink one glass and take the rest to your cabin. :) I don't know if that rule changed but we did do that in the past.

While at dinner the first night - order an extra bottle from your package. Have them uncork it and you are free to take it to the cabin with you. They will give you wine glasses if you ask for them. I've done this with no problems at all.

While at dinner the first night - order an extra bottle from your package. Have them uncork it and you are free to take it to the cabin with you. They will give you wine glasses if you ask for them. I've done this with no problems at all.

Same with us. No problem with getting a bottle, we usually ask for an unopened one, for the cabin from our Wine & Dine Pkg but we only have done so in the MDR or another restaurant. Cabin steward will provide wine glasses, ice bucket and corkscrew if you need one.

I will have to try requesting one to be delivered to our cabin.

Hi,

We did not end up ordering the Wine Package week of 8/7/09 on the Radiance, because we found the list was too limited and the wine list in the dining room was much larger.

But, thought I'd let you know that we ordered bottles of wine via the TV in our room to be delivered by room service or once we called because the TV was "frozen." No problem whatsoever. They brought the wine, as many glasses as requested and a bucket with ice. Same prices as in the dining room and you don't have to wander around the ship with your bottle in hand :eek:.

Enjoy that glass of vino on the balcony...we sure did!

Lynne

Hi McCasey's---

You need to sign up for the Mingle for the Cruise on the 6th-there is a great group of people that are cruising with you. So far there are 70 of us signed up, we get a get together on the first sea day to meet fellow cruisers. Just look at the top of the page to find the spot. Check out our thread on the the Meet and Mingle board!

Hope to see you there!

Lisa

We used to buy the wine package, but found that there were superior wines available by the bottle..So we 'upgraded', got a bottle when we were really in the wine mood versus ording it becuase we had the package.

Story: On NCL, bought wine package, table for 8....sat with 6 strangers. First night, got bottle of wine, offered it around the table...empty bottle. Night two, same thing...Night three, not in the mood for wine...one of the folks looks at us and says..."Where is our wine tonight?"

We frequently have our waiter bring us a bottle for the cabin from the wine and dine. We have had as many as two bottles unopened for our consumption in the cabin. You can go to the champagne bar on the ships that have one and buy a bottle or you can buy a bottle from the wine list in the dining room or windjammer. I have done all of the above.

The only thing you can't buy is strong alcohol... RCI is dumber than a box of rocks on this topic...

Hence, rumrunners.

Texasmunk, that sounds like a nightmare table arrangement....

jc

We used to buy the wine package, but found that there were superior wines available by the bottle..So we 'upgraded', got a bottle when we were really in the wine mood versus ording it becuase we had the package.

Story: On NCL, bought wine package, table for 8....sat with 6 strangers. First night, got bottle of wine, offered it around the table...empty bottle. Night two, same thing...Night three, not in the mood for wine...one of the folks looks at us and says..."Where is our wine tonight?"

Wow! That's quite a story TexasMunk! Pretty presumptuous of the others at your table!

We frequently have our waiter bring us a bottle for the cabin from the wine and dine. We have had as many as two bottles unopened for our consumption in the cabin. You can go to the champagne bar on the ships that have one and buy a bottle or you can buy a bottle from the wine list in the dining room or windjammer. I have done all of the above.

The only thing you can't buy is strong alcohol... RCI is dumber than a box of rocks on this topic...

Hence, rumrunners.

Texasmunk, that sounds like a nightmare table arrangement....

jc

What are rumrunners? I'd love to have a margarita sitting out on my own balcony!

Hi

Just noticed that the wine packages have gobe down. The gold package was around £15.86 per bottle but is now £13.78 per bottle.

Wonder if is is better to order now or wait to see if it drops further:rolleyes:.

Pity you can't get your money back if you buy at a higher price:(.

Regards

Andy

Great story! I guess that wouldn't happen any more with their Freestyle dining.

We usually keep a bottle of wine for 2 or 3 meals. That was a huge problem on the one (and only) NCL Freestyle cruise we took. By the time the harried DR staff found our bottle we were ready for desert. :)

In the RCI ships' MDRs we can have an open bottle of red and white so we can make it match our dinner choices.

I do the package. They have wines we like on the middle level one and it does save a bit of cash. We aren't into fancy labels and vintages. I also like being able to order and pay for it in advance. Since we pay our credit card bills in full every month, it spaces out the expense of the cruise.

Same with us. No problem with getting a bottle, we usually ask for an unopened one, for the cabin from our Wine & Dine Pkg but we only have done so in the MDR or another restaurant. Cabin steward will provide wine glasses, ice bucket and corkscrew if you need one.

I will have to try requesting one to be delivered to our cabin.

I've had champagne and choc strawberries delivered to my cabin through gifts and gear. They provided the glasses and corkscrew.

You can pre-order wine in packages or by the bottle (better) for delivery to either the Dining Room or your State Room.

You can also order bottles of wine from Room Service for delivery to your stateroom.

Do not expect to pay WalMart prices for the wine available on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back last night from my cruise on the Mariner! It was amazing! Loved it!

But with regard to the wine package, we were disappointed and decided that we wouldn't do it again. The wines offered in the Gold package were really not very good overall and for approximately an extra $4 per bottle we found that we had many options for much better wines. My husband and I both agreed that we'd prefer to pay a little bit extra and enjoy the wines we drink. But I guess it's all personal taste.

Just got back last night from my cruise on the Mariner! It was amazing! Loved it!

But with regard to the wine package, we were disappointed and decided that we wouldn't do it again. The wines offered in the Gold package were really not very good overall and for approximately an extra $4 per bottle we found that we had many options for much better wines. My husband and I both agreed that we'd prefer to pay a little bit extra and enjoy the wines we drink. But I guess it's all personal taste.

Hubby and I are thinking of just ordering 3 or 4 bottles of wine thru the gifts and gear and have them delivered to our room. We'll bring our own corkscrew in our checked luggage so paying the corkage fee isn't a problem! Would you recommend something like what we are doing instead of the wine package? I'm sure we'll still order wine at dinner, but we're thinking that by ordering thru Gifts and Gear that we can have our wine on our balcony before dinner and not have to go thru room service or smuggle it onboard!

That sounds like a good idea. I have no idea though if the bottles are better priced from gifts & gear or just from room service. You might want to check on that. We did order a bottle from room service once.

Although we had a cork screw in our stateroom when we got there, but that may have been because our travel agent had left us a bottle of wine as a gift. Not sure if the cork screw is standard.

That sounds like a good idea. I have no idea though if the bottles are better priced from gifts & gear or just from room service. You might want to check on that. We did order a bottle from room service once.

Although we had a cork screw in our stateroom when we got there, but that may have been because our travel agent had left us a bottle of wine as a gift. Not sure if the cork screw is standard.

Good to know you can order thru room service. I didn't think RCI did that anymore - I may have read that on CC or something.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably order a head of time and get everything paid for so my bill at the end of the cruise isn't as shocking as it was on my last cruise! :D:eek:

Archived