For those of you who have read Cruise Confidential

Jeafl

Good point... I didn't realize that I was logged in as a different name! Lovebruns is the nickname I got when I had a software company in Reno, and it's my yahoo address, too. It came from the 'trying' time of being assigned to work in a doctor's office with thirty nurses. Of course, I have no way of proving that I am the author because anyone can create a name, as has been noted. Brian David Bruns is my real name, frequently confused with Burns. On that note, it's pronounced like Broons, but I long since stopped worrying about that.

I had hopes of someday writing a book because I've always dreamed of being a writer, and figured this was a pretty unique situation. A professional friend of mine who worked abroad for years hopping from country to country like crazy advised me to write a diary or I would forget everything in the jumble. Boy, was he right! My diary became my anchor in an otherwise wild ride. Five minutes a day to recount what happened was not so taxing, as some of my critics imply. Since 2002 I now have 836 single-spaced, typed pages of searchable diary. That's a whole lotta detail, thoughts, worries, and adventures.

I just read this comment by you and I wonder once again about the accuracy of your book and some of the comments etc you wrote about. If your notes were so meticulous how did you mix up the Glory and Miracle for your girlfriend being on the ship. How did you communicate with her if you didn't know what ship she was on.

For those who have read the book the ship that is mentioned at the end is not the Glory. It should have been the Miracle as I was told when I questioned the accuracy. I sailed on the maiden Western Voyage of the Glory in JULY not the cold March timeframe that is mentioned in the book. See my signature. Before my sailing the Glory had done one Western sailing and two other short sailings before beginning her official sailings.

Even the most accomplished authors/presidents/heads of state have been "caught" with innacuracies in their writings/lectures. Not done on purpose. Even with the most meticulous notes I am sure things get mixed up. Heck- I can't remember what I ate yesterday. I surely don't remember every detail of what I did - even when I make "notes to self." As for signing in under a different name - well, I have several accounts in aol. I am sure many people on cc have a few account names. I enjoyed the book, and took it as part fact/fiction. I wouldn't hesitate to read his sequel, if there is one in the works. I read to escape work, and the real world. This book was perfect for me!

I think people underestimate the power of youth and alcohol tolerance.

Or Chaser Pills! I worked in a pharmacy in the past and I have seen those pills do wonders in eliminating hangovers and the effects of alcohol for some of our "Regulars"!

But on the flip side on one of our cruises I asked our head waiter how big the lobster tail was? He replied it's kind of small you should order two. He didn't mind the extra work to make sure my meal was great, he got a big extra tip at the end of the cruise! :D

we had this same experience. we had four kids in our party of 10. our head waiter asked multiple times each night if they wanted to try anything else on the menu. Told them they could order one of everything on the menu multiple times. he told them if there was something on the menu they had never tried to order it and he would bring it to them just to try. he more then earned the extra tip we gave him.

DW and I both read the book and very entertaining. If it was not 100% accurate that is ok too as we are platinum cruisers and have learned too watch new things around the ship.

There is no question the crew works very hard but on the other hand they make one hell of a lot more than they would if they stayed home.

We are encouraged to order what we want and I do take advantage of it but order all at the beginning so they do not have extra work to get new dishes for me during the service.

One of the things I love about cruising is the opportunity to try new dishes.

AMEN! No self-esteem issues with that guy!

I agree. I couldn't finish the book for this reason. Also, if there is truly that much drinking going on among crew, what would happen in the case of a real emergency when even off duty crew members are essential to assist passangers to safety? scary. I gave my copy of this book to a waiter on the Pride. He said he'd heard about it and was anxious to read it. I knew I was tired of reading it so I said, here it's yours. I told him I was sick of reading about the drunken parties below deck. He said there was no way the captain would allow all his off duty staff to be staggering drunk.

I just read this comment by you and I wonder once again about the accuracy of your book and some of the comments etc you wrote about. If your notes were so meticulous how did you mix up the Glory and Miracle for your girlfriend being on the ship. How did you communicate with her if you didn't know what ship she was on.

For those who have read the book the ship that is mentioned at the end is not the Glory. It should have been the Miracle as I was told when I questioned the accuracy. I sailed on the maiden Western Voyage of the Glory in JULY not the cold March timeframe that is mentioned in the book. See my signature. Before my sailing the Glory had done one Western sailing and two other short sailings before beginning her official sailings.

Now a typo regarding a ship's name justifies claims that I didn't even know what ship my girlfriend was on? Suddenly this board seems less productive than I once thought.

There are a few people on this board who are perfect..... At least they think so. They will find any imperfecftion to something they dont agree with and scratch at it.

I have enjoyed every page of your book. Well written and funny, Bravo

Keep it up

wcr

• 3 weeks later...

Archived