Two questions-first time cruiser

etoile5

I am sailing the Imagination, first cruise ever, I read that you are able to take a bottle of wine per adult on board and can drink it with dinner for a corkage fee. Does anyone do this?

Also, in Cozumel I am considering renting a car to just take a look at the Island. Is the port walking distance to any of the rental agencies? Which have you used, I have been told Isis, but want to know if anyone has used this and how did you like them.

Thanks.

I am sailing the Imagination, first cruise ever, I read that you are able to take a bottle of wine per adult on board and can drink it with dinner for a corkage fee.

Correct...and you're often not even charged the "corkage fee"

Someone on my cruise had a awful experience renting a car in cozumel. If you have a accident, its a crime. They stopped to fill up with gas and someone bumped their back bumper (sounded like a set up to me). They called the police and took the Carnival pax to jail, unless he paid $800 to fix the teensy dent. Carnival wouldnt let her write a check at the purser's desk. The only thing that saved him was this was the Ike cruise and we overnighted in Cozumel and eventually she was able to raise the $800 to bail him out of jail.

Dont ever assume your insurance will cover you in another country either, they wouldnt look at his insurance card. Just be aware that things like this can happen. Get full local insurance when you rent a car, which might have helped them.... even then, Im sure it would have been a hassle to file.

Iv never taken a bottle of wine onboard, but I might for my upcoming cruise on Crazies. Since Im doing the B2B, wonder if I can take 2 bottles onboard per person?

I plan to get the insurance, I have checked in the past and my insurance does not cover. Thanks for the warning, that would be horrible! Mexican prison!

About taking 2 bottles per person, I think you would have to "smuggle" the second bottle somehow. The policy allows 1, but if you try make sure it isn't too expensive.

Nice to hear others have brought their own bottles, I think I will try it. It would be a plus if they didn't charge, but no big deal if they do.

Thanks

Here's a website about renting cars in Cozumel. Personally, I'd rather hire a car and driver for the day -- that's more likely to be negotiable and you don't have any liability in the event of an accident -- AND they know where they're going. The price may not be much more than renting a car.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Carrent

A lot of what I have read, and personally experienced, about renting personal vehicles, from cars to scooters to jet skis, has been questionalble at best.

It seems the vendors are activley looking to get chash from tourists by providing equipment with pprior damage and/or mechanical problems and tjen DEMANDING cash payments for repairs when the piece fails. My example was a scooter that my son had to lay down due to low (later flat) rear tire pressure. Upon having the scooter replaced, I had to ride back to the place to tell them, they told us the repair shop wanted $250 to fix it. The darned thing wasn't worth more than $300. OK, I'm done ranting, in summary I agree, if you need to get around hire someone.

We've rented cars in Cozumel for several years now and never had a problem. And yes, the rentals are within walking distance from where you get off the ship. We've used Hertz and Avis there. It is a good way to see the island by driving around and seeing the side that isn't commercialized -- very pretty.

We have taken wine onboard. Packed in the checked baggage without any issue. For extra security, check out Wineskins online. They are like bubble wrapped ziplock bags that have two seals so in case it breaks, you don't end up marinating your clothes. :D

As for corkage, it depends. We were charged corkage when we brought a unopened bottle to Supper Club. One night we opened a bottle in our room, had a glass and then brought the rest to MDR. No corkage.

Enjoy your first cruise. You will love it.

We were there just last week. We had organized our beach day through ******************(Passion Island Beach) and had to take a cab to downtown area to meet with the Passion Island Beach people (beautiful beach by the way, quiet as only so many people are allowed on, open bar and nice mexican buffet included). All cab fees are posted right there where the cab are lined up so they can't rip you off. We got charged exactly what the sign said. It cost our family of 6 $11 to get downtown and there is lots of shopping down there as well. I wasn't looking to rent a car so didn't notice if there were any place right around the port. Sorry.

We were thinking about renting when we get to Cozumel next week. Mexico is one of the few countries in the world where my insurance company doesn't cover. We are renting a car in Ft. Lauderdale and don't have to buy extra because our policy at home covers it. My agent said NO to Mexico. I think we will just taxi around.

We've taken wine on board. Corkage fee as stated by other posters, seems to be consistent in the supper club, and hit or miss in the main dining room.

We have rented from Isis with no problem. When the fellow that inspects the car before we drive away, I take digital photos of every angle of the vehicle with him in the shot so we can show the condition before we drive.

As others have said, if you rent, get full insurance -- liability and collision.

Archived