Just returned -12nt med cruise-any questions??

jlijny

Where do you get traveler's checks in Euros? We would just like to take the Euros for all our side trips with us but our first day in Barcelona, doubtful our hotel will be ready, and didn't want to carry that much around with us.

Even if your room is not yet ready, the front desk will be happy to place anything you want in their behind the desk safe or money boxes (the old way used by all hotels before room safes became popular).

With the widespread adoption of the Euro around 10 years ago, traveler's checks have gone the way of the dodo; you don't want to waste your time waiting in line at banks to cash them. Use your ATM card; machines are everywhere. The only way they are useful is if they are accepted by any of your private tour operators; no one else wants them these days. If your tour operators will not accept them, do not waste your time and money be getting any.

I needed to take a lot of euros with us. I had planned many private tours, and they required only euros.In some cases, they specified euro/euro travelers checks.......I only brought euro T/C to cover the private tours, since they are useless everywhere else. You can always get them in port. I didn't want to spend time....so I made sure I had euros with me. When I ran out, I did get some on the ship. The exchange rate on the ship wasn't great, but very convenient.

Where did you obtain euro travelers checks? I haven't been able to get them through any of our local banks.

Nope, they don't carry traveler's checks anymore, just went on Sat. and asked.

Sorry, we last purchased some at AAA eight years ago. I guess that just proves my point four posts back that they have gone the way of the dodo bird!:)

Last suggestion: post your question on the Italy board because Rome-in-Limo, a private tour company used by many cruise critic members all over Italy, only accepts Euro traveler's checks or cash, so many of those traveling with a big group purchase them in advance because of the large sums of Euros they need to pay for their tours.

Good luck!

Sorry, we last purchased some at AAA eight years ago. I guess that just proves my point four posts back that they have gone the way of the dodo bird!:)

Last suggestion: post your question on the Italy board because Rome-in-Limo, a private tour company used by many cruise critic members all over Italy, only accepts Euro traveler's checks or cash, so many of those traveling with a big group purchase them in advance because of the large sums of Euros they need to pay for their tours.

Good luck!

Thanks to all for the help!

iam planning to take my mom to med cruise may or june2010 & is looking at embarkation in Barcelona. My mom is in her 70's & unable to walk to long distance thus we're planning to bring a wheelchair with us. Based on your experience, do you recommend this port for disabled? which ports are not wheelchair accessible since I heard that a lot of european cities are not handicap accessible? dont know yet which ports will visit... any recommendation? thanks for your help.

Great info on your thread so far! We're a group of 8 going on RC's Voyager in the Western Mediterranean in the first week November 2009. Our group includes 4 seniors and 2 very young children (4 and 1 year old) and my husband and I. I'm trying to do as much planning as possible so we aren't floundering around with our unwieldy group.

(1) Barcelona: So far we've got 4 pre-cruise days in Barcelona and are staying at an apartment near Plaza Catalunya. I was thinking we'd include one 4 hour Barcelona City tour with Pepito Tours on one of those days, and the Montserrat tour before embarkation. We could always try the HOHO bus and see Barcelona on our own instead of the 4 hour tour with Pepito Tours . . . thoughts? Think the HOHO would be busy at the end of October? Any idea what to do with the other days? We didn't want to spend too much more and would like to try some things on our own.

(2) Naples: ???? We were thinking Capri and Sorrento on our own. Is that too strenous for the seniors and children? Perhaps only Sorrento? A half day would be plenty.

(3) Rome - We are taking the Rome in Limo tour. Do you think we need to hire the licensed guide as well? How much extra is it?

(4) Livorno (Florence/Pisa) - Another Rome in Limo tour. Any recommendations on what to see. Most of our group wouldn't want to spend hours in museums and art galleries. That being said, should we bother with a tour of Florence/Pisa? Are there a range of things to see? (I'm definitely interested in the Dome in Florence and the Leaning Tower). For both Rome in Limo tours, do I need to ask them to pre-purchase our tickets for the venues? And do I need a licensed guide for Florence/Pisa as well?

(5) Villefranche - should we spend a 1/2 day exploring Villefranche? I don't know how interested the seniors and kids would be in the glitz and glam of Monte Carlo

(6) Provence - ??? Considering a 1/2 day Taste of Provence Tour or similar private tour. Any suggestions?

(7) On board the ship - Do most of the things that require reservations (tickets, excursions, etc.) book up early on the first day? Do you think we'd be missing out on something if we arrive later rather than earlier on embarkation day?

Thanks in advance for your time!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

We did not use the cabs much and when we did they could not speak English or read it very well. Had a hard time getting to where we needed to be. HoHo bus, long lines, so we used Barcelona Day Tours to get around the city. A few more Euros, but they did the job and did it well. We got to see everything we wanted to see in 4 hours. It was great to let someone else do the driving and not have to worry about catching a bus, cab or metro.

Archived