Question about sea bands

jnmrlk

I have been lucky enough not to suffer from sea sickness (fingers crossed it stays that way) however I will be sailing with my daughter and daughter in law and neither knows if they wiill.

I was going to get some sea bands for them but is it recommended to put them on before you board and leave them on or wait until you feel queasy (or by that time will it be to late for the bands to be effective?)

Also are the patches you put behind your ear a better choice?

Any help would be appreciated!

Not sea bands, but you could try Motion Eaze http://www.motioneaze.com/. It is an all natural oil that you dab a drop behind each ear. It got a very positive review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=959331

A big plus is that it can be applied after the onset of symptoms and will still give relief.

If you do use it, post your results. I'm interested because I'm planning on using it on my cruise in October.

I agree we have taken ginger tablets at time of starting to feel queezzy and they ave worked on numerous occassions. You can get them at any vitamin, drug store.

There a two types swallow and chewable, if your not keen on strong ginger taste take the swallow type.

Also staff on the ship will tell you to eat green apples which they always have on the ship.

I have used the sea bands combined with the meclizine/Bonine which I get from the ship's registration desk. I take one tablet every 12 hours in heavy seas and I'm right as rain. When seas aren't heavy, I keep the bands on and I don't seem to have a problem. DH took dramamine and slept the last afternoon and evening of our last cruise. :(

Sea bands and "ginger tablets" is what I always take with me. I wear the sea bands the first day till I see how rough the sea is going to be....we usually cruise in winter so seas going South can get rough. I also take a "ginger tablet" the night before, the day of, and then again that night.....if seas are not too rough I can discontinue the ginger.

For me it's usually a "play it by ear" situation. I can usually tell by how the ship is moving and how my stomach is starting to react as to whether I am going to have a problem.

With the sea bands...all you do is gently press on the pressure button on the band for several seconds and it has always given me relief. Trust me.....I am very very prone to motion sickness.

I have been lucky enough not to suffer from sea sickness (fingers crossed it stays that way) however I will be sailing with my daughter and daughter in law and neither knows if they wiill.

I was going to get some sea bands for them but is it recommended to put them on before you board and leave them on or wait until you feel queasy (or by that time will it be to late for the bands to be effective?)

If sea bands work on me they will work on almost anyone....and they did....I roccommend them highly. I also brought medications and never needed to use them....which is was thankful for because I don't like to take meds unless necessary. And I had one night of very rough seas heading back to NY.

I have been on two cruises so far and the sea bands work very well. On my first cruise last June I had a prescription for the patches. The first day wearing them I felt sick, I took it off after that and just used the sea bands and I was fine. This May, I went to Bermuda and just used the sea bands and I was fine. The first day out to sea we had eleven foot waves and I was fine, the bed was rocking and rolling but that was for only one day. Sometimes it can be a little rough going to Bermuda. Bermuda is well worth it. I am thinking of a third cruise in 2010.:D

I am going to get some ginger tablets and I will also try the lotion behind the ear, I try to stay away from medications if there is a natural alternative.

I will let you know how it all worked out.

I am so excited I can't stand myself!!!!!!:D

I am going to get some ginger tablets and I will also try the lotion behind the ear, I try to stay away from medications if there is a natural alternative.

I will let you know how it all worked out.

I am so excited I can't stand myself!!!!!!:D

See you next Sunday!!!!! I went on one of those gambling boats a few years ago and was very sea sick, I took some dramamine and it made it worse. I will be trying the seabands and bonine this time. both come highly reccomended from CC.

Not sea bands, but you could try Motion Eaze http://www.motioneaze.com/. It is an all natural oil that you dab a drop behind each ear. It got a very positive review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=959331

A big plus is that it can be applied after the onset of symptoms and will still give relief.

If you do use it, post your results. I'm interested because I'm planning on using it on my cruise in October.

Thanks for posting this link. I've never been prone to motion sickness, but I'm a firm believer of hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. We're sailing on the Majesty in October and I figure it can't help to go with numerous remedies just in case. I get occasional vertigo, so their DeVertigo product looked interesting to me as well.

If anyone has used or orders and uses the Motion Eaze, I'd love to hear your results!

THANKS!

I am very prone to seasickness and I have bad reactions to medications so stay away from them. The first time we cruised, I used a patch from the doctor and started seeing double. So from then on, I used the seabands and they work great for me. You have to make sure you put them on correctly though, which isn't difficult. We had some rough seas last March on our cruise and I had no problems at all using the seabands.

I did not care for the patch because it made the eye where the patch was behind my ear very dilated for two days. I got blurry vision and felt dizzy for half of our cruise. I didn't let that ruin our honeymoon, though!

I would like to try the sea bands on our next cruise.

We did get seasick on our last sea day due to rough seas. We took the medication from the front desk and it really helped.

I got sea bands (from Rite aid $9.99ea) then I ordered the Motion ease (with shipping $18.99) - ordered it Sat and they shipped it today - Monday so it should be to NY from Florida by the time I leave.

I also found chewable ginger candy from the grocery store, I think I will have to try the health food store for ginger pills.

As this point I should be well and truly covered - if all else fails I guess it will be brown bags for my daughter and daughter in law!!!!:eek:

I dont usually get seasick....but we will be going to Bermuda next month and I want to be prepared. I looked at the bands at the store and they were about $8.00.....it looked like it had one in the package....not sure. Do you wear one.....or one for each wrist? I may also get the Bonine.

I will let you know how the Motion ease worked, I have heard allot of people praise it.

Apparantly sea sickness has to do with inner ear and you put a drop of this oil behind your ear, not sure how it works from there!!!!

Personally, I don't suffer mal de mere....at all. But, my best friend does. She swears by sea bands and has several pair...including sequined ones for those dressy evenings. I can attest that she was a pitiful cruiser for many years (and it was hers and my job at the time, both being cruise host/tour directors)...she tried every medication that came down the pike and most of those made her dizzy, nauseous and sleepy. When sea bands became available she bought a pair or two.

She's worn them while cruising for 20 years and swears they work....so, that's that..

Being a skeptic, and not suffering from that condition, I still maintain that, for her, it's mind over matter........HA!!:D

My son used the sea bands when were on the Majesty in 2005. This was the only time he actually got sea sick, the bands did help after awhile.

You cannot wear the sea bands in the dining rooms, it violates the dress code! I am just kidding by the way!!! LOL!!!!

We use Bonine and this has been good for all of us and no drowziness.

Mythbusters did a show about seasickness a while ago. Their conclusion was the only thing that worked (for the guys on the show) was ginger.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_43_seasickness_cures_f.html

I use ginger pills, ginger candy, and ginger (dehydrated fruit-looking) which I find by the dried apricots, pineapple, etc in my local Publix.

My Lovely Wife Opal is proned to sea-sickness. On our last cruise She used the seabands and some ginger tablets and had a great time. I bought the ginger tabs at a health food store near Columbus Air Force Base, and the clerk told me that a lot of Air Force pilots buy the ginger tabs to prevent air sickness. If you cant find ginger tabs, just go the bar on board, and order a ginger ale, same results. Now my wife swears by the bands and ginger tabs.

Archived