Taxi to Orient Beach

staceyverdino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you get another 2 people into the cab with you, it will only be $6 pp for a total of $24 round trip for the both of you. Get in a van with 4 or 6 others and the pp price will drop again. Would give you a $20 round trip for you and hubby.

Trust me, every cabbie will do his best to stall you long enough to fill his cab with additional passengers besides yourselves.

So, if the taxis actually charge us the rate specified on the website and there two of us, we will be paying $18 a piece for one way to Orient Beach? Is that correct? If so, that is outrageous! Is there a cheaper way?

What the site actually says is one or two people, $18 total for the trip (each way). Three people, $7 each, and so on.

So, if the taxis actually charge us the rate specified on the website and there two of us, we will be paying $18 a piece for one way to Orient Beach? Is that correct? If so, that is outrageous! Is there a cheaper way?

$18 for one or TWO people - not per person.

As far as getting back to the ship on time - I would be more concerned about traffic - yes there is a "rush hour" in St Martin. It "normally" takes about 15-20 minutes to get from Orient Beach to the dock BUT your ship will want you ON BOARD by 5pm - so personally I would leave Orient Beach - NO LATER than 4pm.

In St Martin all we want to do is go to the beach. The Princess Excursions are $39 without lunch and $59 with lunch. I think that is a bit much for just a few hours at the beach. So where do I tell my Taxi Driver to take me. I'd like to go to Orient beach but is there a place or section that I can go to that has a nice beach with chairs, a restaurant/bar and facitlities to use.

thanks

Just tell the driver you're going to Orient Beach. He'll ask if you want the clothing optional section or the main section. Tell him to drop you at Pedro's. Go left to the clothing optional section, walk right for the main part of the beach. Scope out the bars to see what you like.

Just tell the driver you're going to Orient Beach. He'll ask if you want the clothing optional section or the main section. Tell him to drop you at Pedro's. Go left to the clothing optional section, walk right for the main part of the beach. Scope out the bars to see what you like.

Left/Right? Possibly the reverse of that? We might surprise some people.

Now you all have me so confused I don't think I care how much it is to get to the beach. But one way or the other I will be there.:)

That's the spirit! We figured we came all the way to St. Maarten to spend the day at Orient, why quibble over a few dollars of taxi fare! We got a private taxi for 4 both ways. At the pier, the "handlers" were trying to get us into a large van that was making several stops. They said they would get around to a private taxi "soon." DH said, "forget it," (and oh man did his NY upbringing come out) and went to the next private taxi in line for hire.

We got in and had a great ride over with lots of local info and color. We wanted the same gal for pickup, but she was already booked for the time we wanted. She called a friend, also in the taxi group, he was free so she made the arrangements for pickup. Sure enough, there he was as promised, right on time (in fact we made him wait a few minutes so we could use the restroom). He was very cool, "no problem," and took us to Front St. so my BIL could get a Cuban cigar (he just had to have one). Our driver even offered to wait, but my sister told him not to bother that they would walk or water taxi back. Our driver took DH and I to the pier. He was also very interesting with funny little stories and such.

Naturally, we tipped both drivers well for the extra attention. We just were not going to fret or take the extra time to worry about spending $56 RT (including tip) for the 4 of us to have a great time with no stress or hassle.

beachchick :cool:

I agree with gtaylor - some people might be in for quite a surprise. FACING the ocean - to the far right - Club Orient (Naturist Resort). To the left many beach bars and restaurants with mostly clothed people.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking for a place on Orient Beach that offers a restaurant or two with reasonably priced food, lounge chairs with umbrellas, changing facilities, watersports, music, a bar or two with cheaper drinks. Does this exist on Orient Beach? If not, where would you recommend? Thanks!!!

Archived