Acadia park tour

judeg

T

Last year our time in this port was short - 7-4 but it is a tender port so in all actuality there won't be that much time before the trolley as you need to get that tender pass and then stop off and get a ticket at Oli's even if you paid online they still require you to stop at their office. We stood outside the trolley's about 9:45 amongst the crowd until the drivers got there. It was a sold out tour but we got a good seat by being there early. I didn't see much going on in town as the stores were just opening when our tour began. You could walk around the quaint town if you do get there early and see where you would want to eat lunch after the tour and shop. Its a small town so it doesn't take long to cover it. There is a live webcam online of it. Just google it.

Thanks for the tip on getting there early and the webcam. Last year in

St. John two ladies were not able to get on a ship tour because they were the last ones there and it was overbooked. (they were not late):eek: I had never seen that happen before on the ship tours. I always try to get there early so we get the pick of the seats. This may sound like a silly question but which side of the Oli's Trolley is the best to sit on. Which is more scenic or does it make a difference. My husband and I will even split up so we both get a window seat sometimes. I know it sounds silly but we don't want to miss a thing. I love the shore excursions. The ship is nice but the shore excursions is where its at for me.:) Thanks again for the info.

T

Thanks for the tip on getting there early and the webcam. Last year in

St. John two ladies were not able to get on a ship tour because they were the last ones there and it was overbooked. (they were not late):eek: I had never seen that happen before on the ship tours. I always try to get there early so we get the pick of the seats. This may sound like a silly question but which side of the Oli's Trolley is the best to sit on. Which is more scenic or does it make a difference. My husband and I will even split up so we both get a window seat sometimes. I know it sounds silly but we don't want to miss a thing. I love the shore excursions. The ship is nice but the shore excursions is where its at for me.:) Thanks again for the info.

You will want the left hand side and don't sit in the back. Our guide stopped at all the scenic stops and did a hop off hop on fast...he called it get off and click click (cameras) and get back on so anything scenic we stopped at and got off quickly however not very many did but I got off at every one. The only place we did not get off at was shortly after entering the park there was a view of the ship and later a beautiful site of a Caribbean blue green water at a beach going around the corner. You will also see a beaver dam on the right but he let us get off for the click click. The only time everyone got off was the Jordon House Pond (which do see the Carriage House right before the entrance of the Jordon House Pond) good picture taking and Thunder Hole which wasn't doing very much. If you didn't get a good pic of the shp at the entrance you will get one at the top of Cadillac Mountain but its far away.

Take pics of the fall leaves at one place he stops at before Jordon House Pond and again around Jordon House pond because there is just scrub at the top of the mountain.

This time besides shopping and eating at Route 66, we are going to walk on that shore walk. I am surprised this is the first time I am reading about it.:)

When we took the bus in Denali Park in Alaska we were told to sit on the left behind the driver and it was a fantastic spot. He let me get down into the

part where you get on and off the bus and he opened the bus door to snap a picture. When you saw wildlife you were not able to get off but take a picture thru the open window so this was a prime spot. Thanks for the tip I will make sure to get there early.

In Newport we are taking an early tour called Scenes of Newport. It is a tour of Ocean Drive and some of the historical sites in town. Any suggestion on what side to sit on, on this tour. Thanks again for the info. :)

We sat right behind the driver also allowing a quick get off and on at the stops.

We missed Newport due to rough seas and the NorEaster storm. That was when our ship got damaged on the Lido deck and at each port thereafter we were late leaving due to repairs but we didn't get to stay at the port and still had to be back to the ship at the scheduled time.

Are you taking the Caribbean Princess? If so, when you go to Boston the Constitution will be closed for touring if you planned that due to it being a Monday, this trip on the Crown Princess we will arrive on a Saturday so we can see it.

• 3 weeks later...

We're going to be visiting Bar Harbor in mid October and would like to bike into Acadia. We've been advised by Acadia Bike that the bike shop is about a mile from the Carriage Trail park entrance-- will there be a lot of traffic along this mile?

The carriage road entrance that I am familiar with is 2.9 miles from Acadia Bike, Cottage St. It is the Eagle Lake entrance. It is on state road 233 which is 2 lane with soft breakdown lanes. For traffic, since your visit is in October, you will be faced with the annual migration of the leaf peepers :D that swamp Acadia National Park then. This would be a hilly ride.

There is another CR entrance on Duck Pond Road which is about 1.8 miles from Acadia Bike, Cottage St. This is more on a country road with no breakdown lanes with less traffic but you'll still be facing those pesky leaf peepers :(.

If your visit is before Columbus Day. observed, there is bike hauling bus that makes trips to the Eagle Lake entrance from the Bar Harbor Village Green. This is all part of the free bus service, Island Explorer.

SBtS

My wife and I booked our Acadia bus trip thru the cruise line (NCL) in Sept 08 and enjoyed it immensely. The only problem we had was the stop on Mt Cadillac was way too short-------like 20 minutes. My only advice is that you choose a tour that will give you 50-60 minutes at the summit. If there are additional costs, go for it.

We sat right behind the driver also allowing a quick get off and on at the stops.

We missed Newport due to rough seas and the NorEaster storm. That was when our ship got damaged on the Lido deck and at each port thereafter we were late leaving due to repairs but we didn't get to stay at the port and still had to be back to the ship at the scheduled time.

Are you taking the Caribbean Princess? If so, when you go to Boston the Constitution will be closed for touring if you planned that due to it being a Monday, this trip on the Crown Princess we will arrive on a Saturday so we can see it.

We will be on the Carribbean Princess but plan on taking the Lexington and Concord Tour but thanks for the heads up on the Constitution.:)

smitty3000 asked: ....In Newport we are taking an early tour called Scenes of Newport. It is a tour of Ocean Drive and some of the historical sites in town. Any suggestion on what side to sit on, on this tour....

If the tour starts on Ocean Drive, be seated on right side of the bus because your view right will be of the ocean. If the tour ends on Ocean Drive, then sit on the left side because the view of the ocean is on the left.

I found where you posted a description of the tour: ...travels along scenic 10-Mile Ocean Drive, and ventures down Bellevue Avenue.... If the tour is done in the same order as in the description. then sitting on the right side of the bus will put you with an ocean view along Ocean Drive; plus it will put you with the mansion view along Bellevue Ave.

I've read the detail description you posted of the tour a few times. To me, it would be logical for the bus to continue south from the tender dock to Ocean Drive and do the tour circle CCW than any other way.

SBtS

The carriage road entrance that I am familiar with is 2.9 miles from Acadia Bike, Cottage St. It is the Eagle Lake entrance. It is on state road 233 which is 2 lane with soft breakdown lanes. For traffic, since your visit is in October, you will be faced with the annual migration of the leaf peepers :D that swamp Acadia National Park then. This would be a hilly ride.

There is another CR entrance on Duck Pond Road which is about 1.8 miles from Acadia Bike, Cottage St. This is more on a country road with no breakdown lanes with less traffic but you'll still be facing those pesky leaf peepers :(.

If your visit is before Columbus Day. observed, there is bike hauling bus that makes trips to the Eagle Lake entrance from the Bar Harbor Village Green. This is all part of the free bus service, Island Explorer.

SBtS

Many thanks for this information-- we'll be visiting after Columbus Day so I reckon it'll be us and those "pesky leaf peepers"!

smitty3000 asked: ....In Newport we are taking an early tour called Scenes of Newport. It is a tour of Ocean Drive and some of the historical sites in town. Any suggestion on what side to sit on, on this tour....

If the tour starts on Ocean Drive, be seated on right side of the bus because your view right will be of the ocean. If the tour ends on Ocean Drive, then sit on the left side because the view of the ocean is on the left.

I found where you posted a description of the tour: ...travels along scenic 10-Mile Ocean Drive, and ventures down Bellevue Avenue.... If the tour is done in the same order as in the description. then sitting on the right side of the bus will put you with an ocean view along Ocean Drive; plus it will put you with the mansion view along Bellevue Ave.

I've read the detail description you posted of the tour a few times. To me, it would be logical for the bus to continue south from the tender dock to Ocean Drive and do the tour circle CCW than any other way.

SBtS

Thanks for this info.:)

We took Oli's Trolley's last October and did stop at the Jordon House but it was only for about 20 minutes. I think both tours were short at Jordon House as the other tour, the green bus was there for the same amount of time. Apparently, the other place Oli's normally stops at was nothing to see so they changed it. We went for the fall color but we were too late.

You say you went for the fall color but were to late, what is to late?

Hoping that this years fall colors are better than last year ... as it was a year of leaves turning brown with very little color. I will be in on a cruise during peak this year, but we usually find Columbus Day weekend to be peak. The other morning it was 50 degrees here and I've noticed that some trees are changing slightly ... it still looks as if the October 7-15 will be peak. Jan

You say you went for the fall color but were to late, what is to late?

The cruise left NY on Oct. 17th so we went to Bar Harbor on Oct. 20th and then we took a road trip to Virginia and missed those leaves also after we got off the ship on Oct. 24th.

Archived