Plane Tickets?

CarnivalGirl3

Where's a good place to find plane tickets? Dh's first search popped up $1200. we can't do that. Mil already booked the cruise (without talking with us or getting confirmation we wanted or could go).

Dh has to pay for the plane tickets. any help would be great!

We'll be flight to SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO from Dallas Dec 15th/16th and flying back Dec 20. (might be able to do fly back dec21 if there is a good price decrease. would have save more than I make since i'll be talking an unpaid vacation day).

Thanks!

All you have to do is pay for flights and you get a free cruise? :confused:

While I can understand a little of your frustration, and this is harsh but, the first picture that came to my mind was,,, a child stomping their feet and holding their breath.

.... Mil already booked the cruise (without talking with us or getting confirmation we wanted or could go)............!

How inconsiderate of her!

I will adopt her, or she can adopt me rather, and we'll see if my DW has any issues with her new MIL. :D

San Juan is one of the more expensive ports to fly from, because its simply a matter of supply and demand. There aren't as many flights into San Juan as say Miami/Fort Lauderdale on a daily basis - and especially near the Holidays airfare is always at a premium.

Aside from having a TA working for you ;), check the airlines sites directly (AA will probably be your best bet, Jetblue if you could get a cheapie on Southwest into Hobby and then switching, possibly Continental as well). Check often, as prices can change several times a day!

There are some really big national sites that you see advertised on tv & in the papers (but which shall remain nameless here - board policy) that will search more than one airline at a time, but not all carriers come up... so it'll take a bit of work, but keep at it. You may see them go down a little bit, but be prepared for a bite. Do you have any points/miles you can use to reduce even one of the tickets?

Just consider yourself lucky you don't have to pay what we pay to fly from Canadian airports! Hope you're able to get things worked out & enjoy your cruise!

You've done nothing but complain about taking this cruise(i.e.-yesterday's post). Why don't you do your MIL a favor and tell her she should take someone who would appreciate her generosity. I'm sure she would be eternally grateful not to have such a miserable person with her while she is trying to enjoy her vacation!

sorry, I wasn't trying to sound spoiled. Was explaining why we didn't look into a flight BEFORE booking the cruise. which is what we would have done, had we had a chance (and what we will do if we plan our own). Figured if I said, we booked a cruise now need a flight i'd get flamed for NOT figuring the price of the flight before hand. :cool: Just panicked when dh told me the cost of the flights he was finding. If we don't go because we can't afford the flight, then MIL's out what's she's paid.

Thanks I Am Canadian, Eh! I'll pass that to dh. We've never had book a flight before, this is our first time. While i've flown, i've never been the one making the arrangements. We do have points i know we can use for hotels, but not sure if they can go air.

Thanks for bringing up the points, my bank card gives us points when I use it, and i've never used them.

Thanks lennel!

You've done nothing but complain about taking this cruise(i.e.-yesterday's post). Why don't you do your MIL a favor and tell her she should take someone who would appreciate her generosity. I'm sure she would be eternally grateful not to have such a miserable person with her while she is trying to enjoy her vacation!

You do not know what the OPs situation is. The cruise may be free but airfare for a cruise she did not book is not. I would not have $1200 EXTRA + whatever extra it is going to cost right at Christmas to spend and I have a lot of disposable cash.

Just did a real quick search on AA

AA1906 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Dec 13, 2009 09:00 AM MIA Miami Dec 13, 2009 12:45 PM

AA1700 MIA Miami Dec 13, 2009 03:15 PM SJU San Juan Dec 13, 2009 06:55 PM

AA588 SJU San Juan Dec 21, 2009 04:00 PM MIA Miami Dec 21, 2009 05:50 PM

AA588 MIA Miami Dec 21, 2009 06:50 PM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Dec 21, 2009 09:05PM

Fare Summary

Departure Fare per Person 134.00 USD

Return Fare per Person 174.00 USD

Total Fare per Person 308.00 USD

Additional Taxes and Fees per Person * 53.20 USD

Total Price 361.20 USD

So looks like we all might have some better news for you...

Looks like the OP is on the Victory and gave the wrong dates. The cruise leaves on the 13th. Delta has rates of $328pp. I also used Kayak. Great site. :)

Bill

opps. sorry. it would help if I checked dec. and not aug on my calendar.

Thanks. much more in our price range.

(please remember, we haven't had time to save for this trip. we'll have gas, parking, boarding the animals, tips, flights, cabs, possible unpaid vacation days, plus money for anything else we want to do. a cruise is great...just kinda not what we had money saved for at this time.)

Just did a real quick search on AA

AA1906 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Dec 13, 2009 09:00 AM MIA Miami Dec 13, 2009 12:45 PM

AA1700 MIA Miami Dec 13, 2009 03:15 PM SJU San Juan Dec 13, 2009 06:55 PM

AA588 SJU San Juan Dec 21, 2009 04:00 PM MIA Miami Dec 21, 2009 05:50 PM

AA588 MIA Miami Dec 21, 2009 06:50 PM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Dec 21, 2009 09:05PM

Fare Summary

Departure Fare per Person 134.00 USD

Return Fare per Person 174.00 USD

Total Fare per Person 308.00 USD

Additional Taxes and Fees per Person * 53.20 USD

Total Price 361.20 USD

So looks like we all might have some better news for you...

:D

YOU ARE AWESOME!! I'm not sure where dh searched, but we're overjoyed it won't be $1200.

Thanks guys! Great to find help. Never booked a flight before...had no idea where to start.

Well if it ends up you are not finding flights within the budget you have to work with or the extra costs i.e. boarding animals, parking, etc... just make it impossible to go, you could always just tell that generous inlaw THANKS you cant go, and have them cancel your booking and get the deposits back or get another family member that is able to go w/out budget restraints.

There is no good place to find airfare. You just have to start looking around for the best price from where you live and are flying too. What air line might be cheaper for one person might be different for you.

I don't know, I always find kayak.com to be a good pleace to find airfare.

Bill

Thats because Kayak searches for airfare from all other websites and combines what it finds.

It basically does what you can do on your own. I personally, I dislike kayak and find it difficult to navigate. I like searching each airline or one of the online travel agencies much more

Thats because Kayak searches for airfare from all other websites and combines what it finds.

It basically does what you can do on your own. I personally, I dislike kayak and find it difficult to navigate. I like searching each airline or one of the online travel agencies much more

Kayak is a GREAT TOOL and eliminates exactly what you say you are doing by visiting various airline websites. I have no problem plugging in gate ways and dates of travel.... sure beats going to each airlines website and plugging in the info numerous times !

Archived