Unrealistic budget?

My husband and I are leaving in four days. We have already booked and paid for our excursions through outside venders. We are taking a 5 day cruise. My husband doesn't drink alcohol I drink some. We don't want to be number crunching all week, we also don't have a large amount of spending cash. Is $700 reasonable?

We both drink, but not excessively and with tips added we don't spend $700 unless we are acting as hosts for a group. I think you will have money leftover for a nice dinner to commiserate over the fact that your cruise is over the week after;)

My husband and I are both students, so we have the typical college student credit limit. We will give it to them, but it only has $500 on it. We definately will not spend more than we already have saved, we have enough student loans!:)

Unless you do some serious shopping. We are moderate drinkers and have maybe a $125 bar bill at the end most 7 day cruises. I should add that we take along our own wine and pay a corkage fee each evening, so that would bring our total to $195 for the week.

You will be able to check your balance either through your cabin TV, or go to the pursers desk. If you set up a cash account, they will ask for a set amount, then contact you if your account is getting low.

Based on my experience as a "moderate" drinker, I would budget $30-40/day for drinks. At $5 or so each w/ tip, it can add up quickly! A couple of drinks at the pool, a couple w/ dinner, and a couple while dancing or at a show, and $30 adds up VERY quickly! We didn't do the spa, shopped very little on board, did do a bit of bingo. We did gamble quite a bit, but we won quite a bit the first day, so we figure we gambled more than we would have if we had lost! We did do a bit of shopping on shore--you can get some real bargains if you try.

I think you can certainly get by on $700. As college students, you are probably quite used to a tight budget. Avoid bingo (adds up at $10 or $20 a pop!), gambling, spa, ship excursions.

Drinks of the day are theoretically cheaper, and buckets of beer are usually 6 for the price of 5. If your ship allows you to bring alcohol on, this is a REAL money saver! $15 corkage fee is a bit steep for me--I'm fond of a $12 wine! I could get 3 cocktails on the ship for the corkage fee

Happy cruising!

Kristin

Archived