Condensation

I recently returned from a beach vacation and was highly frustrated with condensation due to the very high humidity. I had a single bout, but short lived as a result of the temp change from cabin to balcony, but this past week left me unable to use the camera when I wanted to.

In an effort to avoid this in the future, are there any things that I can do to keep the camera better equalized to the outdoors before I get there. I usually keep my camera and lenses packed up in the camera bag.

I recently returned from a beach vacation and was highly frustrated with condensation due to the very high humidity. I had a single bout, but short lived as a result of the temp change from cabin to balcony, but this past week left me unable to use the camera when I wanted to.

In an effort to avoid this in the future, are there any things that I can do to keep the camera better equalized to the outdoors before I get there. I usually keep my camera and lenses packed up in the camera bag.

When headed to the humidity zone, I carry a small reptile cage heater like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Reptitherm-Under-Heater-10-20-gallons/dp/B00076HTYC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251113506&sr=8-8

They are small and flat and easy to pack. I close it on the bag and leave it on when I'm going to be in the room for a while. It keeps the cameras and lenses at 80° to 90° and they will not fog up when you go out. I have thought of emptying my bag and putting it on the bottom permanently, but there is always something more important to do...

When on a tour in an air-conditioned bus, I keep the camera close to my body .

Dave

When headed to the humidity zone, I carry a small reptile cage heater like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Reptitherm-Under-Heater-10-20-gallons/dp/B00076HTYC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251113506&sr=8-8

They are small and flat and easy to pack. I close it on the bag and leave it on when I'm going to be in the room for a while. It keeps the cameras and lenses at 80° to 90° and they will not fog up when you go out. I have thought of emptying my bag and putting it on the bottom permanently, but there is always something more important to do...

When on a tour in an air-conditioned bus, I keep the camera close to my body .

Dave

Dave thanks so much. I have very few shots and I was was flipping!

You can also try puting the camera inside a sealed plastic bag or dry bag (available from campins supply stores) with some dessicant packs. Keep the camera inside the bag when heading from cold to warm until the camera has warmed.

If on a cruise where the cabin is colder than out on the balcony I leave the camera & lenses outside in plastic bags so they stay aclimated to the temperature. The bags protect them from salt air/spray and dirt. I also keep the cabin hairdryer plugged-in and ready to go. I hit the objective (front) lens with the hairdryer for a minute to warm it before heading outside. Same idea as Pierces with the warming pad but faster and less thorough and possibly more damaging to the lens.

Archived