drinking water

sparkyrmc

what is the situation regarding drinking water in the cabins and public areas,is it provided free or do we have to pay for the privalage,it will be much appreciated if someone can enlighten me.

All the tap water in the cabins is fine to drink, you can also get it from kings court, otherwise you pay for bottled, I think the one in the cabi is free if you chat up the steward though

what is the situation regarding drinking water in the cabins and public areas,is it provided free or do we have to pay for the privalage,it will be much appreciated if someone can enlighten me.

No problem drinking the tap water in the cabin. You will also get your ice bucket topped up once per day - oftener if you ask your cabin steward.

J

Bottled water in the cabin is complementary for Grills. Otherwise, chat or no chat, the steward will leave you a receipt for each bottle you remove from Britannia staterooms. Bottled water is usually available for sale just before the gangway should you be on a cruise. The tap water, I would agree, is fine.

All the tap water is desalienated sea water. Extremely filtered and treated. Better than the water at home.
I'm a big geek and I brought my TDS meter with me to check the level of total dissolved solids in the water. Purified bottled water has 0 or 1, tap water here in Vancouver is 14, and QM2 was reading at 42.

Not that that is necessarily bad - spring water tends toward 40 - 100 it just at least with bottled spring water I know what the particle are. On the ship I wonder if it's either salt or metals leached from pipes. :eek: :D

Ok, here's my take on it. The water is quite obviously not safe to drink, what with the recommendations to buy bottled water, or to test it before drinking. Personally, I have never had a problem with the stuff that comes out of the tap, but I now realise that I have been wrong. It is all part of a conspiracy.

The tap water has additives in it that cause those who imbibe to develop uncontrollable urges to return to the ship at every opportunity. Also, there are agents supplied by clothing manufacturers, designed to ensure that the attire brought on board will never fit again and, therefore will result in considerable spend on the high street. It is known as the "Assisted Revenue Scheme for Expansion". With this knowledge, and now that I have brought it into the open, I expect that you will all toddle off to revise your stock holdings.

:)

I hear its often cheaper to just buy fresh water in port that desalinate seawater.

I had the privilege of sitting at the Chief Engineer's table on my last cruise, and I asked about the drinking water.

It is seawater that is distilled using the waste heat of the engines.

Ships like the QM2 and QV are under motor most of the time, so there is a lot of waste heat available. - even in port they still have to power the electricity, so there's always something running.

Hi I am new to the board' date=' and am really enjoying reading all the forums. I will be going on the QM2 Labour Day Cruise . I was wondering if there is such a thing on board as a place to buy toiletries, water, pop , sort of like drug store items?

Many Thanks,[/quote']

Yes , there's stores on board where you may buy the above items , and clothes and jewelery as well . I feel compelled to mention however that you'll pay premium price so why not visit the drugstore enroute to the ship ?

Ok, here's my take on it. The water is quite obviously not safe to drink, what with the recommendations to buy bottled water, or to test it before drinking. Personally, I have never had a problem with the stuff that comes out of the tap, but I now realise that I have been wrong. It is all part of a conspiracy.

The tap water has additives in it that cause those who imbibe to develop uncontrollable urges to return to the ship at every opportunity. Also, there are agents supplied by clothing manufacturers, designed to ensure that the attire brought on board will never fit again and, therefore will result in considerable spend on the high street. It is known as the "Assisted Revenue Scheme for Expansion". With this knowledge, and now that I have brought it into the open, I expect that you will all toddle off to revise your stock holdings.

:)

Thanks

I knew it had to be something in the water. :D

Bottled water in the cabin is complementary for Grills. Otherwise, chat or no chat, the steward will leave you a receipt for each bottle you remove from Britannia staterooms. Bottled water is usually available for sale just before the gangway should you be on a cruise. The tap water, I would agree, is fine.

I can assure you, your wrong, I have been given bottled wated and not be charged, had a little note next to it as well, with compliments??

I can assure you, your wrong, I have been given bottled wated and not be charged, had a little note next to it as well, with compliments??

Your assurances notwithstanding, I am not disputing that you finagled a freebie. As previously reported by you with respect to hotel breakfasts, it seems to be a talent of yours. But your personal experience should not be generalized.

Again, I would point out to others in Britannia staterooms who might take your advice (chat up the steward and (s)he may look the other way in re: bottled water) that the water clearly has a price and they should not be surprised to be billed (Grills excepted, where it is specifically comped - perhaps you were in the Grills?).

Perhaps those who take your lead could send you their invoices?

I can think of no circumstances dire enough to require negotiations with the cabin steward...

Unless you are hoping for a very naughty towel animal.:eek:

Sticking the tap water in the 'fridge helps no end, as it's a tad tepid.

Yes, but do mind that you don't trip over the hose.:D

Unless you are hoping for a very naughty towel animal.:eek:

If it were Sir M-shaped, I would expect free bottled water for the rest of my life:eek:. A steward did once tamper with my pyjamas (I wasn't wearing them at the time), after which I hid them: it somehow seemed a bit of an invasion.

Good taste precludes me commenting on the subject of hoses: this is a first:).

Mary

I suppose some people just get a thrill out of getting something for free. Each to his own, I suppose.;)

I guess being in Canada we are spoilt with our often free refills on drinks. Although I can't help think it is a bit on the tight side not to offer free water considering we are paying thousands of dollars. Just one of those niggly things :rolleyes: Just saying, I guess for us in steerage we will just lap the water out of the tap :D

Archived