Driving from Seattle Pier to Eugene, Oregon

wizard-of-roz

You shouldn't have too much trouble driving under the speed limit in Washington--the locals all drive sl-o-o-ow, and do it in the left lane! On two-lane highways, even with frequent, paved turnouts and signs reminding slow drivers they're required to use them, no one ever does. And don't even get me started about the trouble they have here with "Yield" signs, roundabouts, and four-way stops! By the end of my first visit to Washington (I lived in California then), I realized that if I moved here, I was going to have to learn to slow down, or else be in jail by the end of my first year for vehicular manslaughter!

I have gotten the lead out of my foot by now--well, mostly--but even though I've lived here for sixteen years now, I am not, nor ever will I be, a Washington driver! :cool:

Thanks for the "head-up" on Washington drivers [very funny, I think!?:(]......I've pretty much driven all over the world. I have never seen drivers like the ones on the Autobaun in Switzerland....scared the life out of me!!!!!!

After that experience, I can do anything......remember, I live in L.A. L.A. drivers are the most "entitled" people in the entire world [i swear they got their license's from the Swiss.] :eek:

Hey! When driving from Redding, Ca. to Eugene, Oregon, it was absolutely filled with views of mountainscape and beautiful flora and fawna. Maybe it was in a distance but it sure looked good to me!

And, I love farmland and all that goes with it! I'm ready for it!

Redding to Eugene is predominately mountain passes and forest. Eugene is at the south end of the Willamette Valley, so this is where the scenery changes from forest to grass.

Redding to Eugene is predominately mountain passes and forest. Eugene is at the south end of the Willamette Valley, so this is where the scenery changes from forest to grass.

I'm ready for it! Next Wednesday we leave for Redding; Thursday it's Eugene [forest/grass] then Tukwila, Wa.

Saturday, the ship leaves and that's the best part!

I'm ready for it! Next Wednesday we leave for Redding; Thursday it's Eugene [forest/grass] then Tukwila, Wa.

If you're staying in Redding, and you enjoy a good steak, you have to eat it Jack's Bar & Grill http://www.jacksgrillredding.com/. It's a local institution, and make no mistake, it's a dive. But the steaks...on my!! You may have to wait for a table, bu tit's worth it!

If you're staying in Redding, and you enjoy a good steak, you have to eat it Jack's Bar & Grill http://www.jacksgrillredding.com/. It's a local institution, and make no mistake, it's a dive. But the steaks...on my!! You may have to wait for a table, bu tit's worth it!

We're staying at the Best Western Hilltop Inn, on Hilltop Drive. Do you know how far we'll be from Jack's Grill on California Street? We'd love to try it!

I agree that you will never do it in less than 5 hours. Taking 205 South when you are in Vancouver will take an extra 10 minutes or so but well worth it to avoid the Portland city traffic, especially near Janzten Beach. You will take I5 south to 205S all the way until you hook up with I5 south again, well south of Portland. Game day will add about an hour. The Campbell House is a B&B centrally located and will knock your socks off

We're staying at the Best Western Hilltop Inn, on Hilltop Drive. Do you know how far we'll be from Jack's Grill on California Street? We'd love to try it!

It's not far--Redding isn't all that big! I'm guessing it's under 5 miles. You'll want to go south on Hilltop Drive to Cypress Avenue and turn right; go across the river and turn right on Pine Street; turn left on Placer Street and go a couple of blocks to California Street, and turn left again. Jack's will be on the left side of the street. Go early if you can--they don't take reservations and it can get crowded.

Again--don't expect anything elegant! Jack's has been there since the 1930's, when California Street was the place where the miners and railroad men and construction workers building Shasta Dam came for booze and women and fights. They pride themselves on not having changed much since then, except that the bordello upstairs is gone, and the clientèle is a little more sedate these days. The menu couldn't be much more basic--steaks, prawns, scallops, and fried chicken. The salad I had was iceberg lettuce with a few canned green beans on top. But the steaks...OH MY. Last time I was there I got the "small" filet mignon (10 oz.--there's a 16 oz. one too!), done medium, for $23.45. It came charred just enough on the outside, pink and tender beyond belief on the inside, and the flavor was out of this world!

I grew up in Redding, always hearing about Jack's, but I never got there until I went back for my 30th high school reunion. All I can say is, why did I wait so long? Jack's will beat the heck out of any of the chain restaurants you'll find out along Hilltop Drive.

Hope you enjoy!

It's not far--Redding isn't all that big! I'm guessing it's under 5 miles. You'll want to go south on Hilltop Drive to Cypress Avenue and turn right; go across the river and turn right on Pine Street; turn left on Placer Street and go a couple of blocks to California Street, and turn left again. Jack's will be on the left side of the street. Go early if you can--they don't take reservations and it can get crowded.

Again--don't expect anything elegant! Jack's has been there since the 1930's, when California Street was the place where the miners and railroad men and construction workers building Shasta Dam came for booze and women and fights. They pride themselves on not having changed much since then, except that the bordello upstairs is gone, and the clientèle is a little more sedate these days. The menu couldn't be much more basic--steaks, prawns, scallops, and fried chicken. The salad I had was iceberg lettuce with a few canned green beans on top. But the steaks...OH MY. Last time I was there I got the "small" filet mignon (10 oz.--there's a 16 oz. one too!), done medium, for $23.45. It came charred just enough on the outside, pink and tender beyond belief on the inside, and the flavor was out of this world!

I grew up in Redding, always hearing about Jack's, but I never got there until I went back for my 30th high school reunion. All I can say is, why did I wait so long? Jack's will beat the heck out of any of the chain restaurants you'll find out along Hilltop Drive.

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for all the info. We'll try it!

Driving from Seattle Pier to Eugene, Oregon

As an highway engineer for the wonderful state of Washington I want to welcome you to our roads. Sorry for all of the construction you may run into:o, but we really are trying to make things better.;)

As a means of help, the link below will allow you to see areas of construction, and get other travel info.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/Southwest/

Enjoy the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

As an highway engineer for the wonderful state of Washington I want to welcome you to our roads. Sorry for all of the construction you may run into:o, but we really are trying to make things better.;)

As a means of help, the link below will allow you to see areas of construction, and get other travel info.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/Southwest/

Enjoy the trip.

We had a fabulous trip on your glorious roads. We were leaving L.A. with all the fires surrounding us, with the acrid air. Going to Washington was a relief. And, we didn't hit any "snags".....it seemed there was more in Oregon, than Washington.

Interstate 5 sure has the best Rest Area's for getting out and stretching!

How was your "game day" experience, both driving and being in Eugene?

We hit the road, in Seattle, heading for Eugene at about 10:00am. I used "MapQuest" and every single one of the personal directions all of you guys gave me......they were so much easier to follow than the "MapQuest" directions.

As we were driving, the cars on the road had streamers, banners, flags, etc., etc. It went pretty smoothly, there were some slow periods but really nothing of great significance.....everyone was anxious to get to the same place we were but for different reasons.

When we got to the hotel "Valley River Inn", in Eugene. That was the worst. We had had reservations for 6 months and had no knowledge of any special event and, the person taking our reservations [done directly with the hotel], never gave us any "heads-up" either that their may be some delays or problems at check-in, due to a football game.

Well, the Purdue team were all staying in our hotel and had not checked out yet! Mind you, it was now 3:45 in the afternoon, we were exhausted and really ready to check-in, relax and go to dinner.

The person at the front desk said, "I have good news and bad news, your reservations are in but your room will not be ready until this evening." I wasn't alone.....there were about 10 other people, in line with me and many of them were truly going ballistic. I had just come from an amazing journey to Alaska on a beautiful cruise ship....although, I was tired and hungry, I really shouldn't have had too much to complain about....except an elderly husband [who was melting down and a Service Dog, both of whom needed attention!]

I told the gal at the front desk that this was not acceptable and we needed to "unload" and get settled, "now!" Well, she had had enough from all the folks attacking her and "weakened" with me. She put us in an upgraded room facing the Willamette River and short of Alaska, this room had the most magnificent view of one of Eugene's true treasures!

Although the crowds and I mean CROWDS of people going to the game was overwhelming at times.....all in all, the trip to Eugene both on the road and in the hotel was not too bad!!!!!! We could go, hide in our room, sit on the patio and watch folks walking, running and biking past the river!

Six months ago, the game was probably scheduled for a 12:30 start, which would have got the Purdue people out in the morning. The game was rescheduled for the evening because of television. I think all visiting teams stay at the Inn, so I imagine they have to be accommodating to their changing needs. Sure glad you got the upgrade! We stayed in one of those river rooms for New Year's - it is a great view if you can ignore the I-105 bridge!

Six months ago, the game was probably scheduled for a 12:30 start, which would have got the Purdue people out in the morning. The game was rescheduled for the evening because of television. I think all visiting teams stay at the Inn, so I imagine they have to be accommodating to their changing needs. Sure glad you got the upgrade! We stayed in one of those river rooms for New Year's - it is a great view if you can ignore the I-105 bridge![/quote]

Very easy to do, with all those magnificent trees and the bridge is not such an awful sight, it adds to the flavor of the river!

Archived