Driving from Seattle Pier to Eugene, Oregon

wizard-of-roz

Best case is ~ 4.5 hours straight down I-5.

There are pinch points in Seattle/Tacoma and Vancouver/Portland. Depending on the time of day you can easily get stuck for an hour or more in each place. There really are few detour alternatives if traffic gets backed up.

I've done the Portland to Seattle in as short as 3 and half and have seen it take me 5 hours too :mad:

Good luck.

Pretty straightforward, just take I-5 south. In Portland, you can take I-405 which is supposed to take you around the city, but the city has grown up so much I find I-5 is about the same if not faster. Try to find an AM station with traffic advisories when you get close to Vancouver, WA to tell you if one or the other is backed up. Where are you going in Eugene? I can help with local navigation.

Pretty straightforward, just take I-5 south. In Portland, you can take I-405 which is supposed to take you around the city, but the city has grown up so much I find I-5 is about the same if not faster. Try to find an AM station with traffic advisories when you get close to Vancouver, WA to tell you if one or the other is backed up. Where are you going in Eugene? I can help with local navigation.

Valley River Inn (1000 Valley River Way)....we'll be staying there for 2 nights, to visit family. September 12th and 13th. I'm told there's a lot of different highways and freeways. If you have a suggested route, that would be great!

The last few times we have come through Portland, we have found I 5 and 405 have a lot of construction. We just drove it on Sunday and took I 205 and it was a breeze. No construction at all. It is a few miles further than I 5 but in my opinion much faster. I did not time the trip from Seattle to Eugene because we made several stops and stayed with family along the way. But if I had to guess I would say between 4 and 5 hours without extended stops. Have a great trip!

The last few times we have come through Portland, we have found I 5 and 405 have a lot of construction. We just drove it on Sunday and took I 205 and it was a breeze. No construction at all. It is a few miles further than I 5 but in my opinion much faster. I did not time the trip from Seattle to Eugene because we made several stops and stayed with family along the way. But if I had to guess I would say between 4 and 5 hours without extended stops. Have a great trip!

Wonderful, thank you for the information!

the drive from the pier to Eugene is 5-6 hours. depending on construction and traffic. from pier, get onto I-5. head straight south. take I-205 around portland (but listen to traffic reports). head south on I-5.

the hotel is off I-5 in more the center of town I think--eugene is not right on I-5.

I drive this 2-3 times a year and this is really the best way.

Wonderful, thank you for the information!

Hey Roz,

You are welcome. I have been to Valley River Center many times but didn't know what the exit #'s were. So I looked on my map program. You will want to take exit 195B from I-5 and head west on what is called The Beltline. Approximately 3 miles you will exit off the Beltline to Delta Hwy. Head south on the Delta Hwy. Take the Valley River Drive exit and you will see the Valley River Inn. If you cross the Willamette River you went to far. But seriously if you get to and go south on the Delta Hwy. You can't miss the Valley River Inn. It is at the same exit as the Valley River Center which is a pretty good sized Mall.

Hey Roz,

You are welcome. I have been to Valley River Center many times but didn't know what the exit #'s were. So I looked on my map program. You will want to take exit 195B from I-5 and head west on what is called The Beltline. Approximately 3 miles you will exit off the Beltline to Delta Hwy. Head south on the Delta Hwy. Take the Valley River Drive exit and you will see the Valley River Inn. If you cross the Willamette River you went to far. But seriously if you get to and go south on the Delta Hwy. You can't miss the Valley River Inn. It is at the same exit as the Valley River Center which is a pretty good sized Mall.

Thank you so much this is exactly what I needed.......I don't know what I'd do sometimes without the assistance of Cruise Critic folks, such as yourself!

So helpful!

Roz

Sorry, I did mean I-205, not I-405. DOH!

You will never do the trip in under 5 hours unless it is the middle of the night with no traffic in Seattle, Tacoma or Portland and you go quite a bit over the speed limit.

the drive from the pier to Eugene is 5-6 hours. depending on construction and traffic. from pier, get onto I-5. head straight south. take I-205 around portland (but listen to traffic reports). head south on I-5.

the hotel is off I-5 in more the center of town I think--eugene is not right on I-5.

I drive this 2-3 times a year and this is really the best way.

Eugene is on the west side (right) of I-5, Springfield is on the east side (left).

Hey Roz,

This is probably the easiest way to get there. Further info:

- Delta Hwy south is a left when you get off of the Beltline (in case you are directionally challenged).

- Once you get off at the Valley River Drive exit, go straight at the light. The mall will be on your right, a strip mall will be on your left. At the end of Valley River Drive is the Inn.

Sorry, I did mean I-205, not I-405. DOH!

You will never do the trip in under 5 hours unless it is the middle of the night with no traffic in Seattle, Tacoma or Portland and you go quite a bit over the speed limit.

Eugene is on the west side (right) of I-5, Springfield is on the east side (left).

This is probably the easiest way to get there. Further info:

- Delta Hwy south is a left when you get off of the Beltline (in case you are directionally challenged).

- Once you get off at the Valley River Drive exit, go straight at the light. The mall will be on your right, a strip mall will be on your left. At the end of Valley River Drive is the Inn.

Thank you so much for the additional help. I can be very directionally challenged, especially after a week of cruising.

I'll come back and let all of you know how it went.

September 12 will be game day in Eugene. Kick-off vs. Purdue is 7:15 p.m.

Traffic on I-5 south from Portland will be heavier than usual, probably beginning early afternoon. That shouldn't mess things up too much, but I wouldn't count on doing the Portland-Eugene leg in less than two hours if you hit Portland in the early-to-mid afternoon.

Also, I would expect more than the usual number of state troopers out that afternoon.

Traffic on I-5 south from Portland will be heavier than usual, probably beginning early afternoon. That shouldn't mess things up too much, but I wouldn't count on doing the Portland-Eugene leg in less than two hours if you hit Portland in the early-to-mid afternoon.

Also, I would expect more than the usual number of state troopers out that afternoon.

Crud, forgot about football games. The Huskies are playing at home in Seattle that day too, 12:30 kickoff, although they are playing the University of Idaho so it may not be as crazy there, and you will be going away from the game once you get on I-5. I see you disembark starting at 7AM. My suggestion would be to get on the road ASAP!

Thank you for this information....We've traveled I-5 through Oregon before and couldn't believe the number of people who were pulled over on the highway.

When we stopped for gas (of which was a true eye-opener) because you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. We asked the gas station attendant what was up with the State Troopers....he said it was a great source of revenue for the state. As was the gas attendant jobs at stations.

I love to stop in Oregon, I just don't love driving the highways there!

Thank you for this information....We've traveled I-5 through Oregon before and couldn't believe the number of people who were pulled over on the highway.

When we stopped for gas (of which was a true eye-opener) because you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. We asked the gas station attendant what was up with the State Troopers....he said it was a great source of revenue for the state. As was the gas attendant jobs at stations.

I love to stop in Oregon, I just don't love driving the highways there!

Not actually sure how many troopers are still working with budget cutbacks. Oregon likes to cut money from the most necessary places (police, education, etc) first and then demand more taxes. Myself, I've rarely seen police patrolling I-5 Portland - Eugene. On a game day, YMMV, especially on a late start game such as this one.

As far as the gas stations - LOL! We've never had self-serve, so (almost) everybody loves not having to get out and get stinky. Think of it as a blast from the full-service past.

I remember taking a road trip in college to the Bay area. We pulled into a gas station, piled out, used the facilities and purchased stuff in the convenience store, then got in the car to leave and ... no one had remembered to put gas in!

Crud, forgot about football games. The Huskies are playing at home in Seattle that day too, 12:30 kickoff, although they are playing the University of Idaho so it may not be as crazy there, and you will be going away from the game once you get on I-5. I see you disembark starting at 7AM. My suggestion would be to get on the road ASAP!

Geeeez! I guess my plans to sit in the Platinum Lounge and enjoy a leisurely continental breakfast is "out the window".....we'll "self disembark" and hit the road early, as you say!!!!!

I'm used to this, it's what DH loves to do!!!!!!

Geeeez! I guess my plans to sit in the Platinum Lounge and enjoy a leisurely continental breakfast is "out the window".....we'll "self disembark" and hit the road early, as you say!!!!!

I'm used to this, it's what DH loves to do!!!!!!

It all depends on how much you hate traffic. If you leave by 9AM you'll probably have no problem getting in by 4PM. If you start that leisurely breakfast early, I think you can fit it in. Would hate to deprive you of your final bit of Princess luxury!

Not actually sure how many troopers are still working with budget cutbacks. Oregon likes to cut money from the most necessary places (police, education, etc) first and then demand more taxes. Myself, I've rarely seen police patrolling I-5 Portland - Eugene. On a game day, YMMV, especially on a late start game such as this one.

As far as the gas stations - LOL! We've never had self-serve, so (almost) everybody loves not having to get out and get stinky. Think of it as a blast from the full-service past.

I remember taking a road trip in college to the Bay area. We pulled into a gas station, piled out, used the facilities and purchased stuff in the convenience store, then got in the car to leave and ... no one had remembered to put gas in!

I'm sorry about the cut-backs, not good for anyone....but, hopefully, the drive through your beautiful state will be "police-free!" I promise to drive within the limit [which is obnoxiously low for an Interstate.] Oh! Well! It really give you a chance to see the beauty in your trees and mountains! And, much cleaner air than L.A.

And, your story about forgetting to put gas in is very funny! One can get spoiled with all that service!

My experience has been that keeping it below 10 over the speed limit (69-74 mph) will not even turn a trooper's head.

You'll have to look in the distance for the trees and mountains - the Willamette Valley is pretty much flat and straight with farmland to the sides of the freeway.

I promise to drive within the limit [which is obnoxiously low for an Interstate.] Oh! Well! It really give you a chance to see the beauty in your trees and mountains! And, much cleaner air than L.A.

You shouldn't have too much trouble driving under the speed limit in Washington--the locals all drive sl-o-o-ow, and do it in the left lane! On two-lane highways, even with frequent, paved turnouts and signs reminding slow drivers they're required to use them, no one ever does. And don't even get me started about the trouble they have here with "Yield" signs, roundabouts, and four-way stops! By the end of my first visit to Washington (I lived in California then), I realized that if I moved here, I was going to have to learn to slow down, or else be in jail by the end of my first year for vehicular manslaughter!

I have gotten the lead out of my foot by now--well, mostly--but even though I've lived here for sixteen years now, I am not, nor ever will I be, a Washington driver! :cool:

It all depends on how much you hate traffic. If you leave by 9AM you'll probably have no problem getting in by 4PM. If you start that leisurely breakfast early, I think you can fit it in. Would hate to deprive you of your final bit of Princess luxury![/quote]

Now, here's a person who totally "gets it!"

My experience has been that keeping it below 10 over the speed limit (69-74 mph) will not even turn a trooper's head.

You'll have to look in the distance for the trees and mountains - the Willamette Valley is pretty much flat and straight with farmland to the sides of the freeway.

Hey! When driving from Redding, Ca. to Eugene, Oregon, it was absolutely filled with views of mountainscape and beautiful flora and fawna. Maybe it was in a distance but it sure looked good to me!

And, I love farmland and all that goes with it! I'm ready for it!

Archived