Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Just saw this thread and should have probably posted the following here as follows:

Hello everyone, I have been overseas on business for the past 3 weeks and have a cruise planned on the Emerald Princess later this week. I am flying in before hand on Thursday morning and we hop on the Emerald this coming Sunday, so I am hoping you guys can help me out with the following:

1) We are staying at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and wanted to know if there is a liquor store near by and any good restaurants nearby?

2) I know my girlfriend would want to do some sort of "activity" one of the days and she had mentioned an alligator tour but I don't think there is anything near by?

3) I was thinking fishing could be an alternative, but is there an "open boat" as opposed to chartering the whole boat?

4) Any activity suggestions, or suggestions on how to spend the 3 days would be greatly appreciated

Thank you all in advance!:D

Just saw this thread and should have probably posted the following here as follows:

Hello everyone, I have been overseas on business for the past 3 weeks and have a cruise planned on the Emerald Princess later this week. I am flying in before hand on Thursday morning and we hop on the Emerald this coming Sunday, so I am hoping you guys can help me out with the following:

1) We are staying at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and wanted to know if there is a liquor store near by and any good restaurants nearby?

2) I know my girlfriend would want to do some sort of "activity" one of the days and she had mentioned an alligator tour but I don't think there is anything near by?

3) I was thinking fishing could be an alternative, but is there an "open boat" as opposed to chartering the whole boat?

4) Any activity suggestions, or suggestions on how to spend the 3 days would be greatly appreciated

Thank you all in advance!:D

The closest liquor store that I know of is on Las Olas Blvd east of the bridge on the north side. Restaurants that I like are Casablanca Cafe, Coconuts, and H2O. 954 Steak in the W and Trina in the Atlantic are popular and upscale. I haven't heard much about Shula's in the Westin.

Can anyone help identify this hotel-

4*

Ft. Lauderdale Beach

Oceanfront

Fitness Center

Pools

Restaurants

Business Center

Laundry

High Speed Internet Access

Spa

I think it is the W, but not sure. Is the W close to the water taxi, any nice restaurants? Thanks for helping me with this. I have never done Hotwire or Priceline. I find it a little scary.

Can anyone help identify this hotel-

4*

Ft. Lauderdale Beach

Oceanfront

Fitness Center

Pools

Restaurants

Business Center

Laundry

High Speed Internet Access

Spa

I think it is the W, but not sure. Is the W close to the water taxi, any nice restaurants? Thanks for helping me with this. I have never done Hotwire or Priceline. I find it a little scary.

It looks like the W. If you do a thread search, you will find where a CC member recently reported a win for this hotel and listed the amenities. It was in the last month. There is a water taxi stop about 4 blocks away at the Pillars hotel, stop 3, Seville St. The closest restaurant that I like is Casablanca Cafe, in a historic beachfront home with indoor/outdoor seating and a piano bar. You can find the menu online. It is about 3-4 blocks south.

Hello, I have read through many of these post but I don't think I can get through them all. I am staying at the Sheraton in a couple of weeks and from everything I have read, the food is expensive there. Is there any place to get to a cheap dinnner within walking distance?

Hi All,

We are taking our first cruise out of FLL next week and have a few questions.

We won a Hotwire bid for The Westin Ft. Lauderdale...has anyone stayed here, what are your thoughts?

We are renting a car the day before we leave from Hertz at FLL airport. When we return the car to Hertz at the airport, do they have a free shuttle to the cruise port? I had heard there was a free (tips only) shuttle from the car care center but cannot find any information on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello, I have read through many of these post but I don't think I can get through them all. I am staying at the Sheraton in a couple of weeks and from everything I have read, the food is expensive there. Is there any place to get to a cheap dinnner within walking distance?

Bahia Cabana across the street is on the Marina and is very casual and inexpensive.

Hi All,

We are taking our first cruise out of FLL next week and have a few questions.

We won a Hotwire bid for The Westin Ft. Lauderdale...has anyone stayed here, what are your thoughts?

We are renting a car the day before we leave from Hertz at FLL airport. When we return the car to Hertz at the airport, do they have a free shuttle to the cruise port? I had heard there was a free (tips only) shuttle from the car care center but cannot find any information on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Is this the Westin at Ft Lauderdale beach or on Corporate Drive? Both are nice hotels but different kinds of neighborhoods. You need a car at the Corporate Dr. location but not neccessarily at the other.

Bahia Cabana across the street is on the Marina and is very casual and inexpensive.

We have eaten at the Bahia Cabana a couple of times, it is funky and fun....food tends to be a bit pub grub but tasty. If you use the Water Taxi or take the Jungle Queen they often have drink or discount coupons for the Bahia Cabana if you ask.

Is this the Westin at Ft Lauderdale beach or on Corporate Drive? Both are nice hotels but different kinds of neighborhoods. You need a car at the Corporate Dr. location but not neccessarily at the other.

This is the Westin off Corporate Drive. We are renting a car from Hertz so hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle.

Will be driving 12 (or so) hours to get to FLL on Dec 22nd and leaving on HAL Dec.23rd. It is me, DH, and 6 year old DD. Which hotel would best fit our criteria:

free breakfast, pool, non-smoking rooms, free parking for our car for the week, cheap taxi ride/free shuttle to port, hoping for under $150 for the night.

Since we will be getting in a dinner time on Tuesday we will just eat anywhere that has a children's menu so local restaurants/shopping nearby is not really a factor.

I have looked and think the Hyatt Place near 17th looks like a pretty good match if I use one of the websites mentioned on CC to find a lower price than their hotel website's prices.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

This is the Westin off Corporate Drive. We are renting a car from Hertz so hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle.

I don't know much about the rental car facility shuttles...it might be helpful to start a new thread to get some feedback. The hotel is very nice. Since you have a car, I would recommend having dinner at the beach at Village Grille or Aruba in Lauderdale by the Sea. If the weather isn't good, Cypress Creek Station is really close to the hotel and has several restaurants and a movie theatre.

We are sailing next month out of FLL. We are arriving 2 days prior to cruising. Someone mentioned to my husband that we should go on the Jungle Queen. Any tips or info on this. I did find a website....but it didnt work correctly and froze my computer. Where would the best place be to get discounted tickets?? Thanks. :)

We are sailing next month out of FLL. We are arriving 2 days prior to cruising. Someone mentioned to my husband that we should go on the Jungle Queen. Any tips or info on this. I did find a website....but it didnt work correctly and froze my computer. Where would the best place be to get discounted tickets?? Thanks. :)

We have done it, it's a bit touristy but nonetheless fun. We have just got our discounted tickets online from their site...perhaps it was just a bad hair day.

We have done it, it's a bit touristy but nonetheless fun. We have just got our discounted tickets online from their site...perhaps it was just a bad hair day.

Thanks.....I tried their website again and it still locked up my computer.....odd. I did see that the adult tickets were $17.50 pp. Is this the going rate or are there other discounts to be found??

Thanks.....I tried their website again and it still locked up my computer.....odd. I did see that the adult tickets were $17.50 pp. Is this the going rate or are there other discounts to be found??

Maybe it is your software, I just tried it and got right through to the check out stage. In any event the discounted online purchase price is $17 per adult.

Maybe it is your software, I just tried it and got right through to the check out stage. In any event the discounted online purchase price is $17 per adult.

Thanks....I'm not going to try it again.....it keeps messing up my computer for some reason.

On another note. Has anyone used the Sun Trolley to get around FLL from Hyatt Place North to Las Olas with much luck? Is it a smooth ride.....or a a hassle?? We will have most of the day on a Friday and all day on a Saturday before a Sunday cruise departure. Just wondering if the Sun Trolley is a good choice rather than taking cabs.

Thanks....I'm not going to try it again.....it keeps messing up my computer for some reason.

On another note. Has anyone used the Sun Trolley to get around FLL from Hyatt Place North to Las Olas with much luck? Is it a smooth ride.....or a a hassle?? We will have most of the day on a Friday and all day on a Saturday before a Sunday cruise departure. Just wondering if the Sun Trolley is a good choice rather than taking cabs.

You would have to take one trolley about 2.5 miles to the east end of Las Olas and then get another to go west for almost 2 miles to get the the downtown area. For more info:http://www.suntrolley.com

If you take a taxi, you will go a shorter way and it is only about 2 miles, so it is an inexpensive ride.

Edited by royalcruz

You would have to take one trolley about 2.5 miles to the east end of Las Olas and then get another to go west for almost 2 miles to get the the downtown area. For more info:www.suntrolley.com

If you take a taxi, you will go a shorter way and it is only about 2 miles, so it is an inexpensive ride.

Thanks......I did print out a trolley map already....but didnt know how far it was.

Will be driving 12 (or so) hours to get to FLL on Dec 22nd and leaving on HAL Dec.23rd. It is me, DH, and 6 year old DD. Which hotel would best fit our criteria:

free breakfast, pool, non-smoking rooms, free parking for our car for the week, cheap taxi ride/free shuttle to port, hoping for under $150 for the night.

Since we will be getting in a dinner time on Tuesday we will just eat anywhere that has a children's menu so local restaurants/shopping nearby is not really a factor.

I have looked and think the Hyatt Place near 17th looks like a pretty good match if I use one of the websites mentioned on CC to find a lower price than their hotel website's prices.

Hyatt Place NORTH will be perfect for you. Try valuetrips.com for their rate that particular night.

Edited by eandj

Starting to sound like a broken record....

Hyatt Place North off 17th street is a great deal.

I just checked Hotwire, and for your date, it is showing up at $59 +tax.

As mentionned before:

3* Las Olas-Downtown-Port Everglades area

Amenities: shuttle, non smoking, comp breakfast, fitness, pool, business, high speed internet.

good luck!

I don't know much about the rental car facility shuttles...it might be helpful to start a new thread to get some feedback. The hotel is very nice. Since you have a car, I would recommend having dinner at the beach at Village Grille or Aruba in Lauderdale by the Sea. If the weather isn't good, Cypress Creek Station is really close to the hotel and has several restaurants and a movie theatre.

Speaking of rental cars. From what I understand, both Alamo and Thrifty have off site facilities with shuttle service near the port. Is one more convenient than the other or are they pretty much the same? I can rent from either one for the same price, so just wondered which to go with.

Speaking of rental cars. From what I understand, both Alamo and Thrifty have off site facilities with shuttle service near the port. Is one more convenient than the other or are they pretty much the same? I can rent from either one for the same price, so just wondered which to go with.

From past research I believe Alamo is only at the airport. Budget and Thrifty/Dollar have offices on 17th Street near Port Everglades. I've used Budget's shuttle, and I think Thrifty also has a shuttle for drop-off, but I'm not sure.

I've read that Alamo at FLL uses a shuttle to deliver to the cruiseport, but does anyone know if the FLL rental car shuttle also picks up customers from the cruiseport for post-cruise rentals?

We (6 of us) just returned from a Princess cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. We stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach, and it was all we needed. Free shuttle from the Ft Lauderdale airport (call the hotel to tell them you are at the airport), free shuttle to the pier, and parking for your car for a week. We paid around $72 for a room with no parking, and $112 for a room with parking. The staff is super nice, there is a Walgreen's next door, and a Mexican restaurant. Not real sure what else is close by...also free breakfast, and coffee 24/7, and free internet - what's not to like?

Edited by racknlube