Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

thank you for trying to help. maybe other restaurant that have thanksgiving special. we decided to rent a car for that weekend so we are pretty "mobile" :)

We have had a good dinner at Zuckerello's on Thanksgiving and they are very reasonably priced. Also Shula's in the Ft Laud beach Westin will be open.

Which of thes choice hotels would be better for one night pre cruise? My first chice was Sleep Inn, but it is unavailable.

1. Comfort Suites Airport/cruiseport S. Federal Hwy

2. Rodeway Inn and Suites Airport/cruiseport West State Rd 84

3. Cambria Suites Airport South & cruiseport SW 19th Court, Dania Beach

4. Econolodge Taft St Hollywood

Our flight arrives FLL around 7:30 PM, and we'll cruise the following day. Nothing fancy needed, but do not want in a horrible location, either.

Which of thes choice hotels would be better for one night pre cruise? My first chice was Sleep Inn, but it is unavailable.

1. Comfort Suites Airport/cruiseport S. Federal Hwy

2. Rodeway Inn and Suites Airport/cruiseport West State Rd 84

3. Cambria Suites Airport South & cruiseport SW 19th Court, Dania Beach

4. Econolodge Taft St Hollywood

Our flight arrives FLL around 7:30 PM, and we'll cruise the following day. Nothing fancy needed, but do not want in a horrible location, either.

Cambria Suites is a favorite among cruise critic members and is in the best neighborhood of these hotels, though there isn't much around. Rodeway and Comfort get some awful reviews. I haven't heard anything about the Econolodge but it's old and in a seedy neighborhood.

Cambria Suites is a favorite among cruise critic members and is in the best neighborhood of these hotels, though there isn't much around. Rodeway and Comfort get some awful reviews. I haven't heard anything about the Econolodge but it's old and in a seedy neighborhood.

Thanks!:D We have enough points to book any of them, and I was more leaning toward the Cambria, too, but wanted to verify the area was ok. I'll either book it with points or bid Priceline and see what I get on a 4* or 3 * property downtown or airport area. I was just thinking I needed to use some points before they expire, but may just use them for a weekend getaway.

I'm not sure if I' am on the right area of cruise critic and if not please let me know. We will be in For Lauderdale for 3 nights next April, before our cruise. I'm not sure what hotel to choose. I was suggested of the Riverside in Las Alos but when I look at the map I see many hotels on 17th St. Are Las Alos and 17th St. close by? I'm trying to stay in the tourist area. We are NOT looking for swimming but love city tours and looking around but foot or bus if possible. We are looking for budget hotel/motel any advice would be appreciate it. Would love to have transfer to hotel and port included if possible.

Also any point of intrest or things to do?

Thanks for all the help

I'm not sure if I' am on the right area of cruise critic and if not please let me know. We will be in For Lauderdale for 3 nights next April, before our cruise. I'm not sure what hotel to choose. I was suggested of the Riverside in Las Alos but when I look at the map I see many hotels on 17th St. Are Las Alos and 17th St. close by? I'm trying to stay in the tourist area. We are NOT looking for swimming but love city tours and looking around but foot or bus if possible. We are looking for budget hotel/motel any advice would be appreciate it. Would love to have transfer to hotel and port included if possible.

Also any point of intrest or things to do?

Thanks for all the help

17th St. hotels are about 3 miles from Las Olas. It is by the port and 2.5 miles from the airport, but there is not much else there other than food and drug stores, Ross, and places to eat. Most of the hotels there don't have free shuttles, but Holiday Inn Express Convention Center has a 24 hr airport shuttle and is just 3 blocks to the water taxi, a tour/attraction in itself. Hyatt Place north has free airport shuttle. Do not pay for a shuttle from these hotels to the port, as you can take a taxi for a total of about $10 plus tax and go whenever you want.

Riverside is the only Las Olas hotel and it is in the kind of area that you are looking for but it doesn't have shuttles. There is a Hampton Inn Downtown a few blocks away but it is not in a good area for walking after dark so go out before dark and take a taxi back. They will shuttle 2 people per room to the port for free, not sure about airport.

For walking tours, go with Las Olas Blvd, Riverwalk, SE 2nd St, and the beachfront area (between Bahia Mar Hotel and Ritz Carlton hotel)

I was recommended the Hampton Inn also. Is it by Las Alos? The river walk and the water taxi? I never been to FLL so I'm kind of at a lost.Also how is the price at that hotel? Did any of you booked thru Priceline.com I tried going to the web site and was not sure about it. When I called them they said they have no one to help. What happen if you want to cancel a reservations?

anyone know any restaurants having thanksgiving dinner specials( nothing fancy). our cruise ends on the 25th will be staying around westin beach area.

Good news! Lulu's Bait Shack at Beach Place 5 blocks from the Westin is serving turkey dinner plus pumpkin pie for $17.95.

I'm assuming that you are staying at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and not the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood.

I am looking at the Hampton Inn on N. Andrews Ave. for next Sept. They offer comp. shuttle to pier and free breakfast. Is this a good location? Any restaurants, liquor stores, etc. nearby?:)

I just mentioned the Hampton Downtown (Andrews Ave) a couple of posts above..."There is a Hampton Inn Downtown a few blocks away but it is not in a good area for walking after dark so go out before dark and take a taxi back. They will shuttle 2 people per room to the port for free, not sure about airport."

It's fine around there during the day. It is in the business district of downtown and is isolated at night and on weekends and it is close to a very bad part of town. There is a CVS about 2-3 blocks away on N. Federal Hwy that sells wine. Publix on S. Andrews (about 8 blocks away)might sell liquor and has a great selection of wine. The Riverwalk and Las Olas Riverfront is about 4-5 blocks south of the hotel, where you can get the water taxi. There are lots of restaurants in the area on Las Olas and SW 2nd St (I accidentally said it was SE 2nd St. on the above post) and a few at Riverfront (mostly take out type foods and nightclubs there).

I just mentioned the Hampton Downtown (Andrews Ave) a couple of posts above..."There is a Hampton Inn Downtown a few blocks away but it is not in a good area for walking after dark so go out before dark and take a taxi back. They will shuttle 2 people per room to the port for free, not sure about airport."

It's fine around there during the day. It is in the business district of downtown and is isolated at night and on weekends and it is close to a very bad part of town. There is a CVS about 2-3 blocks away on N. Federal Hwy that sells wine. Publix on S. Andrews (about 8 blocks away)might sell liquor and has a great selection of wine. The Riverwalk and Las Olas Riverfront is about 4-5 blocks south of the hotel, where you can get the water taxi. There are lots of restaurants in the area on Las Olas and SW 2nd St (I accidentally said it was SE 2nd St. on the above post) and a few at Riverfront (mostly take out type foods and nightclubs there).

Thanks for the info. We are just looking for a good deal for 1 night pre-cruise. I also want someplace to get last minute things.:)

Thanks for the info. We are just looking for a good deal for 1 night pre-cruise. I also want someplace to get last minute things.:)

CVS is really close and the hotel was built from the ground up about 10 yrs ago so it's really fine. I've been to events there and the common areas are nice.

Hi Royalcruz,

I booked the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel through Priceline for Nov. 12 (pre-cruise). Are there stores around there to get liquor, water, etc.?

Also, do you know how much is a cab ride from the pier to the airport when we're off the ship?

Thanks.

Cindy

Hi Royalcruz,

I booked the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel through Priceline for Nov. 12 (pre-cruise). Are there stores around there to get liquor, water, etc.?

Also, do you know how much is a cab ride from the pier to the airport when we're off the ship?

Thanks.

Cindy

a cab to the airport is $15-20 or so, plus tip...

as for what's near the Sheraton...not much, but you can flag down the sun trolley and head to publix in the harbor shops

http://www.suntrolley.com

OR walk several blocks to beach place and there is a CVS there....but the sun trolley is a good option....and there are plenty of places to eat in the harbor shops too

Hi

Looking for a hotel in FLL for overnight stay in Jan 2012. Thinking about Hilton Garden inn, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport or Hampton Inn & suites (Stirling Road). Has anyone stayed at any of these before or have any info on the area's etc..

Thanks

HGI and Hampton Stirling are located adjacent to Oakwood Plaza. Hilton airport is isolated so there is no where to walk to from there. If you are getting in late or have a car it doesn't matter. All are in safe enough neighborhoods. Hilton airport has smoking rooms so be sure to select non-smoking if you book and don't want smoke odor in your room. Hilton airport is the oldest of the hotels but is well maintained and has a nice pool and large common areas and restaurant on site, so it's more full service. They might have a daily parking fee. Hampton has both free airport and port shuttles and breakfast, Hilton has free airport shuttle, not sure about HGI.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks for the info Megr1125,

I was looking at the web site for the trolley and it says it runs Monday - Friday. We will be there on a Sat. do you know if it will be available then as well?

There are five different Sun Trolley routes. Three are Mon - Fri, and two are weekend. Weekend means Friday thru Monday. You will want the Fort Lauderdale Beach Line, which passes right in front of your hotel. If you want to go down Las Olas Blvd, then you would need to transfer to the Las Olas line by the intersection of Las Olas and A1A. Both of those are weekend routes.

I need an advice. We planning a B2B, since we need to fly out of LA so we are trying to save that way. I'm looking to stay 3 nights in FLL but due to the price of the cruise we may just do the cruise only. Is their is a way to take a city tour at the end of cruise 1. The cruise line only have tours that end at the air port and we need to get back to the ship. If not can we do something on our own to see a little bit of this beautiful city? I'm also thinking of the time we would need to spend to get off the ship since everyone will be leaving to go home.

Thanks so much Lannie

We are driving in on Friday (11/11) and boarding on Monday; planning to stay at the Homewood Airport (Dania Beach). Loking for suggestions on how to spend Saturday and Sunday - interested in boat tours and other things to do. Also any idea for light meals - will get plenty of food on the Zuiderdam. Thanks for keeping this thread.

We are driving in on Friday (11/11) and boarding on Monday; planning to stay at the Homewood Airport (Dania Beach). Loking for suggestions on how to spend Saturday and Sunday - interested in boat tours and other things to do. Also any idea for light meals - will get plenty of food on the Zuiderdam. Thanks for keeping this thread.

great location....

if you like pizza, try Anthony's coal fired....yummy.

try this for an idea

http://www.watertaxi.com

http://www.suntrolley.com

that's a great hotel too!! not much RIGHT there, but since you'll have a car, it's perfect!!

if you need stuff..

http://www.theharborshops.com also, there are places to eat there, and all along 17th street....

Hi

Looking for a hotel in FLL for overnight stay in Jan 2012. Thinking about Hilton Garden inn, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport or Hampton Inn & suites (Stirling Road). Has anyone stayed at any of these before or have any info on the area's etc..

Thanks

we stayed at hampton on stirling last dec and will again this year. it was fine and lived up to the promises.

I need an advice. We planning a B2B, since we need to fly out of LA so we are trying to save that way. I'm looking to stay 3 nights in FLL but due to the price of the cruise we may just do the cruise only. Is their is a way to take a city tour at the end of cruise 1. The cruise line only have tours that end at the air port and we need to get back to the ship. If not can we do something on our own to see a little bit of this beautiful city? I'm also thinking of the time we would need to spend to get off the ship since everyone will be leaving to go home.

Thanks so much Lannie

you could take a cab over to the Hilton Marina and hop on the http://www.watertaxi.com and then see something that way....

you could also rent a car and drive around...

Avis has a location at the Hyatt Pier 66

Hertz at the Crowne Plaza

Budget is in the shopping center opposite the Renaissance..

all would be about a $10 cab ride from the pier, though Hertz has a shuttle and i think avis does too, though i just cabbed it....

(saves having to go all the way to the airport to get a car...)

allow time to get off the ship--you'll get instructions telling you what to do..each port is a little different...

Royalcruz- You have been so helpful to us folks that do not reside in Fla but need questions answered and for that, we Thank you.

Now for my personal question: How would you rate this Hotel:

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort lauderdale Airport ( owned and operated by Marriott) and their address is: 2081 Griffin Road, FLL Fla???...is this a nice Hotel?..are there restaurants/eateries to be able to walk to?..is it a safe area?

We will be staying there prior to boarding the Oasis next spring.

Thank you for your answer already :)

Royalcruz- You have been so helpful to us folks that do not reside in Fla but need questions answered and for that, we Thank you.

Now for my personal question: How would you rate this Hotel:

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort lauderdale Airport ( owned and operated by Marriott) and their address is: 2081 Griffin Road, FLL Fla???...is this a nice Hotel?..are there restaurants/eateries to be able to walk to?..is it a safe area?

We will be staying there prior to boarding the Oasis next spring.

Thank you for your answer already :)

not royalcruz, but..

it is a fairly new hotel...in a safe area, but there really is nothing around that you can walk to....if you won't have a car you'll need to cab it anyplace, and/or if you're looking for food, order in....