Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Casablanca Cafe is great, just 2 blocks south of the hotel. No reservations accepted, so be prepared to put your name down and wait about an hour on weekends. Meanwhile, hang out in the piano bar. After dinner, visit the W hotel about a block north of the Westin...there are 2 fabulous bars: Whiskey Blue and the Lobby Bar.

The Westin is an old Sheraton that was closed down and completely renovated about 2 yrs ago. Most of the reviews are pretty good.

Perfect! Thank you!

Sue

I will be staying at the Fort Lauderdale Beachside Hotel 1 day before and 1 day after my cruise.

What is the best way to travel to and from the FLL airport? Do they have shuttles? Or what would be an approximate cost for a taxi?

I will be on the Valor January 1st. Do they have shuttles to Port of Miami?

Hi. I always fly into Fort Lauderdale when cruising out of Miami.

I also make it a habit to come in one day early and stay at a Hotel that has shuttles to and from the Airport.

I then purchase the bus service from the Cruiseline ( I cruise with RCCL) most of the time and their price is $29 per trip. ( $58 R/T )

I use the hotel shuttle to get me back to the Airport and then find the lady with the sign that says 'Royal caribbean" and check n with her and away I go to Miami. Then I reverse it once the cruise is over.

Hope this helped! :)

I will be staying at the Fort Lauderdale Beachside Hotel 1 day before and 1 day after my cruise.

What is the best way to travel to and from the FLL airport? Do they have shuttles? Or what would be an approximate cost for a taxi?

I will be on the Valor January 1st. Do they have shuttles to Port of Miami?

Are you locked into this hotel? This hotel is not between the airport and port...it's over 10 miles in the opposite direction. I don't think they have any shuttles and it will cost you about $35 from the airport and $100 to Port of Miami, by cab. You could contact SAS Transportation to see if they can do any of these routes for you to save money. Many other private shuttles cost similar to cab fare. If you want a hotel on the beach, Hollywood beach would be in the right direction.

I am cruising on the Allure of the Seas leaving April 8, 2012. My flight from LA arrives at FLL at 5:55 AM but the ship doesn't board until 1. What does one do besides sit in the Airport to kill some time?

Thanks for your help.

Not much is going to be open on a Sunday morning. You could have a cab drop you off at Lester's Diner and get some breakfast if the airline doesn't feed you. It's close to the port and airport.

Thanks Royacruz,

After reading your reply, I knew taxis were not a good option. My travel agent arranged shuttles for me. A bit more expensive than if I had tried to find a shuttle by myself, but now I have peace of mind.

Now I'll just have to find a place to eat and maybe something to do on New Year's Eve and a place for breakfast before the cruise. I hope something will be open.

Thanks Royacruz,

After reading your reply, I knew taxis were not a good option. My travel agent arranged shuttles for me. A bit more expensive than if I had tried to find a shuttle by myself, but now I have peace of mind.

Now I'll just have to find a place to eat and maybe something to do on New Year's Eve and a place for breakfast before the cruise. I hope something will be open.

I hope I gave you the correct information...I hope you are staying at Lauderdale Beachside Hotel in Lauderdale by the Sea, as I couldn't find a "Fort Lauderdale Beachside" hotel. The taxi estimates that I gave you are per taxi, not per person, so bear this in mind when comparing shuttle quotes. I used to live next to the hotel. About 6 blocks away at Commercial Blvd there are several restaurants and some have been open on New Year's Eve in the past, and I've had breakfast at Village Grille on New Year's day in the past. There might even be a street party. Call these restaurants that are on the main square...they will know what is planned:

Aruba

Village Grille

101 Ocean

Athena by the Sea

I hope I gave you the correct information...I hope you are staying at Lauderdale Beachside Hotel in Lauderdale by the Sea, as I couldn't find a "Fort Lauderdale Beachside" hotel. The taxi estimates that I gave you are per taxi, not per person, so bear this in mind when comparing shuttle quotes. I used to live next to the hotel. About 6 blocks away at Commercial Blvd there are several restaurants and some have been open on New Year's Eve in the past, and I've had breakfast at Village Grille on New Year's day in the past. There might even be a street party.

Thanks, I will be at the Lauderdale Beachside! And as I travelling solo, no one to share the cost of a taxi, so a shuttle is just fine for me.

First time solo, first time doing a hotel before the cruise! An adventure awaits! :)

Relaxing on the beach, or exploring places around the hotel and arriving on the ship after a good night's sleep. Wow. If I flew in the same day, I would be up before 3AM to get to the airport.

Are you locked into this hotel? This hotel is not between the airport and port...it's over 10 miles in the opposite direction. I don't think they have any shuttles and it will cost you about $35 from the airport and $100 to Port of Miami, by cab. You could contact SAS Transportation to see if they can do any of these routes for you to save money. Many other private shuttles cost similar to cab fare. If you want a hotel on the beach, Hollywood beach would be in the right direction.

I also am wondering if you are locked into this hotel. Did your TA choose it? Why would you go 10 miles in the wrong direction both pre and post cruise?

I actually really like this area and have stayed many times when it was for 3 or 4 nights. I just don't understand your choice and the extra expense of going so far.

Thanks, I will be at the Lauderdale Beachside! And as I travelling solo, no one to share the cost of a taxi, so a shuttle is just fine for me.

First time solo, first time doing a hotel before the cruise! An adventure awaits! :)

Relaxing on the beach, or exploring places around the hotel and arriving on the ship after a good night's sleep. Wow. If I flew in the same day, I would be up before 3AM to get to the airport.

Carrina's in the Publix shopping center across the street makes great pizzas! The Greek Diner there isn't great but they do serve breakfast if you don't feel like walking far.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi,

On livingsocial they have a coupon for the Las Olas Gourmet & Wine Resturant. It's $20.00 but worth $40.00. Has anyone been to it? How close is it to the Westin Beach Resort & Spa? I'm assuming we could grab a cab.. any idea on cost of a cab to the resturant?

Las Olas Gourmet & Wine

111 Southeast 8th Ave

Fort Lauderdale.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth the time, cost etc..

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sue

Hi,

On livingsocial they have a coupon for the Las Olas Gourmet & Wine Resturant. It's $20.00 but worth $40.00. Has anyone been to it? How close is it to the Westin Beach Resort & Spa? I'm assuming we could grab a cab.. any idea on cost of a cab to the resturant?

Las Olas Gourmet & Wine

111 Southeast 8th Ave

Fort Lauderdale.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth the time, cost etc..

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sue

This place is new. I haven't been there yet. There are much more interesting restaurants in the area so I probably won't bother to go out of my way to try it. It looks like a wine and craft beer bar ...they have basic food like pizza, salads, and sandwiches. Cab fare would be about $14 each way.

This place is new. I haven't been there yet. There are much more interesting restaurants in the area so I probably won't bother to go out of my way to try it. It looks like a wine and craft beer bar ...they have basic food like pizza, salads, and sandwiches. Cab fare would be about $14 each way.

Ok! Good to know.. :) I'll skip it. Thank you!

Sue

I'm attempting to schedule transportation in March 2012 with QLS and after 4 e-mails and a phone call, I still do not have a confirmation with the same details as what I requested via their web page. Is this normal? Are they transitioning to a new system? I have to admit that their inability to get the reservation right makes me VERY concerned about trusting them to get me where I need to be.....:(

First, let me say what a wealth of info you are to everyone. Thank you!

We'll be staying at Sleep Inn in Dania one night prior to our cruise in December. We're not renting a car so we want to walk across the street to Pancho's Backyard for dinner - any recommendations there? Are the margaritas decent?

I am a Florida native (Tampa) and also used to live in Pompano Beach behind the Fashion Square Mall. Used to go to Taco Viva there in the mall in the early 80's.

First, let me say what a wealth of info you are to everyone. Thank you!

We'll be staying at Sleep Inn in Dania one night prior to our cruise in December. We're not renting a car so we want to walk across the street to Pancho's Backyard for dinner - any recommendations there? Are the margaritas decent?

I am a Florida native (Tampa) and also used to live in Pompano Beach behind the Fashion Square Mall. Used to go to Taco Viva there in the mall in the early 80's.

LOL, Pompano Fashion Square Mall isn't even there anymore! They knocked down everything except for the dept stores, built in strip center space in between, and it is now Pompano Citi Centre. I was only at Poncho's once and only had a salad with grilled fish (my diet food), so I can't tell you about the other food or drinks. t is not big and has a strip center atmosphere, although the decor is nice enough. Someone recommended this place to me...they used to live in Hollywood and they ate there all the time and said it was their favorite Mexican restaurant in Broward.

After reading info on here, I am thinking of booking the Alhambra Beach Hotel for our pre-cruise 2-nights stay in April, as it seems to be the perfect location and the area looks quite nice. But is there any shopping around there? I will need to get wine to take onboard, and some clothes shopping.

After reading info on here, I am thinking of booking the Alhambra Beach Hotel for our pre-cruise 2-nights stay in April, as it seems to be the perfect location and the area looks quite nice. But is there any shopping around there? I will need to get wine to take onboard, and some clothes shopping.

Beach Place is about 3-4 blocks south on A1A. They have a CVS drug store that sells some wine. There are clothing stores but it's just beachwear and cheap clubwear. You can take either the SunTrolley or the 40 bus north to the Galleria Mall. It's about 2 miles away. They have Macy's, Dillard's, Neiman Marcus, and many other stores. Across the street from there is a brand new Publix grocery store where you will find a very nice selection of wine. There is another mall about 4 miles away called Coral Ridge Mall that has Target, TJMaxx, Marshall's, and other stores. The best way to get there is by taxi, or take the 11 bus north to 72 west. I found the Alhambra while walking around and it looks very nice for small lodging. Their prices are great and they are getting good reviews on TripAdvisor. The location can't be beat.

Edited by royalcruz