Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi there - this thread is great.. I have read many posts - but still need some information please.

Flying into FtLauderdale the day after Thanksgiving, staying 2 nights at the Sheraton Airport/cruise port hotel (1825 Griffin Road,Dania) pre curise. I need to know if the area around the hotel is safe - and what is close by for restaurants and entertainment.

Any suggestions would be helpful - thank you all in advance :)

It isn't a bad neighborhood but it isn't an area that people go for walks in either. There is a great Irish bar called The Field about 1.5 miles west that has great entertainment and great (and even healthy if you want) food. Near there are Royal India and My Big Fat Greek Restaurant. These are all popular local places. The Rustic Inn is a fun crab house a few blocks away. Islamorada Fish Co is a few blocks away but the atmosphere is no better than Red Lobster or Olive Garden. Maybe you could get the Sheraton shuttle driver to transport you in the neighborhood. About 2 miles away in Oakwood Plaza is a multiplex cinema and Dave & Busters arcade.

Royalcruz I am asking about the hilton garden inn in FT Lauderdale is it a good place to stay will be there in july

I don't know what the Hilton Garden Inn is like. It is close to Oakwood Plaza shopping and restaurants so it's fine for one night, or longer if you have a car.

The nicest within walking distance are Bimini Boatyard (3 blocks), 15th St Fisheries (about a mile), and Grill 66 (just under a mile, just over the 17th St bridge). Other than Grill 66, they aren't fine dining settings but are very nice. Kelly's Landing is close and popular but it has more of a sports bar atmosphere. If you want to take a taxi, 3030 in the Harbor Beach Marriott is excellent, about 2.5 miles away. Trulucks is an upscale seafood chain in Galleria Mall, about 5 miles away.

Thank you! This is great info!!!

royalcruz and any other input appreciated..

A number of us are planning on staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 pre-Allure cruise April 2013.

Some of us want to watch the Oasis leave on Sat afternoon and then eat at a good convenient place..not sure how many yet but a minimum of 10-12.

Any suggestion where the best place to watch the Oasis leave from is?

What is the distance from the Hyatt?

Any nearby restaurants to eat at after Oasis sail away?

Best restaurants around the Hyatt?

Also some of those going cannot walk long distances so may need to take taxis anyway no matter the distance.

Thank you so much...very much appreciated!!

Laura

Edited by Arizona Laura

royalcruz and any other input appreciated..

A number of us are planning on staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 pre-Allure cruise April 2013.

Some of us want to watch the Oasis leave on Sat afternoon and then eat at a good convenient place..not sure how many yet but a minimum of 10-12.

Any suggestion where the best place to watch the Oasis leave from is?

What is the distance from the Hyatt?

Any nearby restaurants to eat at after Oasis sail away?

Best restaurants around the Hyatt?

Also some of those going cannot walk long distances so may need to take taxis anyway no matter the distance.

Thank you so much...very much appreciated!!

Laura

You can walk to see the Oasis sailaway. It's about 6 blocks. Look up the hotel on mapquest and see where the port meets the ocean. That's the best place to be. You may have to cut through private property so I'm not really able to give you directions.

The hotels at your hotel are good (Pelican Landing and Grill 66)...the locals eat there. If you cross the big 17th St bridge you will first find Bimini Boatyard, Market 17, China Grill, and Bravo. There are a lot of restaurants past there too, but I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Royalcruz,

thanks for the info about Hyatt Pier 66, will be staying there in November 2 days pre-cruise. Is the trolley only running now Mon-Fri, eek ?? What buses could i take from Hyatt across 17th st and back? Thanks for all of your expertise in advance. Laura:D

Royalcruz,

thanks for the info about Hyatt Pier 66, will be staying there in November 2 days pre-cruise. Is the trolley only running now Mon-Fri, eek ?? What buses could i take from Hyatt across 17th st and back? Thanks for all of your expertise in advance. Laura:D

I'm not sure of the trolley schedule. Bus 40 goes along the same route 7 days a week.

We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 in November, Priceline bid. Mixed reviews...i guess the entire hotel has not been renovated ...does anyone have more info?

If you look at tripadvisordotcom recently, there was reported by several of an

insect problem and some complained of bad odors.

My cousin just stayed there this weekend on a priceline rate.....he didnt say that anything was wrong...he is not picky but if the place had issues he would have told me. (i heard about an issue with his cabin on the ship within 20 minutes...:eek: so i presume the hyatt was acceptable)

For the 70-ish bucks he was fine.

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

If you look at tripadvisordotcom recently, there was reported by several of an

insect problem and some complained of bad odors.

I saw that. The odor thing worries me. Bugs as long as they aren't bed bugs in ok. They are lanai rooms probably and a lot of people are not familiar with bugs in Florida...it happens sometimes. I think when we ge there we can pay for an upgrade to the tower which sounds nicer.

My cousin just stayed there this weekend on a priceline rate.....he didnt say that anything was wrong...he is not picky but if the place had issues he would have told me. (i heard about an issue with his cabin on the ship within 20 minutes... so i presume the hyatt was acceptable)

For the 70-ish bucks he was fine.

Thanks. I am kind of picky and I see that the reviews for the tower are great it seems that the lanai rooms need redone.

Edited by reeran

Not sure what kind of room...i was in the tower but i paid the rate.....my room was fine over all.

Not sure about odor though there is a "florida smell" as i call it.....no offense...but i guess it is from the humidity?? (look i may move to Fla so ...) and. IME it is hit and miss...and not limited to any particular place....

Not sure what kind of room...i was in the tower but i paid the rate.....my room was fine over all.

Not sure about odor though there is a "florida smell" as i call it.....no offense...but i guess it is from the humidity?? (look i may move to Fla so ...) and. IME it is hit and miss...and not limited to any particular place....

I agree I look beyond some palmetto bugs and ants in a poolside room.

I called the hotel and they moved me to the renovated rooms. They said that the poolside renovated rooms were the most updated in the hotel.

Hello. There will be 4 of us staying at the Fairfield Inn in Daria Beach, FL the night before our cruise.

Has anyone ever stayed there? Are there restaurants within walking distance to the hotel?

Also, I've been glancing at this thread and I think I saw where it's approx $20-$25 for a taxi ride from the pier to the airport. Is this correct? Is that per person or per taxi?

Thank you for your help. :)

Need a hotel suggestion near the beach, some nightlife and good restaurants. We are staying two nights pre cruise dec 28-30, I got a good rate on the best western Oceanside- is that a good hotel? Please help, I am sooo confused. Thanks

It has been a few years since we stayed there but it is on the beach side right next door to the Sheraton Beach Hotel. Across the street and about a block and half to the Bahia Cabana which has a great outdoor restaurant and bar on the intercoastal ,very popular with tourists and locals. The Bahia Cabana gets pretty lively and fun in the evening. Also the Sun Trolley stops in front of hotel and water taxi is only a couple of blocks away behind the Bahia Cabana. You can walk next door to the Sheraton and on to the beach. They had a great complimentary breakfast also.

Edited by aarep

It isn't a bad neighborhood but it isn't an area that people go for walks in either. There is a great Irish bar called The Field about 1.5 miles west that has great entertainment and great (and even healthy if you want) food. Near there are Royal India and My Big Fat Greek Restaurant. These are all popular local places. The Rustic Inn is a fun crab house a few blocks away. Islamorada Fish Co is a few blocks away but the atmosphere is no better than Red Lobster or Olive Garden. Maybe you could get the Sheraton shuttle driver to transport you in the neighborhood. About 2 miles away in Oakwood Plaza is a multiplex cinema and Dave & Busters arcade.

thank you for your reply - I am wondering if I should change hotels.. closer to the beach

I'm looking at either Hyatt Plaza or Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Both have shuttles from the airport. Both are the same price.

What are the differences between them?

Are either near a store at which we can pick up some wine to take on board?

Thanks.

There is absolutely nothing near the Hilton by the airport. This hotel really needs some updating in their rooms. The pool area is nice. We stayed here last year one night post cruise, but I would not stay here again. We had to order pizza for dinner because we did not want to pay $30 in taxi fare just to get somewhere to eat.