Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I've read pages of threads and still don't know of a good hotel with free parking, so I'm asking now.

We will be flying in 3 days before our cruise and renting a car to explore the area. We don't need a room on the beach or even on 17th st. because we will have a car and can drive to where we want to go:)

Can you recommend a clean, nice hotel that has free parking? I'd rather spend my money on something else:)

Thanks,,,,,,,,Mary

Hi Mary...I'm sure Royalcruz will help you out!! She is quite hospitable!

We are staying at Alhambra Beach Resort. We're sailing on the Allure on 8/18. We're flying in Friday afternoon and our cruise leaves on Sunday morning. Our party consists of me (46), DH(43), DD(11) and parents (70).

I hadn't planned on renting a car. We figured we would just take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and do the same going to the port. I assumed we could just hang out at the nearby beach or at the hotel pool. However, now I'm second guessing myself.

None of us have ever been to Ft. Lauderdale. Is there something we should see while in town that would appeal to everyone? Also, will there be enough reasonably priced food options within walking distance? Would we be better off renting a car?

Hi Lady bird!!

We are staying at the Alhambra as well!! I would love if you could give me a review when you come back from your vacation...I posted on this thread a page back and Royalcruz gave suggestions to my questions! Have fun!

Edited by duesouth

Hi Lady bird!!

We are staying at the Alhambra as well!! I would love if you could give me a review when you come back from your vacation...I posted on this thread a page back and Royalcruz gave suggestions to my questions! Have fun!

Absolutely! I will come back and post my thoughts on the hotel. I'll check out your previous posts. Thanks!

I've read pages of threads and still don't know of a good hotel with free parking, so I'm asking now.

We will be flying in 3 days before our cruise and renting a car to explore the area. We don't need a room on the beach or even on 17th st. because we will have a car and can drive to where we want to go:)

Can you recommend a clean, nice hotel that has free parking? I'd rather spend my money on something else:)

Thanks,,,,,,,,Mary

Sorry but Beguia has not been heard from for years. I'm assuming that since you are renting a car that you will not need cruise parking. Most 3 star hotels have free parking while you stay there. Look at any of the airport hotels except for Hilton and Sheraton and I think you'll find free parking. There are lots of them near I95 and Stirling Rd.

We are staying at Alhambra Beach Resort. We're sailing on the Allure on 8/18. We're flying in Friday afternoon and our cruise leaves on Sunday morning. Our party consists of me (46), DH(43), DD(11) and parents (70).

I hadn't planned on renting a car. We figured we would just take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and do the same going to the port. I assumed we could just hang out at the nearby beach or at the hotel pool. However, now I'm second guessing myself.

None of us have ever been to Ft. Lauderdale. Is there something we should see while in town that would appeal to everyone? Also, will there be enough reasonably priced food options within walking distance? Would we be better off renting a car?

No reason for second guessing.... There is plenty of inexpensive food in Beach Place about 3 blocks south. You can also walk to Quarterdeck, Oasis, and Bubba Gumps. There isn't really that much to see in Fort Lauderdale. You can stroll around the beach area or go downtown by cab, suntrolley or water taxi and stroll around there. Downtown there is Las Olas Blvd, Stranahan House, Discovery Center/Imax, and Museum of Art. It's only a couple of miles away.

Opps,,, I hope royalcruz will answer my question. I've done some research today on tripadvior and I've come up with Holiday Inn Express N. Exec Airport. Sounds ok.. Any thoughts on this before I book?

Thanks,,,,,,Mary

That should be fine with a car.

Sharon,,

Thanks for the info:) I booked the hotel today. Free parking, free breakfast and a nice clean room. I even got a rental car for 20 dollars a day with unlimited mileage. I'm all ready! Thanks again,,,,,,,,,,Mary

Mary, It just occurred to me that you might think that this hotel is by FLL airport...I just wanted to let you know that it is about 10 miles north of the airport/cruiseport area, and 5 miles west of the beach. When I suggested that you look at the airport hotels, I meant FLL, not the executive airport. If you are just looking for a place to stay and if the price is great then stay with where you booked. It's very close to I95 so easy to get places. The closest beach is Lauderdale by the Sea and it's a very quaint beach town with a fishing pier...just drive east on Commercial Blvd until you hit the beach.Sometimes you can stay at the Holiday Inns near FLL for about the same or less than the one by the executive airport.

Edited by royalcruz

We are flying into FLL for a cruise out of POM Feb. 28 next year. We are staying at a timeshare condo for the night at 909 Breakers Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304. I know that a Publix is close but do you know if it's walking distance? If it not walking distance is there a smaller food store near by?

I really don't want to rent a car and was thinking of arranging transportation from the airport to the condo to POM the next morning. Would a taxi from the airport to the condo be less than $30. The transportation services seem to charge around $15.

We are flying into FLL for a cruise out of POM Feb. 28 next year. We are staying at a timeshare condo for the night at 909 Breakers Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304. I know that a Publix is close but do you know if it's walking distance? If it not walking distance is there a smaller food store near by?

I really don't want to rent a car and was thinking of arranging transportation from the airport to the condo to POM the next morning. Would a taxi from the airport to the condo be less than $30. The transportation services seem to charge around $15.

Taxi to the condo should be about $25 or less per taxi. Publix is about a half mile away.

Hi All,

I am not sure if this has been asked but the task of going through all of the posts is daunting to me.

Is there a decent Laundromat fairly close to Port Everglades? The SouthPort Laundromat has horrible ratings on TA; they said it is very dirty.

I will have a car so driving a bit is OK.

Our hotel does not have a self-serve laundry and even if it did I think there would be many people wanting to use it.

My thanks. :) Happy cruising all!!

clb

Hi All,

I am not sure if this has been asked but the task of going through all of the posts is daunting to me.

Is there a decent Laundromat fairly close to Port Everglades? The SouthPort Laundromat has horrible ratings on TA; they said it is very dirty.

I will have a car so driving a bit is OK.

Our hotel does not have a self-serve laundry and even if it did I think there would be many people wanting to use it.

My thanks. :) Happy cruising all!!

clb

Southport is the closest. A&A Coin Laundry on S. Federal Hwy is next closest. A lot of them are in rough neighborhoods and most are in old storefronts. These are in neighborhoods that are nice, at least (about 5 miles north of the port):

Gateway Cleaners and Coin Laundry on E. Sunrise Blvd

O'Mac Coin Laundry on N. Federal Hwy behind Whole Foods

Fabulous Coin Laundry on NE 21st St.

These 3 are all within a mile or so from each other, so if you don't like what you see, try the next one.

Edited by royalcruz

Southport is the closest. A&A Coin Laundry on S. Federal Hwy is next closest. A lot of them are in rough neighborhoods and most are in old storefronts. These are in neighborhoods that are nice, at least (about 5 miles north of the port):

Gateway Cleaners and Coin Laundry on E. Sunrise Blvd

O'Mac Coin Laundry on N. Federal Hwy behind Whole Foods

Fabulous Coin Laundry on NE 21st St.

These 3 are all within a mile or so from each other, so if you don't like what you see, try the next one.

Excellent! This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much. :)

clb

Excellent! This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much. :)

clb

Maybe you could check out which ones have same day wash & fold so you can leave and come back. By the way, do NOT leave with your clothes in a self-serve machine. You might find items missing when you return, as it seems people without morals gravitate to Florida.:)

Edited by royalcruz

OK, I'm pretty sure I saw it in this thread, but search isn't finding it for me! Please forgive me if it's been asked & answered umpteen times!

How is the hotel La Casa del Mar on Grenada Street? I can get a really good price there in February. I think I remember people liking it, but since I can't find the post, I'm afraid I've confused it with something else!

Thanks.

Hi All!

I am in desperate need of some suggestions on what to do with my inlaws post cruise (while waiting for a flight).

We are coming off a cruise in Miami but flying out of Fort Lauderdale at 7pm. I am sure their patience will be wearing thin and they will be exhausted from the disembarkation process.

I looked at Sunny.org and a Dayroom would be great but every hotel I contact state they don't offer them. I do let them know they are listed on the Sunny.org website but to no avail.

Any suggestions? I am desperate for options.... help:eek:

Thanks,

Dee

Hi All!

I am in desperate need of some suggestions on what to do with my inlaws post cruise (while waiting for a flight).

We are coming off a cruise in Miami but flying out of Fort Lauderdale at 7pm. I am sure their patience will be wearing thin and they will be exhausted from the disembarkation process.

I looked at Sunny.org and a Dayroom would be great but every hotel I contact state they don't offer them. I do let them know they are listed on the Sunny.org website but to no avail.

Thanks,

Dee

Hi. Rhodeway Inn & Suites offer day room from 10-6. It's $49 and they will shuttle u for free to the airport. U also get free wifi, use of all their facilities, and a free breakfast. Just ask for one of the newly renovated room. Stayed end of March and it was clean and worth it for the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You should look at Gallery One Doubletree. There is a Publix and nice indoor shopping mall a block away, it's on the suntrolley route, and the water taxi stops there. The hotel is older but very nicely modernized. It's good to be next to the mall in January in case it is too cold to be at the pool. Otherwise, any of the 3*-4* hotels with pools in the SE 17th St area should be fine: Hilton Marina (tower rooms are modernized, water taxi stops there), Renaissance, Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place, in that order of preference. Hyatt Pier 66 is further to walk to shopping/dining so I left that one out.

Hey Sharon ...the wife and i are looking at Feb for our cruise and trying to narrow down choices of hotels so im basing them alot on your advice of the area...We are looking at the Doubletree...we are pre-cruise for 2 days and want to be close to the water taxi(heard tons of raves about it and a good day excursion) also want to be close to the "cruise" essentials...wine,water,liquor and beer for the hotel stay...what other recommendations would you suggest and restaurants in that area....Thanks for you input and time

OK, I'm pretty sure I saw it in this thread, but search isn't finding it for me! Please forgive me if it's been asked & answered umpteen times!

How is the hotel La Casa del Mar on Grenada Street? I can get a really good price there in February. I think I remember people liking it, but since I can't find the post, I'm afraid I've confused it with something else!

Thanks.

I've never heard of it. Tripadvisor will give you more information.

Hi All!

Thanks,

Dee

I agree with ctrnh225. Rodeway is not the nicest hotel but it might be the only one that will confirm a day room and it sounds like your family just needs a place to rest for the day.