Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

royalcruz

you have been busy tonight!! Allow me to buy you a virtual drink;)

have a great holiday weekend, thanks for all your help and insights, and keep up the good work--we all appreciate it!!

mary lynn

Thank you...I'll take a Mojito...have a great weekend!

Thank you. We stayed at the Westin Beach Resort last October and walked from that CVS to our hotel. I know we are in the opposite direction and just wasn't sure if there was one closer. I'll check out Coconuts too. We ate at Casablanca Cafe last time and enjoyed our meal out on the patio overlooking the water.

The Sheraton is quite a bit further from anything. It's still easily walkable to the strip for most people, but not with a case of soda. There is a small liquor store on Las Olas Blvd 2 blocks west of A1A that might sell soda, but it's only about 2 blocks closer than CVS and may be a lot more expensive. I think there might be a convenience store a block before that too, on Seabreeze Blvd. You could get a taxi to stop for soda at Walgreens before you get on your cruise, but the waiting time might eat up any savings. Personally, I would skip the idea.

Your best bet with your daughter is probably Cheesecake Factory, which is on the same property as the Riverside Hotel. Shooters is on the water taxi route and has a nice relaxing waterfront view and casual menu, but the food is better at Cheesecake.

Thanks. One of the places that looked interesting was Mangos. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks. One of the places that looked interesting was Mangos. Any thoughts on that?

Mangos is good, casual and simple menu. It gets really loud after 9 or so when the band is playing. Big City Tavern also has a simple menu, including pizza, and is across the street from Riverside Hotel. You can sit outside just about anywhere else on Las Olas. There is also a great crepe restaurant, Le Bonne Crepe.

Royal Cruz thanks so much for your prompt response. I actually booked the Westin for $99 dollars a nights which still seems like a ridiculously low price for a Westin. Thanks again, I am now going to look for restaurant tips by going through this great thread. Thanks again

Royal Cruz thanks so much for your prompt response. I actually booked the Westin for $99 dollars a nights which still seems like a ridiculously low price for a Westin. Thanks again, I am now going to look for restaurant tips by going through this great thread. Thanks again

You can easily walk to Trina, 954, Casablanca Cafe, or H20. There is also Shula's steakhouse in the Westin but I haven't tried it or heard anything. If you are looking for really casual inexpensive food, Lulu's Bait Shack at Beach Place is popular (it's more of a bar, but they have a lot of fried seafood and people like it). There is also a Hooter's there. Quarterdeck is a good burger joint, but it's a little further walk.

Which Westin and did you get that price through Hotwire or Priceline?

Which Westin and did you get that price through Hotwire or Priceline?

Never mind. Found out it's a special. Looks like the $99 rate is for a city view room according to the Starwood web site. I asked this on another thread, but will ask here. A beach view is $30 more a night. Is it worth it?

Never mind. Found out it's a special. Looks like the $99 rate is for a city view room according to the Starwood web site. I asked this on another thread, but will ask here. A beach view is $30 more a night. Is it worth it?

Does anyone know the answer to this? What do the city view rooms look out over (and please, don't answer "the city" ;) ). I want to book this today and want to make sure the extra $30 is worth the investment.

Hi Bequia! This thread is very helpful. I posted this question on the main board but have since found your thread and thought it might be better to ask you directly. What is there to do in Fort Lauderdale from 5am-10:30/11ish? Any great places for breakfast? or things to do at this hour? Thnkas for any info!

Liz

Does anyone know the answer to this? What do the city view rooms look out over (and please, don't answer "the city" ;) ). I want to book this today and want to make sure the extra $30 is worth the investment.

I'm not sure specifically about the "city view", but if you don't look at the ocean, you might be able to see the intracoastal, downtown, or hotels/condos. Being that this hotel does not have balconies, I would not pay extra for an oceanview.

Hi Bequia! This thread is very helpful. I posted this question on the main board but have since found your thread and thought it might be better to ask you directly. What is there to do in Fort Lauderdale from 5am-10:30/11ish? Any great places for breakfast? or things to do at this hour? Thnkas for any info!

Liz

Bequia abandoned this thread several months ago, so I have been helping out. The Floridian Restaurant and Lester's Diner (Lesters is closest to airport) are open 24 hrs. Le Bonne Crepe opens at 7 or 7:30.

Hi-- I have just readl all 39 pages of this thread and it seems this question has never come up..

we are arriving into FLL on a red eye from the West coast. We are looking at flights that arrive at 5am. We will be boarding our ship the same day. I thought about booking a room for the night before- and just checking in for a few hours--or rent a car for the morning -- but now I am not sure-

All we want to do is eat a light breakfast and pick up some wine before heading to the ship (about 11am)-- any suggestions ? thanks !

What's the best way to get to these restaurants, Water Taxi or Bus? I will be staying at Hyatt Place North. Thank you!

Both are close to the water taxi, but you will have to walk about 8 blocks to get to it. It's easy to take the 40 bus to Coconuts (east from 17th St near your hotel to A1A just before Las Olas, then walk a block west). To Le Bonne Crepe, you could take the 1 bus (north from SE 17th St at US1 to Broward Blvd at US1, then cross street and walk a block south to Las Olas Blvd. and turn left). Bus is 1.50 each way, exact change only.

Help! Does anyone know anything about the Fairfield Inn & Suites (airport)? Is it decent and is it in a safe area . We plan on parking our car there while we are on the cruise would you feel comfortable doing this. This will be our first time in Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks

Edited by lomar

I'm not sure specifically about the "city view", but if you don't look at the ocean, you might be able to see the intracoastal, downtown, or hotels/condos. Being that this hotel does not have balconies, I would not pay extra for an oceanview.

I didn't realize that. That's the information I needed. Thanks.

I have been reading thru the pages here but thought I would just ask. We are flying into FLL on Nov 13. We need a hotel for the 13th checking out on the 14th. I already have set up transport from whatever hotel we get to the Miami port for Sunday thru SAS. My question is what do I ask for when bidding thru priceline if I want a hotel on the beach only other preference is close to food. LOL I have 2 teenagers and my Mother coming with me so we dont want to have to walk too far but we all are in good shape so a little bit of a walk would be ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated! **The man at SAS had suggested I think the Best Western Oceanside but I believe I read somewhere on here that it wasnt that nice? Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance!

Tara

You can easily walk to Trina, 954, Casablanca Cafe, or H20. There is also Shula's steakhouse in the Westin but I haven't tried it or heard anything. If you are looking for really casual inexpensive food, Lulu's Bait Shack at Beach Place is popular (it's more of a bar, but they have a lot of fried seafood and people like it). There is also a Hooter's there. Quarterdeck is a good burger joint, but it's a little further walk.

What hotels are close to Lulu's? Any close to the beach or am I way off?

Thanks!

Tara :)

What hotels are close to Lulu's? Any close to the beach or am I way off?

Thanks!

Tara :)

The hotels by Lulu's are Marriott Beach Place and the Ritz Carlton. The Westin is about 4 blocks away. All are right across the street from the beach.

I have been reading thru the pages here but thought I would just ask. We are flying into FLL on Nov 13. We need a hotel for the 13th checking out on the 14th. I already have set up transport from whatever hotel we get to the Miami port for Sunday thru SAS. My question is what do I ask for when bidding thru priceline if I want a hotel on the beach only other preference is close to food. LOL I have 2 teenagers and my Mother coming with me so we dont want to have to walk too far but we all are in good shape so a little bit of a walk would be ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated! **The man at SAS had suggested I think the Best Western Oceanside but I believe I read somewhere on here that it wasnt that nice? Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance!

Tara

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=78&

Use this link and scroll down to Fort Lauderdale beach to see recent Priceline wins and number of stars. My advice is that if you want to be at or on the beach, do not use Priceline. Hyatt Pier 66 is not a reasonable walk to the beach, Gallery One is about a 4-5 block walk, Il Lugano is about 3 blocks away, Marriott Harbor Beach is not reasonable walking distance to anything but is on the beach, and Ocean Sky gets some bad reviews. If you bid 3 or 4 star, you could end up with any of these, and I don't know about the 1-2 star hotels. The other 3-4 star hotels listed are right at or on the beach and are great. Bahia Mar is a 3 star right across the street from the beach and is just 6 blocks from the strip. They tend to have the best rates in the area, so maybe you can get a good deal there by booking directly. The Best Western Oceanside might be fine (check tripadvisor for latest reviews), but there isn't that much around within 10 blocks.

Edited by royalcruz

Help! Does anyone know anything about the Fairfield Inn & Suites (airport)? Is it decent and is it in a safe area . We plan on parking our car there while we are on the cruise would you feel comfortable doing this. This will be our first time in Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale has some auto break-ins and theft, but this area is considered safe enough.

The hotels by Lulu's are Marriott Beach Place and the Ritz Carlton. The Westin is about 4 blocks away. All are right across the street from the beach.

Thank ou very much for your help! I reall appreciate it! :)