On Board WiFi??

mountainlady

Hi all, I'm sailing on the Sapphire next month and cannot decide if I should bring my laptop or not. When on the Dawn a couple of years ago, I used the ships computers and it was fine. My sister used her laptop but in the internet cafe only. I am wondering if I brought my laptop and purchased the ships internet plan, would I be able to use the laptop in other places, such as on deck, in the bars or in my cabin? Also, is there a different price if you use your own computer vs the ships? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Ships are made of metal which tends to shield electrical signals particularly low level microwave. WiFi, a microwave signal, is not that strong to start with and does not travel well through the metal walls. Some locations on the ship will have WiFi signals available but a lot will not. Where your stateroom is located will determine whether WiFi is available. Chances are it will not. Same is true of bars, etc.

The price is the same whether you use their computers or yours. The difference is you can download data to the hard drive on your computer and not on theirs, etc.

Internet response on a ship is not like the response you get on a land based internet connection. Do not expect the same quality of service as your local high speed internet connection.

Archived