QM2 "around the uk cruise"

bunkrest

Hello,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.

Here is my question regarding the "around the British isles" cruise this Oct.

More of a question regarding what my travel agent told me than the actual cruise itself.

After I had booked the cruise and decided which cabin,I got a call back from my TA asking me if I would like to be considered for an upgrade should one become available,the cabin I had reserved "in-hull" balcony is my first choice but of course who wouldn't like a better cabin for the same price,so I agreed.

The question is,would a restricted view open balcony on D8 be considered as an upgrade from the in-hull balcony on D6,my TA seems to think it would.

Thanks in advance.

One more question,is there a spell checker that I need to turn on because I can't see one?

Hello,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.

Here is my question regarding the "around the British isles" cruise this Oct.

More of a question regarding what my travel agent told me than the actual cruise itself.

After I had booked the cruise and decided which cabin,I got a call back from my TA asking me if I would like to be considered for an upgrade should one become available,the cabin I had reserved "in-hull" balcony is my first choice but of course who wouldn't like a better cabin for the same price,so I agreed.

The question is,would a restricted view open balcony on D8 be considered as an upgrade from the in-hull balcony on D6,my TA seems to think it would.

Thanks in advance.

Myself, I would prefer the in-hull balcony to a restricted view glass one which will be blocked by a lifeboat. The restricted view balconies used to be cheaper than the in-hull cabins but Cunard changed things this year and now they're dearer. We had an in-hull balcony last month and really liked it. I would have one again but I wouldn't fancy one behind a lifeboat.

Take a look at this thread with photos of each

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20889085&highlight=balcony#post20889085

If you take a look at these deck plans, the current plan shows them as A4 category, but the 2007 plans show them as B5 and B6

http://www.cunard.co.uk/QMary2_2008_Flash/fullscreen.html

http://www.cunard.co.uk/QMary2_2007_Flash/fullscreen.html

Thanks Ray...your right,I going to stick with what I have booked.

The thought of looking out on those lifeboats I just can't imagine.

Although, if I was booked into a inside stateroom and was offered the restricted view

Then of course I would be happy,but the in hull cabin wins hands down (I hope).

And of course the weather in October around the uk would lend itself to the in hull rather than the open balcony "that's the plan".

I agree with the above posts. An obstructed view cabin is now considered an "upgrade" over an in-hull cabin. But in my view, and I have been in both, an in-hull is a lot better than looking at lifeboats with no view.

We were on the QM2 last week and asked the on board cruise consultant that very question. She said Cunard changed the obstructed view cabins because of people upset with upgrades from a glass balcony view to an in-hull, even though the glass balcony had no view at all because of the lifeboats. I would think the opposite would be true and now they will get complaints the other way.

Hi,

I am on this Cruise and have booked an in hull balcony cabin and for the first time i have asked NOT to be upgraded for the reasons already mentioned. Stay with what you have :)

Also please come and join the Roll Call for this Cruise in the Roll Call section :D

Gavin :cool:

It really comes down to personal preference. I've sailed on the QM2 more than ten times and have always booked a deck 8 obstructed view cabin. Once I was upgraded to an in hull cabin on deck 6 and did NOT consider this an upgrade...too claustrophobic for me...just prefer the openness of the deck 8 cabins, even with the lifeboats right in front.

As Gav mentioned, join the roll call for this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=758033

Hope to see you on board! :)

Hi

I am on the Around Britain also. I have been on QM2 for 2 other trips, a Caribbean cruise and a crossing and had the obstructed balcony cabins on Deck 8 ( when they were D6 cat) I thought they were great except for that lifeboat view. Back in 2004 in the carribean QM2 had to anchor most places and the lifeboats became tenders, so we had the benefit of a glass balc with no obstruction for the day.:D I am exicted to see what the in hull balcony is like in Oct. I think the rest of the unobstructed glass balconies are on deck 11 & 12, or Grills.

Archived