Two sets of cruise docs?

I know it's been a few years since we've sailed with RCI but when did they start wasting paper and postage by sending out two sets of cruise docs? Once I made final payment, I recieved a magazine size set of documents for our cruise that looked like the cruise docs, just in magazine size format. Yesterday I recieved the smaller book I'm accustomed to with our luggage tags in it as well. The first set was not a C&A magazine as it was specific to our cruise, had our C&A loyalty numbers in it and information on shore excursions et.....

Personally, I'd rather have the lost C&A diamond members benefits back rather than see RCI start to waste money sending out two sets of docs on every booking.

We received both set of these documents. If you look closely

you will see that the magazine sized booklets is strictly about

the excursions. I believe they are encouraging you to sign up

early before embarkation.

The other booklet has all of your documents for your cruise.

It will include your luggage tags, any vouchers you have pre-paid

(transfers or hotel) through the cruise line.

I hope this helps.

First I've heard of this. How did you book? If you book through RCI directly then they do NOT send you hard-copy dox - just e-dox. So I can only assume that you booked through a TA. But come to think of it, two of our cruises this year were booked through a TA and we received nothing in the mail ... sounds like you are either a very special guest,;) or a TA must have requested?

First I've heard of this. How did you book? If you book through RCI directly then they do NOT send you hard-copy dox - just e-dox. So I can only assume that you booked through a TA. But come to think of it, two of our cruises this year were booked through a TA and we received nothing in the mail ... sounds like you are either a very special guest,;) or a TA must have requested?

When I booked through RCCL he asked whether I wanted paper docs or e-docs. He suggested I get paper docs for the luggage tags, but to fill out and use e-docs.

When I booked through RCCL he asked whether I wanted paper docs or e-docs. He suggested I get paper docs for the luggage tags, but to fill out and use e-docs.

He probably meant fill out and use on line check in.....you don't really fill out e-docs...they fill out themselves!:p

But, you DO fill in the OLCI and print out your set sail pass when it's ready...(usually after final but you can do everything as soon as you book)

This one was booked through a TA. Normally I handle everything myself but, I had excess Hilton Grand Vacation Club points (timeshare) and this was a way to get some usage out of them. When we handle our own bookings direct through RCI, we only get the E-docs, which has been fine by me.

First booklet you got sounds like an excursion booklet. Then you got the regular docs. I've gotten both on my last three cruises (since Oct 2007). Never got the separate excursion booklet before then.

If it's a case of excursion advertising, the interesting thing was it was only listing excursions for Rome.

Looking at the front of the booklet it does say shore excursions and cruise enhancement guide.

Let's see, they take away benefits from Diamond members, cut back on the coupons in the loyalty coupon books BUT spend money producing this and mailing it out? I wonder how that's working out for them?

For the first time I booked directly with UK RCI. Wasn't asked if I wanted my documents emailed or posted to me. If they had asked I would have requested e-docs.

We fly out 2 weeks tomorrow. I have been calling RCI for the last week as we still have no documents. Today's phone call was priceless:

Judi: where are my cruise docs?

RCI: oh, we're waiting on them being sent from the distribution centre in Chicago so we can then send them on to you in Scotland.

Judi: why can't they be sent directly to me from Chicago?

RCI: oh, I don't know.

Judi: so when will I get these docs?

RCI: oh (she was found of saying oh) maybe sometime next week.

Judi: what if they don't come?

RCI: oh, if they're not with you by this time next week call us back and we will email them to you.

Judi: can't you do that now.

RCI: sorry no, mail documents were requested.

Judi: but I wasn't asked at the time of booking what I wanted?

Note: I was tempted to say here "what as opposed to female documents" but I managed to curb my sarcasm:rolleyes:

RCI: most UK customers prefer their document to be posted so we normally don't ask.

Judi: but surely if you did ask most would opt for the email version and it would be more cost effective and RCI wouldn't then have to change the C&A benefits etc etc.

RCI: yes, but they're coming in the post and should be with you next week. Thank you for you call. Goodbye.

Can you understand my frustration or am I just over-reacting?:confused::mad::confused::mad:

• 2 weeks later...

What you got was a shore excursion book. If you ask for edocs they won’t waste the paper but you also don’t get the luggage tags if booked directly with RCCL. If you use a TA, RCCL provides blank tags that the TA can print for you. In the near future you will have to pay $35 for printed docs.

As far as not having any docs as long as the cruise line has you confirmed on the sailing they can check you in (it used to be called peer side docs).

To update our situation. I called again last Friday and asked them to email the documents. The Rep. at Royal Caribbean did this as I spoke to her on the phone. The following day I received another set of docs in the post.

Although I had printed off our set-sail passes I was anxious to get the documents as they encompassed our flight tickets, transfer vouchers and hotel voucher.

This is not exactly true. I have booked almost exclusively thru RCI's website (our last cruise was last month and I have one coming up next month). You will automatically get e-docs UNLESS you go into "My Cruises" click on the tab "Cruise Documentation" then choose Guest Vacation Documents - Check Status button. You can request to get your documents by mail (luggage tags ARE included this way!) and you can still print out your online check-in before your sailing.

I really do love receiving the docs in the mail, it makes the cruise that much more real. And I have all the luggage tags I need and don't have to have them filled out at the port. Hoping to see mine soon in the mail - doc dance here I come :p!!!

When we did our Hawaii Cruise last Oct on the ROS, I received in the mail, a booklet, forms I had already done online for emergency contacts, credit card to be used, then 1 week later the luggage tags. I had booked thru our TA yet everything came to our house. I was told I didn't need to refill out all the forms as I had done so online. I did some just in case, but was never asked for them, only our set Sail Pass.

Archived