It's Official... Celebrity is rolling out Open Seating on all ships

Rick-cruiser

It may be a bit easier now, but in most really nice restaurants, unless you make plans ahead, the restaurant will tell you what time you'll be dining and it's usually very early or very late. If Select Dining becomes very popular, those "desired" dining times will book up quickly as well. It will still be a case of having to serve everyone during a certain period of time, in a finite number of seats. There's no heading down the street to the next best place.

I hope it works well and I'm certainly willing to give it a try, but there is also the possibility that it will cause some problems. I wonder if Celebrity might have to solve the problem by offering all their "loyal" cruisers first choice of times.

It seems to me that this is a debate over nothing, as the wishes of both groups of people can be met quite nicely. I'm sure if RC can do it well, Celebrity can do it better! Just a thought......

AMEN to that...my feelings EXACTLY!!!

Not rude, just childish at this point repeating the same thing over and over trying to avoid listening to what anyone else has to say.

I perfectly understand why YOU prefer traditional dining it's just that I don't personally agree with those reasons (again, banquet and weddings are not high dining, and I have been to a LOT of them). Just like I'm sure you understand why I and others prefer dining when we want, despite you probably not agreeing with those reasons. And that's what's great about the way Celebrity and others are handling this. It accomodates BOTH of these groups.

What I however do NOT understand is all the people saying that they never dress up at home and that's why they love traditional dining. If you like dressing up so much, why not do it at home?? Do you live in the middle of nowhere, in a place that doesn't even have a decent restaurant? Why do you feel you can only dress up while floating in an ocean? I often dress up to go out for a nice dinner but in most of those instances (aside from banquets and weddings), I know it's crazy to comprehend, but I tell the restaurant when I want to eat. Imagine that! :)

The bottom line is if you want ultra traditional there are lines that will happily accomodate you. Typically they will cost more but that's because those lines are appealing to a far smaller population which is exactly the reason Celebrity is moving forward with this. Whether you like it or not, the majority of PEOPLE prefer to dine when they want. While one could argue that the majority of CURRENT Celebrity cruisers prefer traditional, Celebrity want's to bring NEW customers in. Lots of customers keeps the prices down for all of us. If you don't like where things are going, check out www.cunard.com.

LOL It must to be nice to be able to dine in NYC. we get Lard, pork ribs, chicken fingers, and fried catfish here.:D

Oops, I forgot the greasy pizza.:(

Good point Ma Bell.

As mentioned earlier, the detail is a concern, and it's simplistic just to say more choice means everyone will be happier. Some things are more pleasant as a group - some like to share tables, but there isn't infinite availability to satisfy everyone in both groups. On other lines I've seen the fixed seating fill up first so the "choice" of fixed seating is then taken away and, when everyone's doing their own thing, it removes much of the opportunity for shared experiences.

LOL It must to be nice to be able to dine in NYC. we get Lard, pork ribs, chicken fingers, and fried catfish here.:D

Oops, I forgot the greasy pizza.:(

It's great dining in NYC, until you get the bill!! And that's the same reason it's great to travel to other places, everything is so much cheaper! :D

Pizza is still cheap (and good) here though. They say a slice of cheese pizza and a ride on the subway are always equal, and they are at about $2.25 each.

Here's an article just out regarding Celebrity rolling out its version of open seating.... "Celebrity Select":

8/25/09 - Celebrity Select “Celebrity Select” will be introduced on the Equinox in September, according to a spokesperson for Celebrity Cruises. Celebrity Select is the line’s version of open seating and will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet between January and March 2010.

The spokesperson said that on the Solstice-class of ships up to 400 guests chose to dine in the alternative restaurants each night, which frees up “extra” seats in the main dining room, allowing flexibility and no lines of people waiting to be seated.

Commented Jacques van Staden, vice president of culinary operations for Celebrity. “We may be the last cruise line to offer open seating, but we want to offer the best such system.

“Passengers have had some problems with open seating on other ships. For example, a couple may want to dine alone, but when they arrive in the dining room they may be told they can only be seated at a table with other guests. That’s really not open seating. So starting this fall we will offer our guests an option. If a couple wants to dine alone at 7:30, we will let them know if that’s possible. If not, the guests can choose to dine with other passengers or select another time.”

I just want to know where to find this article. I see no mention of this in any of my searches. Rick-cruiser, could you give us the source of this article?

Garry

Good point Ma Bell.

As mentioned earlier, the detail is a concern, and it's simplistic just to say more choice means everyone will be happier. Some things are more pleasant as a group - some like to share tables, but there isn't infinite availability to satisfy everyone in both groups. On other lines I've seen the fixed seating fill up first so the "choice" of fixed seating is then taken away and, when everyone's doing their own thing, it removes much of the opportunity for shared experiences.

I don't disagree, you can't ever please everyone. But what the traditionalists appear to believe now is that everyone is happy. I assure you everyone isn't happy with the current situation and those arguing against it are the ones who like it just the way it is.

The problem is that if your late booking it almost always puts you in the late seating.... I prefer the MDR, but not too late. This would at least give the option of good dining at an earlier time. I like the change.

What's wrong with the current dinner arrangements?

If you don't want to go to either of the MDR sittings, you can still dine by booking the Ocean View (Destinations on Summit) at any time between 19:00 and 21:30 or dine casually.

Current options seems to cater for everyone.

On other lines I've seen the fixed seating fill up first so the "choice" of fixed seating is then taken away and, when everyone's doing their own thing, it removes much of the opportunity for shared experiences.

Clearly there is a subset of passengers who do not wish to share your experiences; they want their own vacation experience. What if one person's shared experience is another person's intrusive gasbag? Why would you wish to try to have a shared experience with those who dislike the concept?

For years, my husband refused to try cruising because he was sure he'd hate the it--he pictured pushy cruise directors, assigned dining arrangements and forced interaction with other passengers. I finally got him to try cruising, and he is a convert, though he still doesn't like being assigned tablemates. Realize that he is not alone. Some (many?) others who have never cruised have the same mental picture. The industry wants to reach these people as much as they want to retain current customers. Celebrity wants part of the action. And it fits their "starring you" motto-a real celebrity is not forced to dine with strangers; they choose.

I think Royal has done a better job on MTD than Princess has with anytime dining. Princess uses separate dining rooms, capping the number of traditional slots. Furthermore, Princess did not necessarily verify enrollment in anytime dining at the dining room door, so some on traditional dining plan gamed the system, lined up th anytime diners if they wanted an earlier or later dinner one evening, and created longer lines. While I felt Princess' anytime dining was a bomb, MTD by Royal worked. The size of the MTD section of the MDR is flexible cruise to cruise, and they verified cabin numbers/MTD assignment at the door. I never saw no line or very short lines on IOS, a big ship. I think Celebrity will handle it well. I hope they are not planning to infill slots at established tables when one couple is at a specialty dining venue. But I can imagine them utilizing an empty table. I plan to stick with traditional dining for now, but let's give give Celebrity the benefit of the doubt for now.

I just want to know where to find this article. I see no mention of this in any of my searches. Rick-cruiser, could you give us the source of this article? Garry

Hi Garry...Not Rick...I Googled "Celebrity Select" & here's the link: ;)

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3118-82509-celebrity-select.html

I'm so sorry to have offended you! We live in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area where there are a very large number of fine dining restaurants, on both sides of the Potomac. You do have a choice of dining times (not just two), and if the first choice isn't convenient or available, there are many others that will seek your business.

So according to what I have read many people are leaving MDR seats empty because they are choosing specialty restaurants on some evenings and therfore there is room for select dining. Does that mean that I may come to my assigned table for late seating "traditional" and find that because my tablemates opted for specialty that night that there are "select" diners already seated at my table in various stages of dining!? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Here's an article just out regarding Celebrity rolling out its version of open seating.... "Celebrity Select":

8/25/09 - Celebrity Select “Celebrity Select” will be introduced on the Equinox in September, according to a spokesperson for Celebrity Cruises. Celebrity Select is the line’s version of open seating and will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet between January and March 2010.

The spokesperson said that on the Solstice-class of ships up to 400 guests chose to dine in the alternative restaurants each night, which frees up “extra” seats in the main dining room, allowing flexibility and no lines of people waiting to be seated.

Commented Jacques van Staden, vice president of culinary operations for Celebrity. “We may be the last cruise line to offer open seating, but we want to offer the best such system.

“Passengers have had some problems with open seating on other ships. For example, a couple may want to dine alone, but when they arrive in the dining room they may be told they can only be seated at a table with other guests. That’s really not open seating. So starting this fall we will offer our guests an option. If a couple wants to dine alone at 7:30, we will let them know if that’s possible. If not, the guests can choose to dine with other passengers or select another time.”

Rick,

This will be my first cruise on Solstice in Oct. I hate to admit how dumb i feel, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I requested late seating and our friends accidentally requested early seating. we were told last week that we cannot get late seating. Does this address our issue?

THanks in advance

Vince

I just called Celebrity and confirmed that they will have select dining on the Equinox stating September 26th. I'm am so mad because I love it and won't get it since I'm sailing September 13!!! Lucky you sailing the 26th or after.

Sharon Campbell

So according to what I have read many people are leaving MDR seats empty because they are choosing specialty restaurants on some evenings and therfore there is room for select dining. Does that mean that I may come to my assigned table for late seating "traditional" and find that because my tablemates opted for specialty that night that there are "select" diners already seated at my table in various stages of dining!? That would be a deal breaker for me.

CLEMM - I think you may have misread or misintrepted what was meant, or the poster is way off. Since we don't really fully know how Celebrity will implement flex dining, most of our posts are suppositions.

What you described isn't even done at regular restaurants that seat everyone at various times, or done by any other cruise line that has some sort of flex and traditional dining. So even though we don't know how 'X' will set up their plan, we can assume it isn't such as this.

As most are describing, there will probably be a set area for flex dining and a number of tables set for that. I assume on one of the MDR levels and on one side or some setup such as that.

If your table mates aren't there, you will be eating by yourself.

Denny

I just called Celebrity and confirmed that they will have select dining on the Equinox stating September 26th. I'm am so mad because I love it and won't get it since I'm sailing September 13!!! Lucky you sailing the 26th or after.

Sharon Campbell

Sharon, I don't want to be rude, but how can you be 'so mad' when you made your reservation knowing you had traditional dining? I agree, too bad you'll miss what is being added, but mad?

I may well take advantage of flex dining some cruise, but I guess I'm missing why the reaction.

Denny

I'm only going by what I read. If the seats that are freed up, according to the spokesman, are from people eating in the specialty restaurants, then how will that translate into select dining areas. The empty seats will vary by night and table. I sure hope I am misinterpreting this.

[quote name='Denny01'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]CLEMM - I think you may have misread or misintrepted what was meant, or the poster is way off. Since we don't really fully know how Celebrity will implement flex dining, most of our posts are suppositions. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]What you described isn't even done at regular restaurants that seat everyone at various times, or done by any other cruise line that has some sort of flex and traditional dining. So even though we don't know how 'X' will set up their plan, we can assume it isn't such as this. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]As most are describing, there will probably be a set area for flex dining and a number of tables set for that. I assume on one of the MDR levels and on one side or some setup such as that. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]If your table mates aren't there, you will be eating by yourself. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Denny[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

That is how i see it too. Unlike Princess which has dedicated dining rooms for MTD and another MDR, Celebrity will dedicate sections of the MDR for MTD or fixed dining based on the number of request for each.

i.e. There might be 50 tables on one cruise, and 65 on the next cruise based on the dining request they have. At least that is what I hope for. If MTD becomes more popular the number of table used could increase even more.

The problem with Princess is they can only put a certain number of people in the MDR, and based on my experience their "anytime dining" popularity is not what they though it would be. Everyone who wanted fixed dining could not get it. By a long shot.

Only ever had fixed dining, and once or twice would like to have gone in later- but not too late. It would certainly be an advantage, especially if you have been out on "all day" tours or if you wanted to see or do something else on the ship at a particular time.

[quote name='CLEMM']So according to what I have read many people are leaving MDR seats empty because they are choosing specialty restaurants on some evenings and therfore there is room for select dining. Does that mean that I may come to my assigned table for late seating "traditional" and find that because my tablemates opted for specialty that night that there are "select" diners already seated at my table in various stages of dining!? That would be a deal breaker for me.[/quote]
No, it will mean that you eat at the table alone! It clearly says that peole who arrive together who wish to be seated togehter will be, and once they have started their meal, no one else will be put at the table.

It looks like it is going to work EXACTLY the same as the very successful RCI implementation of Mytime dining. Only a small select number of places (I think around 200) for MTD, in one corner of the MDR, and then everyone else is stuck with having to have traditional dining. Between 6 and 9:30, make a booking if you wish, must prepay grats.....looks like a winner. I just hope that they have the increased number of tables for two in CSD, as the only way to guarantee a table for two on RCI is with MTD

[quote name='Denny01']Sharon, I don't want to be rude, but how can you be 'so mad' when you made your reservation knowing you had traditional dining? I agree, too bad you'll miss what is being added, but mad?

I may well take advantage of flex dining some cruise, but I guess I'm missing why the reaction.

Denny[/QUOTE]

I was just kidding. But if it was a option I certainly love it!!!
Sharon

[quote name='Lois R']Hi Rick:)...where did you find this press release?
(Just wondering;))[/quote]

[quote name='gkm'][B]I just want to know where to find this article. I see no mention of this in any of my searches. Rick-cruiser, could you give us the source of this article?[/B]

[B]Garry[/B][/quote]

Hi Lois, Garry..

This is the first time I've been back to this thread since I posted it. Boy, has it exploded...!

Sure... here you go:

[URL]http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3118-82509-celebrity-select.html[/URL]

(just noticed that somebody else provided the link... but wanted to get back to you both... :) )

- Rick

Archived