cruise research???

Mr. Baloo

we always look at recent reviews, keeping in mind that opinions on the food/service, etc... is a very subjective item... as far as service, it is probably about the same no matter what home port the ship happens to be sailing from...this again is subjective, and just my opinion....i have found it to be very strange, how two people on the same cruise can have such a different experience, I guess each cruise is just what one makes of it...

Normally I search AAA or travelocity to get a list of all the cruises available for the time I want to sail/length of trip. Then I narrow down by 1) price 2)itinerary 3) cruise line 4) embarkation port.

I don't like to fly so I prefer to embark from the northeast. If I'm able to sail in May I'd likely sail RCCL from NJ.

As for changes, I think that's subjective. Interestingly, I'm sailing Destiny and read negatives reviews regarding her condition and service when she was home ported in PR vs her new home in Miami.

Oh, lastly, I check reviews and age/size of the ship before booking directly with the cruise line. I prefer newer ships, but will sail an older ship if she has good reviews and has been refurbished.

I will begin a search by itinerary most of the time. However, if I know I don't want to fly, then I have to search by port. When I find a few cruises that interest me, I compare ship features, price & specific port stops. I read the reviews, usually 5 at least. By reading reviews from different people I think I get a more rounded view of the ship. I had not even thought about anything being different when a ship changes home ports. I wouldn't expect it to matter, but now that I think about it, my 3 Galveston cruises seemed to have a friendlier staff overall than my 1 Miami one.

I use a price/ itinerary search. No matter where you sail, there is going to be someone who wasn't happy about something.:rolleyes:

This time around, we booked an eight day with only three stops along the way, to relax a bit more, rather than running all over to "see the sights".

We don't rely on reviews with cruise ships. Mostly read and laugh. You will never be on the same cruise, same cabin , same people or have the same people waite on you. So it really dosen't matter. We start out with the time of year and price, we have done a few cruises so it makes no difference where we go. We just want to get on a ship and go anywhere. If we can get a 9A for under $900 ea were good. Most of the time its a 8A under $700 or less. Its fun just looking at Military,over55 or PA resident to see what the best price is. It makes a difference of time of year and ship.

Have a great cruise.

I search the months or weeks available first, keeping in mind my school schedule, and the other travelers work schedules/availability to get off. Then I go for itinerary (someplace we have'nt gone before), then ship by amenities/age/refurbishment, then departure port.

Of course, all of this is thrown out the window (except for schedule) depending on if a sailing has a good price/sale/specials/upgrades/obc.

Mostly start with "when" then search for what is available during that time frame. Next is itinerary and then cost. Feb and around Thanksgiving our good "whens" for us. Feb to get us out of the terrible MN winter and Thanksgiving to give us a getaway before the pending cold, snow and ice.

For next year I was looking for a "special" cruise since DW and I both turn 40 so we ended up with a cruise in April. Not normally a month I would prefer to cruise but it's a 12 day to Hawaii so itinerary won out on that one as it's only offered once a year.

I first check out what's available in my travel time frame. Next is $$, and last is reading reviews on the ship from real people. Service, cleanliness, attitude of help( if they're not happy it's generally not a good sign), quality of food are all things I look at. Where we go is not important to us as long as we like the climate. You will be on the ship alot and if the ship on a whole does not have a good review chances are you will not enjoy it as much as a ship that has consistant great reviews. All the vacation sites usually have lots of reviews and of course this site. Narrow it down to the ship you are going on. You will also get reviews on the excursions and generally everything else! Hope this helps!

The cruise that I am going on I did extensive research. We had several options and preferred a 7 day, over a 5 but would settle for the 5. Because we have to fly regardless, airline prices were a big factor. I live in the midwest and am 3 hours from Omaha and 4 from Minneapolis. So had to factor into the total cost if we had to get a motel before and/or after. I use a particular website that you can search past guests and the state you live in, so found the best possibilities to go from. Then it was the airfare search and lastly what it cost to get to the port from the airport. We ended up booking a 6 day cruise (which fits my schedule perfectly) flight out of Des Moines, just 2 hours away and the motel in FLL picks us up at the airport and shuttles to the port. As for reviews, I don't look at them, as they are an opinion... For the motel though after reading not very good reviews for just one night at the original motel, I posted on here somewhere and got a very good review from someone that lives there.

I don't have a money tree in my back yard (lol), so I had to really factor in everything. But it has worked so far, booked 2 cruises this same way and now I have people asking me if I look for them. They are jealous.

1. I always start with Where do I want to go? - specific Port I want to visit. I will go back someplace I have been to before - but in general like to go someplace NEW. "Where" is #1.
  2. Next is What Line/Ship - compare the different lines and Ships from that list - I like a newer Ship, or one that has been updated.
  3. When do I want to go? there are a few months each year I can't travel - so I cross those out and look at pricing for the rest.
  4. How will I travel ... if I can get a Balcony for the same or slightly more than an inside on one line - I usually choose that Cruise.

That is why it always comes back to Carnival. They go most places I want to see, always have a new Ship to try, are consistant in their product, and I can always afford a Balcony!

Archived