White pass train ?

funtimex2

I can't seem to find the answer but I know it is buried somewhere....... Which side of the train is best for the trip up to White Pass? We will be riding the train up and taking the bus back after our adventure into the Yukon.

Left side up for the views. Right side is pretty much rocks. Wait to stand outside until the second half as you are reallly heading up the hill. Smell the trees and enjoy to views as you pass over the bridge through the dark tunnels. Ride not as long as we thought it would be, Kids got very bored.

I took this trip in 2002 and loved it! I am going again in about a week. My nieghbor has never been to Alaska and I thought this will be a good one for her to take. We are taking the bus up with the BBQ and the train back. I was told to take the let side up on the Bus and the Right side back on the train. Is this not correct? The ship doesn't leave until late so we will have time to walk aroumd the town and go the the Saloon for a drink before reboarding the ship.

Should be a really fun day.

Smiles.........Kitty (Nan)

They have a mandatory seat exchange on the way back so even if u don't get that left side on the way up, you will have it on the way back.

They are NOT doing a round trip train, so it is essential they get on the "right side" to begin with- which is the LEFT side of the train leaving Skagway.

I took this trip in 2002 and loved it! I am going again in about a week. My nieghbor has never been to Alaska and I thought this will be a good one for her to take. We are taking the bus up with the BBQ and the train back. I was told to take the let side up on the Bus and the Right side back on the train. Is this not correct? The ship doesn't leave until late so we will have time to walk aroumd the town and go the the Saloon for a drink before reboarding the ship.

Should be a really fun day.

Smiles.........Kitty (Nan)

Are you going to Yukon??? Overall, the right side of the bus has more scenery past the White Pass and ALL the scenery Skagway to the White Pass 20+++ miles. Especially if you are doing the SHORT White Pass combo trips, you want to sit on the LEFT side of the train leaving Skagway and bus leaving Frasier/White Pass and RIGHT side of the bus leaving Skagway and returning by train.

Are you going to Yukon??? Overall, the right side of the bus has more scenery past the White Pass and ALL the scenery Skagway to the White Pass 20+++ miles. Especially if you are doing the SHORT White Pass combo trips, you want to sit on the LEFT side of the train leaving Skagway and bus leaving Frasier/White Pass and RIGHT side of the bus leaving Skagway and returning by train.

Ok now I am confused. We are taking the bus from the ship up to the Yukon and taking the train back to Skayway. So I am to get on the Right side of the bus leaving Skayway and the left side of the train coming back? This the all day combo. Is this correct or is it the opposite?

Thanks,

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Ok now I am confused. We are taking the bus from the ship up to the Yukon and taking the train back to Skayway. So I am to get on the Right side of the bus leaving Skayway and the left side of the train coming back? This the all day combo. Is this correct or is it the opposite?

Thanks,

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Nope- right side for BOTH.

Some companies run the trip in reverse, starting with the bus and returning to the train. I was told by ours that if the train booked tour up trip is full, the bus up, train back leaves an hour later. Obviously when the train gets to the border (and you transfer to the bus) the train comes back again to take the next bunch I would assume.

Some companies run the trip in reverse, starting with the bus and returning to the train. I was told by ours that if the train booked tour up trip is full, the bus up, train back leaves an hour later. Obviously when the train gets to the border (and you transfer to the bus) the train comes back again to take the next bunch I would assume.

Yes, they certainly do run the combo trips both ways, they do not run empty buses or trains in a single direction.

For final clairfication- IF You leave Skagway by train, sit on the LEFT both ways on a combo train/bus trip. IF you leave Skagway by bus/van, then sit on the RIGHT side both ways with a combo trip.

For the best view sit by a window as follows:

Just returned from this area in June of this year. For your best view sit by a window as follows:

By train:

Leaving Skagway sit on the left side of the train.

Leaving Fraser sit on the right side of the train.

By bus:

Leaving Skagway sit on the right (passenger) side of the bus.

Leaving Fraser sit on the left (driver) side of the bus.

Archived