Car rental near port?

cruisinskier

Hi all. We will be on the AOS visiting St Croix on Oct 3/09. Friends we are cruising with spent a summer on the island 20 years ago. While it has been a few years and i am sure it has changed, they want to visit some past favorite locations so the 4 of us have decided to rent a car / jeep for the day.

I assume most rental companies are near the airport. Can anyone suggest a reputable car rental company near the port?

Thanks

cruisinskier

We will be in St. Croix in Nov. I went with this company as they have an office right at the pier.

http://www.budgetstcroix.com/

I tried using Judi of St. Croix but they do not service the pier.

We had to email our cc information prior to our arrival.

What are the highlights of St. Croix?

Thanks,

Sheal

• 1 month later...

Sheal - some of the highlights are the historical sites... Whim Plantation, Laweatz Family Museum, Forts, Christiansted National Historic Site. Also the protected areas: Salt River Bay, Sandy Point, Buck Island. Strolling around the old towns: Frediksted and Christiansted. Doing an island drive is nice as the east side (dry, short brush) is so different from the forested north-west side. Enjoying the water... beaches, boating, kayaking... diving (good diving on St. Croix). You might check out some guides for St. Croix for more details: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=visiting+st.+croix+%2B+things+to+do&aq=f&oq=&aqi=.

--Islander

• 1 month later...

We rented a car for our first visit to St Croix. We used Olympic car rental and booked when we got off the ship. It was about 40$ total for the day.

We started off to Cane bay. It was windy the day we were here and did not snorkel. We then headed to Columbus landing. I would not take time to stop here. The beach was just ok there.

We drove through Christiansted. The town was very busy and we could not find a place to park. We drove to Cheeseburger in Paradise. Had two great burgers and a wonderful Lime & Coconut drink.

We went to a beach by Buccaneers hotel, took road to right past security and went to beach there. This beach was quiet and if we had more time we would of stayed for a while.

We headed back and drove through the rain forrest and stopped at the spot where the pig drinks beer. We did not stay there were too many bugs and we had not brought bug spray.

All in all we found it easy to rent a car. Not hard to drive on the left and a great way to explore the island for our first visit.

DSC_0323.JPG.942397ce522aaa2d037398eb51ace7b3.JPG

DSC_0325.JPG.33cb50e8e8d80425688b86980af91ed9.JPG

There are three different car rental companies set up along strand street on cruise ship days. Avis, Olypic, and Hertz. Olypic usually has a gut standing with a sign by the fountain, Hertz is at the Cruzan rum store, and Avis is at the end of the block. all three are good, just check for pricing comparisons. you can either book in advance or when you disimbark.

• 1 month later...

Archived