Passport cards for kids?????

We have never taken our kids on a cruise but are thinking about it next summer ~ July 2010 from Jacksonville to the Bahamas. From everything I have read I can just get them new passport cards, is this correct????

You have several options:

The path of least resistance is to just use their birth certificates (and depending on their age, a school ID or state-issued ID).

You can also get the Passport Card. The upside is that your kids will have a picture ID. The downside is that it's only good for cruising and land travel.

Or you can get the regular Passport book. The upside is that your kids will have a picture ID *and* they can fly internationally. The downside is that it's the most expensive option and needs renewal pretty regularly.

Passports get renewed every ten years, five for kids.

I have read that some families will make the passports their Christmas gifts. Others have staggered the timing of getting them.

The passport laws can change at any time. Get a passport if you are going out of the country, you never know when an emergency will pop up. Just today there is a thread about a family being 'dumped' in the Grand Caymans due to a medical emergency.

Here is the link to the story, cannot find the thread.

http://www.wptv.com/content/news/martin/palmcity/story/carnival-cruise-ship-cayman-islands-family-stuck-l/ygy0Xm6VxkqKv6mHN-8zCQ.cspx

LemurCat has it correct

You can use any of the 3 options with the passport being the best and most expensive.

We have both the card and a passport. On the cruise we leave the passport locked in the safe and carry the pp card as photo id. If we miss the ship, this allows us to get a ship or charter to the next port or have proof of our citizenship for the embassy.

LemurCat has it correct

You can use any of the 3 options with the passport being the best and most expensive.

We have both the card and a passport. On the cruise we leave the passport locked in the safe and carry the pp card as photo id. If we miss the ship, this allows us to get a ship or charter to the next port or have proof of our citizenship for the embassy.

I was unaware of the option of getting both the card and a full passport. Are the costs cumulative?

I was unaware of the option of getting both the card and a full passport. Are the costs cumulative?

If you already have a passport you can fill out the renew by mail form, get 2 pics, and send it in with your pp and $20.00.

You can apply for both at the same time as well. Here's the link to cost with a new app:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

If you already have a passport you can fill out the renew by mail form, get 2 pics, and send it in with your pp and $20.00.

You can apply for both at the same time as well. Here's the link to cost with a new app:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Cool beans....thanks. We are up for renewal anyway, but I like your thoughts on carrying the card and leaving the book locked up in the safe.

We have never taken our kids on a cruise but are thinking about it next summer ~ July 2010 from Jacksonville to the Bahamas. From everything I have read I can just get them new passport cards, is this correct????

Unless you are getting the full passports for the kids I'd save my money. Kids 16 and under just need a birth certificate.

Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.

Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

If you would need to fly back home for some reason the kids still couldn't fly with a passport card so it would be a waste of money.

Bill

It's only $100 and good for 5 years. That's 20/year. We are taking all four kids this year and had to get them for three of them (they are 16 now). But we waited till they turned 16 to get them so they'd be good for 10 years. Because after you are 16 you get an adult passport.

Archived