travel insurance? do you always purchase it?

NWgal65

We have only cruised once, but at the advice of everyone her on CC back then, we purchased the insurance so that we could be covered in the case of an emergency. My husband wasn't convinced that we needed it, but he deferred to my judgment since I'm the researcher of the family. :)

We never expected to have to file a nearly $500 claim because of a hurricane. The entire story is at the link in my signature.

There's more to the insurance than just medical. Look at the other benefits, because honestly, you are more likely to use it for lost luggage than for needing to be airlifted off the ship.

Hello! Any input on this would be appreciated. Do most seasoned crusiers always purchase this? Should this be just part of the vacation expense...or do some of you opt out and take your chances? Do most major health insurance policies cover medical treatment out of this country?

Thanks!

I can't say most do as I have friends who never purchase it. They are a retired couple so they budget every penny. But last year it almost cost them a cruise. The wife broke a bone in her foot, and her doctor told her to cancel her cruise. She ended up going wearing a boot most of the time. She is booked on another cruise a year from now and still no insurance.

As for me I always purchase the insurance, and as a TA always encourage my clients to do so. You never know what may happen!:confused:

Yes, we always purchase the insurance. I believe every time thru the Cruise company.

First, we have kids. And second, tho I get vacation from work, my business is such is my company does have the option to cancel even scheduled vacation if there is a very desperate need. This happened to me twice, so I was glad I had the insurance. My company reimbursed me for anything the insurance did not cover.

Out of our 4 cruises, we only purchased travel insurance on the one that we flew to port. We were more worried about lost luggage & flight delays than anything else. However, I did make a call to our health insurance company & found that they don't cover us when out of the country. So, you'll want to check on that before you go. I think it is wise to have it just in case, but obviously I haven't followed my own advice.

Archived