Putting money up front for OBC - anyone done this?

activeac

Works great, then bar bill not so high when ya depart!:D

The bar bill is the same either way. It only differs in whether you pay for it before you drink or after you drink. The same amount of your money is being spent regardless of which method you choose.

I can't understand giving money to anyone in advance. Why not leave the $ in your own account, draw interest on the money and pay the bill when it comes?

You are right of course, but for someone who knows that they don't have the financial self discipline to leave the money in their bank account until after the cruise, this method at least allows them to do something about it.

I don't like looking at bills when I get home, so I want it all behind me. Also, if the money is sitting there in my bank account, there's the temptation to spend it.

Roz

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

I can call Carnival or go online and purchase a gift certificate for myself. I then ask for the money to be placed on my OBC as cash?

Is this correct? What do I get for confirmation?

This would be great!

Yep. Do a search on here for Funship Dollars and you'll likely get the scoop. You can purchase them on-line or call Carnival, any denomination. In the address field, indicate ON BOARD CREDIT, and your Booking Number. You'll get an email confirmation pretty quickly, then you'll see it on your account in a few days. It's nice to have a smaller S&S bill by having some money on your account when you board. Some people say just leave it in an interest bearing savings account, but that really only amounts to a few dollars in interest, depending on how much money of course. To each his own... it is simply personal preference.

Yep. Do a search on here for Funship Dollars and you'll likely get the scoop. You can purchase them on-line or call Carnival, any denomination. In the address field, indicate ON BOARD CREDIT, and your Booking Number. You'll get an email confirmation pretty quickly, then you'll see it on your account in a few days. It's nice to have a smaller S&S bill by having some money on your account when you board. Some people say just leave it in an interest bearing savings account, but that really only amounts to a few dollars in interest, depending on how much money of course. To each his own... it is simply personal preference.

Thanks for the info!

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

I can call Carnival or go online and purchase a gift certificate for myself. I then ask for the money to be placed on my OBC as cash?

Is this correct? What do I get for confirmation?

This would be great!

Yes!! This is it!! I did this on my cruise in May on the Fantasy. I made a budget on my tips and how many drinks that I allow myself. I got back a check the last night for what I didn't use.

But I went online and purchased the gift certificate and placed my booking number in the line for the receiver.

I working on my budget for my March Triumph trip and will place my money for the OBC again.

I do this all the time...

I call in to the phone number that you purchase the gift certificates... But I call in about 7-10 days before my cruise, so that there isn't any time to get them mailed to me... I just have them apply it to my onboard account. Never had a prob.

Just when you do that, not that I ever had a prob at all, but Carnival will email you a receipt when you buy them, just print it out and take with you as back up.

Instead of using a credit card and carrying a wad of cash, I was wondering about calling Carnival and paying cash up front so when we arrive our account is already set up as On Board Credit. How feasible is this and has anyone done this before? If you have done it - did everything go smoothly?

Thank you,

Denise

Instead of using a credit card and carrying a wad of cash, I was wondering about calling Carnival and paying cash up front so when we arrive our account is already set up as On Board Credit. How feasible is this and has anyone done this before? If you have done it - did everything go smoothly?

Thank you,

Denise

yes it can be done..

I called the bon voyage department, and had cash put on my S&S card.

I leave in sept, and it's all there..I used my CC to have it done, then paid off the card

My boyfriend & I have been doing this for our cruise coming up in October...

Go to the Carnival website for gifts, purchase whatever Funship dollars denomination you want.

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=GiftCertificates&pid=FSD

In the address field:

type ON BOARD CREDIT on the 1st line

your booking number on the 2nd address line

then your city & state.

When I did it I got a confirmation e-mail saying I purchased the Funship Dollars w/ a confirmation number. A few days later I recieved this email:

Thank you for your Gift Certificate order. Your order will be applied as On-board Credit.

The credit will be applied approximately 2 weeks prior to sailing. If you have any questions please contact Special Programs at 1-800-906-7603. Please reference the order number in the subject line of this e-mail.

Samantha Hall

Guest Admin Special Programs

Colorado Springs Reservations

i leave for my cruise in 2 weeks is it to late to buy the fun ship dollars online? should i call and have them add it?

I have the same question. I would really like to add more money to our S&S cards, as I have already put $200 in. I was told there was no guarantee that money would be added on once the 2 week mark has passed, regardless if I called or did it online. HELP! This would totally help me out, since I am KNOWN for spending vacation money before the vacation...

I have the same question. I would really like to add more money to our S&S cards, as I have already put $200 in. I was told there was no guarantee that money would be added on once the 2 week mark has passed, regardless if I called or did it online. HELP! This would totally help me out, since I am KNOWN for spending vacation money before the vacation...

Give the money to someone to hold. I'll make the sacrifice necessary to hold your money if you need me to! :p

We did it for our November cruise coming up. We went to Bon Voyage gifts and purchased gift certificates and in name we put OBC and our booking number. Gotta love prepaying your S&S card. My only issue is, we have OBC from booking with a group and OBC for Stockholders benefit. Plus we put money on OBC ourselves. If we don't spend everything, will we get a check back on the last day for all money, including the OBC for group and stockholder? How do they differentiate the different OBC?

Give the money to someone to hold. I'll make the sacrifice necessary to hold your money if you need me to! :p

HAHAHA! I bet! I will be in good company on this trip. My fiance (and soon to be hubby) and my mother are EXCELLENT frugal people, so I have begged and pleaded with them to keep me on the straight and narrow. Even holding my wallet ransom, if need be. :p

We did this with a difference for our recent Princess Cruise (part of Carnival Group). We booked our cruise when the UK £ was strong and so we were able to purchase OBC at $2 to the £1. I 'gave' myself a large amount, then once onboard I withdrew the cash, a neat way of obtaining an excellent exchange rate.

My forthcoming trip to New York will now be so much better!;)

If you add onboard credit ahead of time do you have to have itactivated by the purser's desk when you board the ship or is it ready to go as soon as you receive your sign and sail card when you check in?

It should be ready to go when you use your s&s card.:p

It should be ready to go when you use your s&s card.:p

I'm keeping the email that states they have credited my account. I have seen some horror stories on here about them not crediting it and ppl not finding out until embarkation day. Thank goodness they had the emails to prove it!

I'm keeping the email that states they have credited my account. I have seen some horror stories on here about them not crediting it and ppl not finding out until embarkation day. Thank goodness they had the emails to prove it!

Yes, that should be always done. Always have proof of all purchases.

Archived