anyone need info on venice?

evgal/nj

we were there last oct. i'm not an expert but if i can answer any questions i'd be glad to.

• we flew luftstansia, phl to frankford & then on to venice. gate checked the wheelchair & it was brought to us at the end of each flight, we had a 4 hr lay over.
  • we took the blue bus from the airport to venice, stored our luggage in p roma, i packed what was needed for few days in carry on & went back next day[alone] & picked up 1 bag,very easy for me.
  • we rented a 2 bedroom apartment, with another couple pre cruise. dh has ms & can walk some.i was very anxious because of all the bridges & stairs. got great advice on europe board, even though the overwelming majority of responders said they didn't see any wheelchairs in venice, & would not attempt to go with one! lol
  • venice is trying to be more hc /wc friendly, got maps, keys for bridge lifts ect. from travel bureau.water taxies were great, the staff very helpful & even @ the height of travel time the people of venice were very nice & helpful.
  • there were times we had no choice but to carry the wc up a few steps over a brigde & dh walked. it would have been very difficult for me to do by myself, our friends helped. but even with all the the hassels we loved venice. next yr we're going back by ourselves pre cruise.
  • karen

• 4 months later...

We are thinking of taking TA NCL Gem NYC to Venice. Does the ship dock and where. How can someone who doesn't walk get from the ship in Venice to the Airport with a lot of stuff, baggage, etc? Help! Kathi

• 2 weeks later...

kathy,

we went the other way, lol flew from phl to venice. sooooo, i assume ncl has a bus to take you to p. roma after the cruise. from there you can catch the blue bus to the airport. i assume your traveling with a able bodied person who can handle the luggage? the blue bus is like a car rental bus with racks for luggage.

this trip to venice we're staying outside venice & have hired a limo to take us from quatro d altino, which is about 12 miles from venice to the ship for 60 euros but thats for 4 adults with all the bags a wheelchair & a scooter.

i would suggest to google airport limo's email them , [they got back to me quickly] & ask them for a price. there are lots of taxies in p.roma that i'm sure would also take you to the aiport but not sure if it would be cheaper, we took a taxie from p.roma to the ship instead of waiting for the cruise lines free bus & they charged 10e, we had walked to the cruise port the day before lol it couldn't have been more than 1 mile.

good luck

karen

We are thinking of taking TA NCL Gem NYC to Venice. Does the ship dock and where. How can someone who doesn't walk get from the ship in Venice to the Airport with a lot of stuff, baggage, etc? Help! Kathi

If you'll be going directly from the ship to the airport, and need assistance, I would suggest buying ship transfers.

Unless you can climb the steps up into a bus I would not buy the ship's transfers. We did a two night stay in Venice before flying home. If I was doing that again I would stay on the mainland. Venice has better accessibility than some other European cities and they provide you with maps and a key for the bridge lifts (the lifts didn't always work). Even if the lift didn't work the maps let us figure out how to get where we needed to go. The water buses were great with a flat roll-in area and reserved seating.

Archived