Can you take a train from Civitavecchia to Florence?

elpam

We want to go to Florence immediately after the cruise and spend a few days there. I think the cost by private car is prohibitive, so we would like to know if you can take a train either directly to Florence or to Pisa and then transfer? Is that complicated, and how long would it take? Thank you for any help you might provide.

There are two routes:

train to Pisa and change there for Florence, or

train to Rome Termini and change there for Florence.

Total transit time (station to station) will vary from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.

Note, please, that the site referenced above likely will not give you all the possible connections. I suggest you use the official site of the Italian national rail company: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

You will probably need to click "All Solutions" to get the Pisa options.

Thanks to those who answered my question. I checked the schedule and it is too early. I will play with it though and see if I can get something with a different date. It's good to know it is possible, and not too long a trip. I did get a price for a private car, and it would be over $700. Since I would rather not go back to Rome, we will probably go to Pisa and then transfer to Florence. Thank you.

The schedule will probably not change much so you can get a good idea by looking at dates in the next month or so. You should look at dates on the same day of the week as you plan to travel.

I would definitely change in Pisa rather than Rome. It has more interesting scenery and Pisa station is much smaller than Roma Termini.

If you stop at an Italian port before ending in Civitavecchia think about buying you tickets there. You can buy them at the train station or at most travel agents.

We want to go to Florence immediately after the cruise and spend a few days there. I think the cost by private car is prohibitive, so we would like to know if you can take a train either directly to Florence or to Pisa and then transfer? Is that complicated, and how long would it take? Thank you for any help you might provide.

We have done this on our last two Med trips (and will do it again on our next one). It is not difficult at all. Strongly suggest going via Pisa instead of Termini - much more relaxing though a tad bit longer. Pisa has lifts on its platforms so if you must change platforms with luggage it it much easier.

If you go to my Italian Trains site (see sig below); at the bottom of the page there is an email link. Send me a note and I'll answer any of your specific questions.

Archived