San Juan, 5pm to midnight....what to do ?

Ykgorbie

to...alreadypacked....we were staying the night before at the wyndham in old san juan close to the dock...we were in the lounge having a drink and a man accosted us about the navy bombings on an island off puerto rico....we asked for security...did not get it...he grabbed my hand and actually took a ring off my finger...by the time security got there he was gone and they just would not pull security tapes or anything else. they called the police but it was like they knew we were leaving on a cruise the next day so they were not going to bother with us. needless to say I have no love for San Juan..we are not young so I guess they thought we were Rich Americans..yeah ss & fixed income.. we save for our cruises....It was an inherited ring from my mother. I always wear costume rings now anytime we go out of the country or any trip for that matter..

I'm very sorry that happened to you. I was just wondering, as I have been to Old San Juan many many times (I was a flight attendant for 5 years and actually layed over in that very hotel quite a few times), but have not been there in the last 4 years. I know there is crime there (as anywhere--my husband is a police officer here in Ft Lauderdale, so believe me, I know)--just wondering what to expect.

to...alreadypacked....we were staying the night before at the wyndham in old san juan close to the dock...we were in the lounge having a drink and a man accosted us about the navy bombings on an island off puerto rico....we asked for security...did not get it...he grabbed my hand and actually took a ring off my finger...by the time security got there he was gone and they just would not pull security tapes or anything else. they called the police but it was like they knew we were leaving on a cruise the next day so they were not going to bother with us. needless to say I have no love for San Juan..we are not young so I guess they thought we were Rich Americans..yeah ss & fixed income.. we save for our cruises....It was an inherited ring from my mother. I always wear costume rings now anytime we go out of the country or any trip for that matter..

That is awful and makes me so upset. I'd be infuriated if that happened to my parents or grandparents on vacation.

We were in San Juan last December for the 'late shift'. It gets dark pretty quick, so see what you can in the daylight while it lasts. After dark, we roamed around looking at all of the Christmas displays. Some were pretty neat.

What we did not like was the large number of people trying to negotiate narrow sidewalks, many with no sense of direction. Reminded me of cattle being herded at the stockyard. But, there were several ships in port that night.

We had a couple of drinks after dark down by the pier, then headed back to the ship for dinner. we did go through the liquor store and picked up a couple of bottles to take on board. I put them in my backpack and no one said a thing. And, it DID go through the X ray. We also saw people carrying liquor on it bags,, but did not see any taken away. This was on the Splendor.

Old San Juan is safe.......and interesting as can be for shopping !

Walk left after getting off ship, about 3-5 blocks, cross street and walk up the hill.........you'll LOVE the walk past a zillion stores, lots to chose from as far as local collectables.

We WERE NOT hungry........but had a VERY strong recommendation from a close friend if Caribbean food is what you want to try:

PARROT CLUB.

Have fun.........it's a nice stop.

Go to the restaurant that is the birthplace of the pina colada (sorry don't remember the name) and have a pina colada and dinner. You won't be sorry.

DW and I just got off teh Victory in JSan Juan last Subnday the 23rd. Go to Barrachina's on Calle Forteleza I believe. The birthplace of the Pina Colada and let me tell you it is WONDRFUL :cool:

We did the bio bay excursion last year on the Miracle. We had some time before to do some shopping in town and had no problems. Kayaking a night on the bay with everything lighting up like millions of fireflies was AMAZING! The had the midnight mexican party on deck at sailaway.

We were just there in April and we really enjoyed this port. The DH and DS went to the bio/kayak excursion and had a wonderful, interesting, fun, time. Because I had hurt my back before the cruise I didn't join them. My SIL and I walked from the ship into the old part of San Juan and shopped at a group of tents where the locals were selling their crafts. I got some lovely handmade jewelry (not at all expensive), and a lovely handmade, straw and fabric handbag, which I love. Then we went to a local restaurant and had some authentic Puerto Rican food. It was delicious! On the way back to the ship we stopped at the liquor store on the dock and bought some soft drinks and liquor. We checked it through the x-ray machine and no one said a word about anything. We were on the Carnival Triumph. There is also a tour where you can ride Segways! Lots of my cruisemates did that and had lots of fun!. You should book that tour early though, because it fills up fast! We had a wonderful cruise, and hope you do too!:D I would love to go back to this port someday during the daytime so that I could hang out at the beach!:D

I agree with many of the other posters and suggest taking the Bioluminescent Bay Tour. It was absolutely beautiful but it was a lot of work, I would not recommend it for anyone under 10 because of the level of activity required.

Wondering what to do in San Juan when our time there is only from 5pm to midnight......anything special to see/do at night ??

We took the tour to see Juan Carlos, world famous guitarist. We loved it! :) The tour is not always offered because of his schedule. It is a CCL tour and we were in a group, just stay with your group and you should be fine. ;)

Luv's Crusin'

DW and I just got off teh Victory in JSan Juan last Subnday the 23rd. Go to Barrachina's on Calle Forteleza I believe. The birthplace of the Pina Colada and let me tell you it is WONDRFUL :cool:
The Caribe Hilton also claims the honor of "Birthplace of the Piña Colada". The drink apparently evolved over a number of years starting out as strained fresh pineapple juice and rum only.

But no matter where or how,it is a great drink when made properly with fresh ingredients (no bottled mixes):p

Charlie

When we were in SJ, the liquor store was located in the terminal literally just before you boarded the ship. You buy all you want and put it in your carryon and take it on board. After we boarded, we left the ship again and bought mixers at a local market then reboarded. That was several years ago but I have read that it is still the same.

Archived