Memphis, Egypt- do or don't?

Heelan

We're doing the Holy Land tour 10/25 on Azamara Journey, and planning an overnight stay in Cairo. The reviews I've read re: Memphis are all over the place--must do! don't bother! There's so much to see in Cairo. Is there a better use of our time than a visit to Memphis, or, in your opinion, is it a really must see. :confused: I'm so impressed with the knowledge/experience of all you cruisers. We're first-timers. I'm listening. Thanks.

We did the Giza Pyramids, Sakkara, and Memphis on a tour in May. Of the 3, Memphis is the smallest, the original city is now under the modern one so all that there is to see is a sculputre/statue garden. Yes, the sculptures and garden are interesting, but half an hour is plenty to see it. The 3 sites are all in close proximity. If you are on a private tour and have a choice, only you can decide if that is worth seeing. This was our 3rd trip to Cairo and environs, so I wanted to see Sakkara and Memphis which we hadn't done before. I just love Egypt and it's history.

I did a simililar as the one noted by capecodder2. We went to Memphis after doing the Pyramids, and Saqqarah. I thought is was really interesting, but it is not somewhere you'll spend half a day. The highlight of this small site is to see some sarcophagus, a small alabaster sphinx (all in the garden) and the colossal statue of Ramses (this one is inside a building).

I agree that 30 minutes is the most you'll spend there. So depending on your itinerary, I would include it if it's not a big detour.

You'll get a good idea of what you'll see there on this site:

http://www.touregypt.net/memphis.htm

MC

It all depends on what you want to see.

As noted, Giza Pyramids, Sakkara, and Memphis are usually grouped together on a day tour as they are in close proximity and do complement each other. To suggest not to bother with Memphis is cavalier in my mind.

Israel is an essential and is central to a Holy land tour - and we enjoyed it, but it is Egypt we return to for the richness of its history and the hospitality of its people. It depends though, on what interests you.

Bet you can't go just once - ;)

Smooth sailing to you...

Dont know about Memphis. But Cairo is a big dirty 3rd workld country, do not expect much. The Cairo Museum is excellent though. Pyramids are tiny, about 2 stories high.

Well, as I say, it depends what you are interested in.

The Great Pyramid is the only one of the seven wonders of the world that remains substantially intact. For over 3,800 years, it was the tallest man made structure in the world.

At construction, the Great Pyramid was originally 280 Egyptian cubits tall, 146.6 meters, (480.97 feet, or about 40 stories) but with erosion and the loss of its pyramidion, its current height is 138.8 m (455 feet).

As far as Cairo is concerned, we thought it was magic, but it depends what interests you. Upon arrival, we passed a cafe with men sitting outside sharing a hookah, drinking tea, with a Falcon tethered to a nearby tree branch. You don't see a lot of that around Manhattan. Isn't that what we all travel for? Well, again, depends what interests you?

Smooth sailing to you...

Archived