St Lucia, Jalousie Beach

Oceangoer2

:confused::confused: Just came off the "Ports" board researching excursions for St Lucia. Lots of suggestions, but after reading all, decided a water taxi to Jalousie Beach (near the Pitons) would be most suitable. Has anyone had good luck taking a water taxi there from the port? If so, what's the best way to book, or just hail the taxi after disembarking (cost, etc)?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

It has been a few years since I lived there, but I don't recall any water taxis that go from Castries to the southern part of the island. Your better bet would be to take a land taxi. That way you could make some stops for scenic views on the way, and possibly stop at Marigot Bay on the way down or back--very picturesque. You would see more of the island culture this way.

:confused::confused: Just came off the "Ports" board researching excursions for St Lucia. Lots of suggestions, but after reading all, decided a water taxi to Jalousie Beach (near the Pitons) would be most suitable. Has anyone had good luck taking a water taxi there from the port? If so, what's the best way to book, or just hail the taxi after disembarking (cost, etc)?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

We took a tour with Cosol. It is probably one of our favorite tours ever. We loved the island, got to see a little of everything and then he took us on a water taxi over to the Jalouise Beach for snorkeling. His rum punch is great and you get to stop and sample a lot of the island foods. book him and you won't regret it.

There's no 'just hail' a water taxi from Castries to Soufiere/Jalousie area. I'm not familiar with any scheduled services. St. Lucia is one of the poorer islands; its economy does not support water taxis loitering. From what I've seen, boat shuttling was incidental to guides serving prior booked groups.

St. Lucia is a lovely island though with many very well regarded guides whom are flexible and may be able to set up a private tour that includes water shuttle for you. Cosol has been mentioned; Herod Stanislas is first rate too. Herod arranged a private driver-guide tour for my family group that included all the highlights; it ended with a terrific private lunch in Soufriere overlooking the Pitons, then an hour or so at Anse des Pitons (Jaluosie Beach) from where we returned by boat. See http://www.herodsislandtours.com

Soufriere and the Pitons are a considerable drive from Castries. Large as they are, the Pitons are too far from Castries to be seen! You see a great deal of the island going south to see them though; its well worth it - but you need to plan accordingly.

There's no 'just hail' a water taxi from Castries to Soufiere/Jalousie area. I'm not familiar with any scheduled services. St. Lucia is one of the poorer islands; its economy does not support water taxis loitering. From what I've seen, boat shuttling was incidental to guides serving prior booked groups.

St. Lucia is a lovely island though with many very well regarded guides whom are flexible and may be able to set up a private tour that includes water shuttle for you. Cosol has been mentioned; Herod Stanislas is first rate too. Herod arranged a private driver-guide tour for my family group that included all the highlights; it ended with a terrific private lunch in Soufriere overlooking the Pitons, then an hour or so at Anse des Pitons (Jaluosie Beach) from where we returned by boat. See http://www.herodsislandtours.com

Soufriere and the Pitons are a considerable drive from Castries. Large as they are, the Pitons are too far from Castries to be seen! You see a great deal of the island going south to see them though; its well worth it - but you need to plan accordingly.

Thanks for all the suggestions. A few years ago, we took a cat to the Pitons; took quite a while on water, so I can imagine how long by land. We were disappointed that we only 'saw' them and didn't experience anything else. Your note (lunch and J Beach) sounds exactly what we'd like to do. Does he require a large group? In any event, I'll send him an email and see what he can do for us.

We did Cosol tour while in St. Lucia. It was our best excursion ever. It wasn't a tour through the cruise ship but trust me, you will really enjoyed the tour and Cosol makes sure you get back to the ship in plenty of time. Highly recommend Cosoltours.com

Thanks for all the suggestions. A few years ago, we took a cat to the Pitons; took quite a while on water, so I can imagine how long by land. We were disappointed that we only 'saw' them and didn't experience anything else. Your note (lunch and J Beach) sounds exactly what we'd like to do. Does he require a large group? In any event, I'll send him an email and see what he can do for us.

Herod is wonderful! You can reserve a tour for any size group, but I think he requires 10 for the "Land and Sea" tour that includes the water taxi return to Castries. We think he's the best!

Archived