Spice necklaces

Can'tstopcruising

Agree with Scubachick84....:p However......As a more short-term alternative do the following and they should be like new. Just did mine to make sure I didn't ruin yours.

1 - boil up kettle

2 - whilst it is boiling pour yourself a rum & coke

3 - pour hot water into a bowl and dip the necklaces into it x3 times. DO NOT let them soak! I just mean dip in until submerged and then take out right away. No idea why x3 times is the key but it's what they tell me.

4 - hang them in open window or doorway so they air dry and they should be good as new.

5. Get out photo album and reminisse whilst sipping rum and coke:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't buy one, so I can't say for sure, but since nobody else seems to be answering... They seem to sell them everywhere. I even saw girls in school uniforms who came down to the pier area after school to sell them. So I'm assuming they sell for relatively cheaply, probably somewhere in the $2-$4 range??

I didn't buy one, so I can't say for sure, but since nobody else seems to be answering... They seem to sell them everywhere. I even saw girls in school uniforms who came down to the pier area after school to sell them. So I'm assuming they sell for relatively cheaply, probably somewhere in the $2-$4 range??

Thanks Scubachick ! Just looking for an approx. idea to know if I could put them on my list for a couple people we always try to bring an inexpensive unusual gift home for from our cruises. Always nice to know what I'm looking for before we even leave.:)

They will start high and you should barter them down to about US$2-3? I think

Thanks IslandStar ! We always enjoy bartering on the islands. Have enjoyed some great times with those we've bartered with. We never try to see how "cheap" we can get something but how "fair" we can get it to both sides;) so its nice to know ahead of time what to expect. Planning to bring several spice necklaces home:)

I'll double check with my local sources ;) and let you know what the going rate should be. Mine have had their rejuvination bath recently and smell great but they don't look so pretty any more now they've dried out. I just love the colour of the red mace on the brown nutmegs - gorgeous. Time to get some more methinks.

I'll double check with my local sources ;) and let you know what the going rate should be. Mine have had their rejuvination bath recently and smell great but they don't look so pretty any more now they've dried out. I just love the colour of the red mace on the brown nutmegs - gorgeous. Time to get some more methinks.

Thanks again IslandStar !:) When you're checking with your Local Sources;) could you check out what a half pound of ground nutmeg or ginger or cinnamon is going for now a days? Can you tell we're really looking forward to our visit to Granada in Feb:D

Still working on the info for the spices as saw the request a bit late. Scuba Chick and I have underestimated a tad on the necklaces. To be honest it's a while since I bought so I was way out with my recollection of what I paid.

My local pals tell me the necklace vendors will sell to the cruise ships at anything up to US$20 :rolleyes: as the starting price. To give you an idea they as locals actually will pay EC$20 for the necklaces so about US$7.50 so I would say if you can get them for US$10 without offending anybody that would be a great bargain.

Again bear in mind times are hard on the island and there is no social security so if they don't get money they don't eat. Not to say cruisers should be taken advantage of - so US$7-10 is a hard price for them to accept but fair.

Still working on the info for the spices as saw the request a bit late. Scuba Chick and I have underestimated a tad on the necklaces. To be honest it's a while since I bought so I was way out with my recollection of what I paid.

My local pals tell me the necklace vendors will sell to the cruise ships at anything up to US$20 :rolleyes: as the starting price. To give you an idea they as locals actually will pay EC$20 for the necklaces so about US$7.50 so I would say if you can get them for US$10 without offending anybody that would be a great bargain.

Again bear in mind times are hard on the island and there is no social security so if they don't get money they don't eat. Not to say cruisers should be taken advantage of - so US$7-10 is a hard price for them to accept but fair.

Appreciate the update on the current prices for the necklaces. We may like a bargain, but when bartering in many islands/countries we always keep in mind that for many we are bartering with the price may very well make a great deal of difference in how they can take care of themselves and their families which will always be far more important then us getting a bargain;):) As I plan to purchase several necklaces and often would purchase from different vendors to spread the wealth around but since you've been kind enough to share some info with me I may decide this time if I find a vendor willing to barter a bit lower I may just purchase all from one so they at least can reap more benefit from my purchase. We'll see how it goes when we are there in person.

Look forward to hearing from you again if you should find out some approx prices on the spices. THANKS for all your help:)

Well said Ed. Just to give the readers an idea the average monthly wage is about US300. However this is for those with a full-time job. There is a high rate of unemployment (like a lot of places at present) but you will find if you get the chance to talk to them most will hold down 2-3 or more low paying jobs to make up to this amount. And yet they're still the most upbeat, genuine and friendliest people in the Caribbean as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to all for sharing their insights of the people of Grenada. I enjoy reading all that you care to share. The disadvantage to cruising is in the fact that one has such a short time to spend enjoying and learning about the ports the day that one visits a new port. On the other hand we've always found that if we take the time to learn more about the country and its people before hand it makes for a much more enjoyable and wonderful time when we are able to visit, even for a short time. :)

Edited by grandmato4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You really rock! I'm also interested in hearing some sample "fair" prices for spices, especially nutmeg, mace, and cinnamon.

Our ship is in St. George's on December 15, a Tuesday. Only one other ship in dock, whew.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home from a 2 week itinerary that included Grenada. I bought pretty much everything from "Dot's" shop. Great selection and very reasonable prices. I also bought several spice necklaces for $2US each. I never barter. Either I can afford the price they quote me or I can't. In this case, I thought the necklaces were such a unique gift for friends back home that I bought several.

We just got home from a 2 week itinerary that included Grenada. I bought pretty much everything from "Dot's" shop. Great selection and very reasonable prices. I also bought several spice necklaces for $2US each. I never barter. Either I can afford the price they quote me or I can't. In this case, I thought the necklaces were such a unique gift for friends back home that I bought several.

Where is Dot's shop? I paid cute kids $5 for each necklace many years ago!

Wow you got a real bargain!! And you are so right they are unique and make a great gift. They do vary in price and in quality (in terms of number of different spices, colour of seeds and beans etc) so be prepared not to be as lucky to find all of them at US$2 :)

I just paid $5.00 for two spice necklaces. We were on Mandoos tour and bought them when we made a stop. I believe you can get your spices cheaper away from the port. I got 3 small baskets with 6 spices in each for $9.00. You could give them away to 3 different people. I am keeping them for myself. :) Already had bought souvenirs for everyone before we got there.

I,too have just returned from our cruise. While in Grenada I bought four necklaces from various people. Gladly paid $5 each for them. I could have got three for $10 but wanted to share the purchases around. BEWARE though!!! the ones I bought in the country developed mold from improper storage while the ones bought at the terminal did not. I quickly gave them a warm rinse, air dried them and did not put them back in an airtight bag. They arrived home in good shape. I suspect the problem was a freshly picked nutmeg I added to the bag. So nice to find a souvenir actually made on the island instead of something out of a container from China.:rolleyes:

Good point and excellent reminder!! I've told the vendors this before.....One of the things they should tell you is to take them out of the small plastic bag as soon as you get back on board.

Essentially they put them in a bag for you for ease of carrying but it backfires if you keep them in the bag for a few days. Remember anything organic will slowly start to produce gasses if kept enclosed so let them out hang them in your room on board and every day will be like you're ont he Spice Isle;)