Spice necklaces

Can'tstopcruising

Good point and excellent reminder!! I've told the vendors this before.....One of the things they should tell you is to take them out of the small plastic bag as soon as you get back on board.

Essentially they put them in a bag for you for ease of carrying but it backfires if you keep them in the bag for a few days. Remember anything organic will slowly start to produce gasses if kept enclosed so let them out hang them in your room on board and every day will be like you're ont he Spice Isle;)

Thanks for that tip as I could have easily not given it a thought and just left them in the bag until we returned home.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a dozen one trip to Grenada and keep them in lingerie drawers, hanging in closets, bathroom, anywhere there may not be as much airflow as you'd like and things can get stale or musty. A little spice helps. I refresh them every so often with the dip in boiling water and they're almost like new. They've worked for years! I'll be back on Grenada in February and probably will buy a few more as I have some storage closets I wouldn't mind spicing up, too.

I found this thread on CC to help you find Dot's as I was interested as well:

Ok ... here is what I have found out. I was given the following site ..

http://mypages.spiceisle.com/dots/

... which tells a little bit about Dots Plaza.

To get there,- Go to the right from the Cruise Ship Port along Bruce Street through the 'Sendal Tunnel'. Once thru the tunnel go right thru the parking lot and then turn left at the harbour. This should be the area called 'the CARENAGE' where shopping & restaurants are located. Apparently Dots is located below the Nutmeg Restaurant which Martha Stewart has talked (or written) about. (I don't know anything about this Martha Stewart thing, just read it!)

If we get lost, then it will be another travel adventure!!! ... LOL

I was just in Genada and spice necklaces are found everywhere. Some are more "full" than others, so make sure you see what you're buying. And make sure to air the necklaces for a few days back on board so they won't get moldy! In the process, they'll make your cabin smell wonderful! I paid $10 for 3 very full necklaces. I was going to give them away as gifts but decided I love their scent too much and have hung them in my kitchen instead!

We are just back from an early Dec. cruise to Grenada. Bought a bunch of spice necklaces, look and smell before you buy. Some are a little different and include small white shells as spacer beads. I paid $2.50 each both in the market by the pier and on the street. One thing in the market where I bought some of my necklaces was that after I said I wanted two of them, the woman at the stall reached below and tried to give me two that were not hanging. After I took them before I paid I smelled them and they had no scent, unlike the hanging ones. So I told her I wanted the other ones, and she begrudgingly gave me those. So be careful not to get old ones. One other thing-do NOT leave the necklaces in the plastic bags they all put them in. Since Grenada was out last port, I just packed them in my suitcase. Three days later when I got home, they were all moldy :(. Two that I had separate in a paper bag were fine. So keep them out of plastic and let them continue to be in the air until the last minute. And bring a paper bag to put them in to protect your clothes in your suitcase.

I am going back in April and will buy more. They sure do smell great!

We went to Dot's for some other things, the prices there are a little higher than the market, but it is like a regular store-no bargaining. Good selection of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Summit cruise yesterday. I paid 3/$10 at the spice market at Grand Anse Beach. There was a woman selling them near the cruise ship (on the way to/from the water taxi) for $2. They all looked identical in quality.

• 2 years later...

I am attaching this verbiage to the spice necklaces I'll be putting in Christmas stockings this year:

Fragrant Spice Necklaces “to Hang in De Kitchen”

From the Spice Island, Grenada.

Made by the “spice ladies” of fresh nutmeg & mace, saffron, ginger, cinnamon and clove. These are great to hang in the kitchen, bathroom or closet. Keep them in lingerie drawers or anywhere you’d like the smell of fragrant spices. Refresh them once the scent goes away.

To refresh: pour boiling water in a bowl, submerge the necklace in the boiling water and take out right away. Do this three (3) three times. No idea why three times, but that’s what the “spice ladies” say. Hang in an open window or doorway to air dry. Do not store in plastic.

Consolidated the info I found on the necklaces - feel free to use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn't buy one this year (I did last year but tossed it, not realizing it could be brought back to life!) and man am I kicking myself! Wish I could get one, they smell amazing!

~Amanda

• 2 years later...