We're sailing the Crown 12/26/09 are we stopping at Roatan???

Ohio-C-Luver

Roatan or not? All the excursions for the ports we are going to are listed, but none for Roatan? What's UP? Has there been problems lately, or have we been rerouted to somewhere else? We have 117 days till we sail......... :confused:

Just so you can be totally informed, I will break down this response to 2 parts: the advisory, and reports from People there.

First, here is the advisory:

Travel Advisory: Political Unrest

From the U.S. Embassy: "Due to the current unstable political and security situation, the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa recommends American citizens defer all non-essential travel to Honduras until further notice.

"The Embassy advises American citizens residing in and visiting Honduras to restrict road travel to within city limits when possible and to be aware of possible road blocks that might affect mobility around the country. The government of Honduras has lifted the curfew around the country, including near the border with Nicaragua. The Embassy continues to monitor this situation closely and strongly recommends American citizens monitor local TV and radio each evening in case a curfew is again imposed."

U.S. Embassy Announcements

Now,. Here is a link to Trip advisor concerning this discussion: there are 2 of them:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k3050684-Political_Unrest_in_Honduras_does_that_effect_Roatan-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k3036317-Current_political_situation-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

I think we are the first ship....The Crown the week of November 7....scheduled to visit Roatan and we have yet to receive and excursion information on the island. I also read the state departments warning and thought that maybe Princess is rethinking about taking the ships there.

I think we are the first ship....The Crown the week of November 7....scheduled to visit Roatan and we have yet to receive and excursion information on the island. I also read the state departments warning and thought that maybe Princess is rethinking about taking the ships there.

Thanks all for your responses. I realize there is "political unrest" in Honduras/Roatan, but so far our itinerary remains unchanged, but it doesn't know any excursions for Roatan. All our other ports we are able to book excursions on. Hmmm guess we'll just have to wait, just wondered if anyone else had inquired about this and if they received an answer!

I am actually surprised excursions are already available for a cruise the end of December. I would keep checking on those. Only time our excursions for a cruise opened up close to the 120 day mark (never before that time though), those we booked disappeared until closer to final payment when we had to rebook them.

I am actually surprised excursions are already available for a cruise the end of December. I would keep checking on those. Only time our excursions for a cruise opened up close to the 120 day mark (never before that time though), those we booked disappeared until closer to final payment when we had to rebook them.

It is less than 120 days to our cruise. Like I said all the other excursions are open now, except Roatan' We sail in 117 days! Sure plenty enough time to schedule an excursion if we knew we were stopping there. Thanks guess we'll just check with the TA and see if they know anything.. I was just hoping someone had an inkling of what Princess might do and maybe if they changed the itinerary for the November cruises. Thanks Anyway

Looks like Carnival Liberty and Carnival Valor are docking there. I see reviews of the port and they look recent.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/ports/roatan-cruises/

I just checked out these reviews and can't wait to go there. I'm going to call Princess on Monday to find our why the excursions aren't avaiable yet.

I just checked out these reviews and can't wait to go there. I'm going to call Princess on Monday to find our why the excursions aren't avaiable yet.

Try this site too.

I use this sometimes for reference. It does give you some idea of what is offered outside of princess excursions.

www.shoretrips.com

While there are some tours listed on the Princess site for our November 14 Crown cruise, none (not even Princess Cay) are open for booking yet. This is just my opinion, but I think we will go to Roatan. The late opening of the excursions is something we have experienced before with Princess and I will just keep checking the personalizer until they show up. We have already made our arrangements for Roatan using Victor Bodden for an idependent tour.

We are going on November 14th. I called Princess and the rep I talked to said she didn't see any changes to the port schedule. She thought perhaps Princess had not finished making contracts with the local tour vendors. I hope this is the case because we really want to go. I think the travel advisory if for mainland Honduras more than the island of Roatan,

I'm 90 days out on the Crown (11/28 sailing), same itinerary, and no excursions available for me either.

Some friends of mine who are knowledgeable on the situation said that even those causing the unrest recognize the money that tourism on Roatan brings in, particularly cruise ships, so they leave it be. I am optimistic, but I take it with a grain of salt for sure!

I will be curious to see what happens. I'm watching the State department web site...

We are on the 11/7 cruise and still nothing on the shore excursions. One of the folks on our Roll Call called Princess who said they were still working on the contracts with the tour operators. This will be the first year that Princess routinely calls on Roatan, so I suspect they are trying to get everything lined up.

I finally called Princess and checked. I guess when I looked up excursions I was not in "my personalizer" just general. When I checked today, no excursions were available. Princess checked and for our cruise in Dec. she said that she was told it would be at least two more weeks before they showed up! :(

I just confirmed with Victor Bodden for our tour in Roatan, he gets great reviews-has anyone used him before???? ;)

Archived