Restaurant Suggestions near Campo de Fiori

readytocruise2009

You are very near the old Jewish Ghetto area, which has some excellent traditional-style Roman restaurants.

I can highly recommend Piperno:

http://www.ristorantepiperno.com/

Unfortunately, their website has limited info in English, but you can get an idea. If you go, be sure to have the fried artichokes; they are delicious and very traditional for Romans.

DaGigetto (Via del Portico d'Ottavia 21-22) another excellent choice in the Jewish Ghetto area. Traditional Roman menu. Roman style is not strong on seafood but leans more toward pasta, meats and some organ meats (not my taste). In season there are fried zucchini flowers and various artichoke dishes. The restaurants right in the Campo dei Fiori are fine for a meal if you are staying in the area and don't feel like walking any distance. Campo dei Fiori better serves as morning market stop or afternoon people watching stop in one of the cafes.

In June, post-cruise, we had three dinners near Campo di'Fiori and one in the Jewish Ghetto a short walk away. (Our fifth dinner was further afield, in the lively restuarant area north of the Pantheon.)

Piperno, as described above by cruisemom42, was our splurge meal during our five-night visit. It truly was fantastic, particularly the fried artichoke appetizer, which I agree is a must. Good food, nice location, great service, a lovely evening. Pricey.

Of the other three meals we ate near Campo di'Fiori, my next favorite was Da Sergio, on quiet Vicolo delle Grotto, lovely service, dined outside on red-checkered tablecloths, a very nice experience. Reasonable.

Hostaria Costanza, in part of the ruins of Pompey's theater (where Julius Caesar was assassinated because the Senate building on the forum was under repair at the time), also was a nice meal with traditionally garbed older waiters and good service. We ate indoors because it was much cooler, and many Romans showed up the second shift. (Many tourists eat at 7:30 PM and the Romans show up at 9 or 9:30 PM). Reasonable.

We did not like our meal right on Campo di'Fiori, at Restaurante Carbonara, a lovely location. We had eaten well and happily there four years ago, but both the food and service this time were considerably poorer. Great location, nice people-watching, but take your Euros elsewhere for better food and service.

BTW, I posted my more detailed reviews in the Rome restaurants section of sister website tripadvisor.

This is a great area of Rome to stay in because the Largo Argentina transportation hub can get you anywhere in Rome very fast. We loved our June stay.

Have a great trip!

Archived