Debarkation- When do I HAVE to be off?

NWgal65

Hi...We arrive in our final destination port at 9:00 a.m.(Long Beach off of the Splendor,) according to the itinerary. I couldn't book the morning flight out, so we are not flying out until 5:30 p.m. I believe we will debark with our luggage. Instead of waiting in line to get off with the masses, i was thinking we would take our time, have a nice breakfast. I've read on other threads that embarkation starts around 1 roughly. I want to be courteous...when should I plan on heading off ship...9 with everyone else, 10?, ??

Thanks in advance!

Even if I have a later flight I try to get off early as I know if everyone gets off earlier it makes it easier for the crew, the check-in agents and guests waiting to board. When I am looking forward to getting on the ship I hope to get on as early as possible so I try to do the same for the next lucky cruisers.You should look into an excursion or renting a car for the day and spending some time around locally. Get off early, hit a beach or something and make the time worth while.

You can wait for the final announcement that everyone should be heading off the ship. That time varies for a lot of reasons. There is not a lot to do on the ship that morning, after breakfast, so you may as well go as soon as the crowd dies down.

When we have a late flight out, we like to get off fairly early, take a cab or shuttle to the airport, and pick up our rental car. Then we have a day at leisure and can return to the airport for the flight at the best time.

I have the same thoughts as you, NWgal, about staying on until the last possible moment. That being said, I am of the same mind as Manymore, in that I tend to be one of the first persons at the port, so getting on board as early as I can is my hope. On my last cruise, the Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans, there were persons still debarking as I was embarking. Was kind of fun to think I was getting on while others were still getting off.

I am not quite clear on your way you want to debark. You will need to leave your bags out the night before and that will allow you to debark at the latest possible time. Anyone who wants to take their own bags off will be off the ship first. They are clear that anyone wanting to take their own bags off are to be off first cuz the last two ships I was on they had self assist down on Zero Deck and you walked off the gangway onto the pier vs the Lobby Deck gangway.

Hi...We arrive in our final destination port at 9:00 a.m.(Long Beach off of the Splendor,) according to the itinerary. I couldn't book the morning flight out, so we are not flying out until 5:30 p.m. I believe we will debark with our luggage. Instead of waiting in line to get off with the masses, i was thinking we would take our time, have a nice breakfast. I've read on other threads that embarkation starts around 1 roughly. I want to be courteous...when should I plan on heading off ship...9 with everyone else, 10?, ??

Thanks in advance!

DW and I usually sit around the Lido deck till the lines aren't so long. we are usually off about 10 or 10:30

Just off the Destiny last Monday. We were up on Lido hanging out and at 9:30 one of the cruise director's staff came out and clearly announced to all it was time to go. Its so funny, everyone is so nice and friendly until they want you off! Don't blame them though - we were also the ones anxiously waiting to get on!

Misguidedangel--thanks for pointing that out. I was planning to self assist and did not think it mattered if we were one of the first ones off or not. I will re-evaluate our plan. Like a couple of others who replied, I was just going to hang out a bit until the lines on the boat were not so bad.

I am not quite clear on your way you want to debark. You will need to leave your bags out the night before and that will allow you to debark at the latest possible time. Anyone who wants to take their own bags off will be off the ship first. They are clear that anyone wanting to take their own bags off are to be off first cuz the last two ships I was on they had self assist down on Zero Deck and you walked off the gangway onto the pier vs the Lobby Deck gangway.

In Long Beach everybody goes down the same gangway, straight to the second floor of the Dome then down the escalator to the customs area. Even if doing self-assist you could be the last off the ship.

Like Essie'smom suggests check out the Queen Mary. IMHO the four hours trying to find something to do in LA is a bit PITA.

Self assist varies by ship and port, not cruise line so check if you want to do that. I've done it both ways. First off and anytime you want.

A couple of years ago DH and I cruised Celebrity Mercury from Seattle. We had an afternoon flight and figured it was more pleasant to relax on board the ship than the airport so we wanted to be among the last to disembark.

We picked a lounge and settled in with our books. I don't remember the exact time, but, we hadn't heard any announcements for an extended period of time. DH said he would check status and left. When he found someone they asked "How did you get ON so early?"

Needless to say, we were the last to leave, but, we didn't have any problem finding our luggage.

NWgal65, We also have a 5:30 flight out of Long Beach. You wouldn't happen to be sailing on November 22nd would you? I think we'll put our bags out the night before and not rush off.

We'll have a bunch of luggage to deal with and really don't want to rent a car, but I guess we might be stuck having to do that.

Archived