Best Medication for sea sickness

newtravelers

There is no best medication because some work better for some people than others.

We use Bonine. The key there is to take it before you feel sick because if you take it afterwards it can make you very sleepy. It is sold over the counter.

Some people get a patch which is prescribed by a doctor. For some works well but some people don't like the side effects which can include dryness in the mouth.

Still some people take ginger from pills to soda to actual ginger.

Some people where sea bands. Works for some. But not for everyone.

Finally, if you are concerned consider getting a cabin on a lower deck and one that is mid ship.

Keith

It's best to try the over the counter medications yourself and see what works for you.

Bonine (which is really meclizine and it's the same drug as in Less Drowsy Dramamine) is available at most drug stores. It makes me super sleepy, but works like a charm for many others. YOu may want to try it at home - take 1/2 or 1 pill before bed one night and see how you feel the next afternoon. If it works for you, great!

If it doesn't work for you and you know that you get motion sickness (i.e. on a small boat, in a car, on amusement park rides), then you can try things like ginger or sea bands, or talk to your doctor about prescription options.

Personally I prefer Dramamine. You might also try Sea Bands that go around your wrists. My daughter is pregnant and could not take any medication so she kept the bands on, and they worked well. In addition, on one day when it was choppy and she felt motion sickness coming on, my wife gave her a green apple to eat. They say that green apples work great. It did, and the rest of the cruise she kept a green apple with her just in case.

Also a product that has had rave reviews is MotionEaze. I purchased it, and tried it and so did others, and no one experienced motion sickness after applying the drops behind their ears!! I provided the link below. Good Luck, Cruising is great! ;)

http://www.motioneazeworks.com/

When we went on an Alaska cruise last May my husband woke up one morning with bad case of sea sickness, alot of ppl that day felt that way too. It was a very rough sea day. He laid in bed most of the morning and then got up for a bit, went for a walk down to the shop and we bought the last pair of wrist bands. Within half an hour of putting those bands on his wrists he felt 100%.

We will be taking those wrist bands with us when we cruise in December just in case..

Hello,

Which medication works best for preventing sea sickness?

Thanks

The best answer is to ask your physician. No one but you knows your health history. Some of the meds others have posted can be dangerous for some people depending on your health and what medications you already take. Talk to your doctor and see what he recommends.

But if you have no health issues and take absolutely no medication, even supplements, just about anything works for most people. Bonine, Dramamine, ginger capsules, Trans-derm patch and wrist bands are the most popular.

i tried the patch...that was awful for me and others in our party...when we took them off we felt better....i dont like the pills--get the drowsy feelin even with the non....so i found GINGER CAPs and i have been using them on the last 5 cruises and much better and NO SIDE EFFECTs...you start taking a few a day or two before you cruise and then during...we take 2 every meal and really have had little or no probs with the MOTION of the OCEAN~~~~

you have TRY and see what WORKs for YOU

Take some single-use alcohol swabs with you as well. If motion-sickness catches you by surprise, a little whiff of the alcohol swab will settle your stomach immediately and give some respite while waiting for the regular medication to kick in.

I have found that what works best for me is Marezine. It's difficult to find in drug stores but you can find it onlline. It doesn't make me sleepy and it WORKS beautifully!

Second best is Bonine. I believe it's similar to Marezine in make-up and it is much more available in stores.

Last on my list would be the non-drowsy Dramamine. Although it worked I guess, I could not stay awake! Will not use this again.

I have given Marezine to my kids when traveling on mountain roads on the way to camping and they never got sick. I take it myself when I'm a passenger on any long car trips.

I get motion sickness very easily (in cars, boats, etc.) for my last cruise I was worried and my Dr. prescribed the patch for me. I ended up not using it because of the possible side effects after getting off the ship (feeling like you're still on the boat, etc.). I used a combination of meclizine, essential ginger and peppermint oil. The ginger oil I'd put a bit below my nose and peppermint oil I put a drop in my water (helps to settle stomach). I also ate a lot of ginger chews (not sure where you live but I got mine at Trader Joe's). It actually all worked...I hope you find a good combo for you and have a great trip!

I swear by biobands! You can buy them at your local drug store (CVS/Rite Aid). My mom used the ear patch and was fine.

We get seasick on ferryboats (I will never go on the Cape May ferry again :o) but so far on cruise ships we are good.

I’ve heard soft drinks Coke/Pepsi and Ginger Ale help prevent feelings of queasiness and mild seasickness.

Archived