How much is beer on Carnivial? Do you HAVE to tip 15%??

stephic411

I was at the pursers desk one time and a woman next to me was having them remove each and every one of the drink tips off of her card....wouldn't be worth my time to do that....but they were taking them off for her.

That was my point, you can do it! What a waste of time though, while on vacation.

Buy the drink coupons ahead of time ... they might not be the best bargin if used on beer, but at least you will not see the tip added or have anything automatically added to your S & S bill.

They do help control excessive booze spending.

Maybe they did take out 15% and I just don't remember and I was just also tipping extra. Who knows ha. I am going to tip no matter what I just don't like all the automatic stuff coming out of the account.

No different than going to a restuarant and having the tip added to parties of 8 or more.

You can have guest services remove 15% tip if you don't want to pay it, or feel you can't afford it. Posters here will bash for suggesting you do that. It's your money.

No you can't. The policy is in writing in all Carnival information...you know upfront about it and how much it is. Your choice, if you don't want to pay it, is not put a deposit or final payment on a cruise.

Once you have, you are bound by the terms and conditions of the contract....just like they are.

Auto tips is a totally different item.

They shouldn't be removed either.

This is by far the oddest thread I have seen in a while. They add the tip, big deal. You do not have to figure it out, they do it for you. Why would anyone complain about someone doing them a service and not wanting to leave the tip on; but put it on themselves? Am I missing something here? Sounds like someone may want to stiff their server.

No you can't. The policy is in writing in all Carnival information...you know upfront about it and how much it is. Your choice' date=' if you don't want to pay it, is not put a deposit or final payment on a cruise.

Once you have, you are bound by the terms and conditions of the contract....just like they are.

They shouldn't be removed either.[/quote']

Would that policy be: "At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time."

I do not believe the OP should be adjusting gratuities downward, but to imply she can't is incorrect.

I've read quite a few comments from cruisers on Carnival who sensed the staff onboard appeared unhappy and surly. Now I am beginning to see why! These folks live off of tips. It's like going to a restaurant. If you can't afford to tip, then don't go. I mean this not for the original poster, but for anyone who would remove a tip from the bill unless there was a darn good reason. I read yesterday a review of the Sensation yesterday on the Cruisemates site and he said they had gone to the pursor's desk and removed the prepaid gratuties for everyone and everything because he couldn't afford to pay it! I was appalled! If a lot of this is going on, then no one the staff is unhappy and surly. Geez...

It was just a question.. not a post to make people go nuts. I don't think some people saw that I changed my mind? I had just never rememberd that being on the other cruises I have been on..so I was a little confused. It is obvious now though that doing the automatic tip is the easiest.

I was once out on deck, and a bar waiter came over to deliver a drink to a couple near me. I heard them ask about the line for "additional tip" and the waiter explained that the 15% automatically added was for the bartender, and the "additional amount" was for him. I do not believe that is how it actually works, but I'm sure his pitch was effective in getting more money out of people.

I got a fountain soda card this past week. There was a 15% on there and I didn't really care since I wasn't going to be tipping each time they gave me a coke.

I got my final bill and they took it off for some reason. After further investigation tonight, it appears they are not supposed to charge a tip. I actually reasoned it was better to just pay it up front.

By the way, having the soda card actually led to me drinking less alcohol (which is a good thing to be honest.) THe card paid for itself by day 4.

I think a couple of people got the wrong idea.. im still wanting to tip I just don't like the auto 15%.. it just makes me uncomfortable. After thinking about it though I am probably going to to it automatically but I still don't really like it.

Just to let you know. The idea behing the autotip is kind of simple in thought. There are bartenders that work in nontipping areas during a cruise. They do the service bars behind the scenes. All bartenders get moved around every two weeks. This just made it so all bartenders are paid equally every week because all the tips are pooled.

I always tip the good bartenders and waitstaff extra for th service. Here at home I give 20% and more if someone is good and takes care of me.....

To be honest I am not a big fan of the autotip either but, it gets te tips split honestly.

Even years ago they were pooled between areas people worked and maybe there were just to many doing the old in the pocket shuffle instead of putting the money in the jar.....;)

For $575 with grat your getting a frosty 16 ounce Bud. I dont think its a bad price at all. Its way better then those watered down "DOD" fruit drinks they always push on people.

Or go to Margaritaville in Grand Turk....$8.00 for a beer.....:eek::eek:

No you can't. The policy is in writing in all Carnival information...you know upfront about it and how much it is. Your choice' date=' if you don't want to pay it, is not put a deposit or final payment on a cruise.

They shouldn't be removed either.[/quote']Aww Gma 250+ cruises and you dont know any tip can be removed! No Tips Are Mandatory, drinks included.

Aww Gma 250+ cruises and you dont know any tip can be removed! No Tips Are Mandatory, drinks included.

I just went and looked at Bookccl.com. You are correct. The tip for bar service may be adjusted according to service.....;)

Ya so I sound like a cheap skate I know! I am in my 20's though so cut me some slack!..ha. I was just wondering how much a beer was on Carnivial because it has been about 3 years since I have been and I am curious. Also.. I never remember this 15% being taken out automatically for every bar bill..can you make it so they take out nothing? I would always just write in my own tip when I went before with my sail and sign card. Thanks!

If you want a beer bargain order the Fosters it is $6.75 but it's something like 26 ounces and it's not too bad. Enjoy your cruise!

Do you cruise as much as you post? You would know beer is not $3 bucks, has not been for a long long time.

When you have upwards of 25,000 posts in under 3 years, it is your obligation to post as if every single thread is directed to your personal expert response. It really doesn't matter if you have any true knowledge or experience to provide on the question being asked.

Howard

Buy the drink coupons ahead of time ... they might not be the best bargin if used on beer,

They do help control excessive booze spending.

We get the drink coupons ahead of time. We're not big alcohol drinkers and having them is an easy way to have a few drinks prepaid - that the tips are already included, and if the prices go up between the time we book/buy the coupons and sail we don't care.

but at least you will not see the tip added or have anything automatically added to your S & S bill.

Well, I've heard that if you order a drink that cost above the $5.75 limit (or whatever it is for a drink on the coupon) they will ask for your signature to add the difference to your S & S. Not sure if they then (try to) add a tip at that point.

On our cruise, I always went to the same bartender and gave him the coupons as he made great drinks, made great suggestions of what to try, and was very personable. At the end of the cruise, when I gave him a tip for the entire week, he was refusing since I had used the coupons all week. I had to insist he take it.

Howard

Aww Gma 250+ cruises and you dont know any tip can be removed! No Tips Are Mandatory, drinks included.

Maybe the reason she doesnt know is that she is a great person and never inquired about removing a tip.

It was just a question.. not a post to make people go nuts. I don't think some people saw that I changed my mind? I had just never rememberd that being on the other cruises I have been on..so I was a little confused. It is obvious now though that doing the automatic tip is the easiest.

Sadly, that's how it gets here quite often. But then again, I guess it is an open forum where folks are free to voice their opinion. I'm glad to see you changed your mind; it really is a convenient way to tip, and probably saves us money. And I've never had a server yet on Carnival who didn't deserve at least that 15%. We do tip a bit extra when warrented, too. Cheers!

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have already said this... but why wouldn't you tip 15%?!?!?!???? Geez IMO 15% is CHEAP. When you go to restaurants or bars do you always tip so cheaply? I'm in my twenties, too, and I can't imagine not tipping the people who take care of me. Obviously you've never been a waitress or bartender. It's not a fun or glorious job but the tips are well deserved. Can't afford to tip? Don't drink.

Archived