pacific dawn late leaving sydney

nzmatt

Nice photo Matt, that should be in a brochure. :D

I've been out looking at cameras today I quite like the Panasonic TZ7. Worth buying just before we go away so I can get the GST back.;)

Jillybean:)

that seems to be like my old Olympus before i dropped it.....have to get a nice new one maybe next year i can upgrade.i brought the lumix just recently its good...have to learn to use it correctly.

matt

Hi everyone,

we disembarked Pacific Dawn yesterday and it is true there was an outbreak of Nurovirus on board.

On the third last day we noticed that the buffet was not letting anyone serve themselves breakfast and the queues were very long. We overheard someone say there were 200 people on quarantine with Gastro.

Then at about 11 am we had an announcement over the PA from the ship's doctor who confirmed the Gastro outbreak (but did not say how many people were quarantined) He said that the ship was implementing code red sanitation procedures and asked everyone to co-operate and be extra vigiant with hand washing to protect themselves.

The procedures we noticed were- no more helping yourself to food or coffee at all (which meant long lines but I think people understood)

-no more serviettes put on the tables for drinks as apparently that can carry germs.

-the staff no longer touched our cruise cards but just looked at our name and number when we ordered drinks.

-the captain also told us of the outbreak at his lunchtime address over the PA system.

-we received a comprehensive letter in our cabin explaining the outbreak and how we could best protect ourselves.

-galley tour was cancelled so they did the morning show as a tour of the galley with the head chef and Zoltina-J instead which was prpbably better for me since I hate crowds anyway!:)

We felt The Dawn's Staff handled the outbreak very impressively. On the last day the Captain announced that the numbers of people affected by Gastro had now significantly reduced, so it sounds like their procedures had proven effective to prevent the spread of the disease.

There were longer than usual lines at the buffet and waiting to get into the Palm Court dining room (more people choosing this option than normal)

but overall it was fine and I think most passengers understood and were supportive.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for keeping us updated Sunbaker :)

The galley tour on the morning show sounded like a good idea. Would be a nice idea too if they showed this in the Show Lounge as well for those who don't want to do the galley tour but would still like to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Glad to hear that P&O took measures to get the Norovirus under control, and that you still had a great cruise. Look forward to a review if you write one :)

hi guys, we just came off the 17th august cruise too, everything sunbaker said is absolutely correct, it took a bit longer than usuual to get throught the buffet due to everything having to be served to you. but we felt it was all handled well by p&o and their staff...

sunbaker did you go to the meet and greet?? we got caught up elsewhere between the kids and the art auction!

Excellent shots Matt.

Thanks for sharing.

Brossy,

I dont know if this will help with your querie, but here is something I found out with my digital camera.

Took a shot of the Chocaholics buffet which was set out around the pool one evening and the first shot with the flash just gave a black background. Tried again but this time swiched to the setting without the flash .....here are the results.

I also tried in the showlounge without the flash, and it worked great.

CIMG1049.jpg

CIMG1048.jpg

Hi David

Wow what a difference in photos (thanks for posting these by the way :)). It's strange how you get a better shot without the flash... isn't that what flashes are supposed to be for :confused:.

I know at the laser light show I got some fantastic shots without the flash so i'll now have a play around with my camera and see if it does work better without the flash on other shots ;).

hi guys, we just came off the 17th august cruise too, everything sunbaker said is absolutely correct, it took a bit longer than usuual to get throught the buffet due to everything having to be served to you. but we felt it was all handled well by p&o and their staff...

sunbaker did you go to the meet and greet?? we got caught up elsewhere between the kids and the art auction!

Hey cruisekids009,

Yes we did go to the meet and greet and met Val there. We didn't see anyone else from our roll call there though, but then again we didn't know what they looked like LOL

We should have worked out a specific spot in the bengal bar or had some sort of signal to find everyone.LOL Or maybe the others just could not make it either!

But it was nice meeting Val and Dave.

Archived