Pre and Post Cruise Plan for Circle Japan Cruise

BassettMom

I'm taking a Circle Japan Cruise in October and trying to work out some pre- and post cruise plans. I'm traveling solo, and will have two pieces of luggage (a 24" and 21") and a carry-on, so trying to figure out how to get around.

For the pre-cruise portion I'm arriving into Haneda and booked the Hotel Monterey in Yokohama for the first night, and again for the night before the cruise. My plan is to take the Limousine Bus from Haneda to the hotel (according to the Haneda airport website and doing to route calculator for the Limousine Bus, there's a stop a 2-minute walk from the hotel--while it won't be an easy walk with the luggage, I think I can handle it that far even if I have to move it one at a time, a few feet at a time). I plan to leave the next day for a 3-day tour to Kyoto, leaving my larger luggage at the hotel since I'c be back the night before the cruise (they confirmed they can keep it for me). Does this make sense or is there a better way to do this?

The part I haven't figured out yet is how to get from my hotel in Yokohama to Tokyo Station where the tour to Kyoto leaves from, and how to get back to my hotel when I return (I'll have my smaller 21" luggage with me). On the return I can just get off at Shin-Yokohama instead of going all the way to Tokyo Station, but unfortunately can't do that on the outbound portion. According to the tour description there is hotel pick up in Tokyo and Shinjuku, but not in Yokohama. The hotel pickup is by bus which takes everyone to Hamamasucho bus station, then the group travels together to Tokyo Station where we all board the Shinkansen for Kyoto. So perhaps another option is to get to the Hamamasucho bus station instead of Tokyo Station. Which would be the easiest to get to for the start of the tour (so I know what to book). On the return, what's the easiest way to get from Shin Yokohama to my hotel, for a woman travelling solo late a night with luggage?

For the post-cruise, I plan to go to Chiba to stay with relatives (should be interesting since they don't speak English and I don't speak Japanese). Since I'm traveling with all that luggage, I was thinking of taking the cruise ships transfer to Haneda, then store my larger luggage and carry on at the airport and just take my 21" luggage to Chiba. Then when I fly out of Haneda 4 days later, my larger luggage will already be there. Does this make sense?

Looking for suggestions, advice, estimate costs, comments, etc. I'm not locked into any of these plans yet, so I can easily change and adapt if anyone has other suggestions.

Excited, but also a little bit nervous as this is the first solo trip I've done outside the US. Been on many solo cruises before, but always stayed with cruise line-arranged hotel/transportation when outside the US, so this is a little bit out of my comfort zone. ;)

I think 4774Papa took a tour from Tokyo to Kyoto, you might search for his trip report.

An alternative route might be to stay in Tokyo (either near Tokyo Station or the Hamamasucho bus terminal.) Haneda is close to Tokyo so the cost won't be that much to get to a hotel in Tokyo. Green Tomato normally has a van / bus to and from Tokyo the Cruise Terminal in Yokohama. The hotel in Tokyo will also hold your luggage. We stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi which is connected to the Tokyo Station.

Your idea to leave your larger luggage at Haneda when you visit Chiba is a good approach. Sorry, I can't help on the cost, we went in 2015 so I'm sure prices have changed. One of the things we really enjoyed was the welcome and goodbye ceremonies that are put on at Japanese ports, some were very good.

Maybe you can ship your luggage from your Yokohama hotel to you Kyoto hotel using takuhaibin delivery service. We used it once when travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and when we didn't want to bother with our luggage on the shinkansen trains which have limited space. It worked like a charm. The hotel front desk had forms and helped us fill them out and our luggage magically appeared at our next hotel.

Here's a link on Japan Guide on some info on the service.

Apart from that, I think you'd be ok managing getting around with your smaller luggage (hopefully a spinner) and personal item/backpack on the subway and trains though they can get congested during busy periods.

Maybe you can ship your luggage from your Yokohama hotel to you Kyoto hotel using takuhaibin delivery service. We used it once when travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and when we didn't want to bother with our luggage on the shinkansen trains which have limited space. It worked like a charm. The hotel front desk had forms and helped us fill them out and our luggage magically appeared at our next hotel.

Here's a link on Japan Guide on some info on the service.

Apart from that, I think you'd be ok managing getting around with your smaller luggage (hopefully a spinner) and personal item/backpack on the subway and trains though they can get congested during busy periods.

We used the luggage shipping service when we travelled from Kyoto to Tokyo and it worked really well. It cost $15 per suitcase and our hotel arranged everything for us, even phoning our next hotel to check our reservations. We just packed essentials in an overnight bag and our large cases arrived the next day. We took our cases on the outward journey, but found it difficult rolling them through crowded streets. We are two seniors who travelled in Japan independently after a cruise and had a wonderful time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely plan to stay at the Hotel Monterey Yokohama, especially on the night before the cruise as that is so near the cruise terminal and I booked it so long ago that the price is half the current going rate. I booked it for the arrival date since I thought it would be easier and I can leave my luggage there since I'd be back after visiting Kyoto. The limousine bus from Haneda is just 720 yen, so very reasonable to get me and my luggage there.

But since I'm having problems finding out how to get to either Tokyo train station or to the Hamamatsucho bus station for the Kyoto tour, I may have to consider staying in Tokyo the first night, and ship my luggage to the Yokohama hotel from the airport (hopefully, they will hold it for 3 days till I arrive there after the Kyoto trip--do hotels usually do this?). I'm only going to be in Kyoto for 2 nights/3 days, so it makes no sense to take my luggage or to have them shipped there since by the time it arrives, I'd just have to ship it back. I planned to just take my carry-on for those days. If I do decide to stay in Tokyo and ship my luggage to the Yokohama hotel, then I'll have to carefully plan what I need in my carry-on not just for the flight, but also for the Kyoto portion. I had planned to shift a few things while I was in the Yokohama hotel before Kyoto--such as some liquids (toiletries) I can't carry on the plane.

I also need to figure out how to get from Shin-Yokohama to the Hotel Monterey (which is right by the cruise port) after Kyoto late at night. It might be best to take a taxi and hopefully that won't be too much, although I hear that taxis are very expensive.

Keep the suggestions/information coming, and I'll keep researching...luckily, I do have some time still before I have to make a final decision, but I'd really like to have the pre-cruise portion finalized so I can focus on what I want to do at the ports. And of course, the planning is part of the excitement. :D

Use Google Maps or Hyperdia to figure out train connections.

To get from your hotel to Tokyo station, the easiest would probably be cab to Ishikawacho Station and then a train to Tokyo station.

Ishikawacho Station is about 1.1 kilometers from your hotel according to google maps, if you want to walk it instead of taking the cab.

Another option would be subway to Yokohama Station and train from there to Tokyo station. There are two subway stations about 550 meters from your hotel.

I don't think you want the Shin-Yokohama Station as that is much farther away from your hotel than the Yokohama Station.

If it's just figuring out how to get from point A to B, I agree with cruzmaven and suggest checking out Google maps. Not sure how obvious this feature is but after you enter you point A and B locations for routing, you can click on the train symbol to get public transportation options.

I don't find taxis too expensive for relatively short hops. If you can shorten your taxi trip by making part of the trip by public transit, that would be ideal. But you're kind of stuck late at night once the metro and trains shut down and I believe they are more expensive at night.

Shin Yokohama station is not in central Yokohama, and usually requires a taxi ride to get there. Shin (new) Yokohama station is the Yokohama stop for the bullet trains.

Yokohama station is in the center of Yohokama, and is very easy to get to and from. It is a hub for JR trains, subway trains, buses, and taxis.

From Yokohama Station, you can take a subway train to the cruise terminal (Nihon Odori station on the Minato Mirai Line) or you can take the same line in the other direction to get to central Tokyo.

From Yokohama Station you can take a shuttle bus to Haneda or Narita Airports.

From Yokohama Station, you can take a JR train to Tokyo Station, Shinjuku Station, or Hamamatsucho station.

We are going in November and I've been using the Rome2Rio app to work out distances, bus/train, and cost. It's really very good. Then when we get there we'll use the Japan Rail app.

A girlfriend has just come back from Japan and she was traveling alone and this worked really well for her. She stayed a week in Kyoto and 4 days in Tokyo.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Use Google Maps or Hyperdia to figure out train connections.

To get from your hotel to Tokyo station, the easiest would probably be cab to Ishikawacho Station and then a train to Tokyo station.

Ishikawacho Station is about 1.1 kilometers from your hotel according to google maps, if you want to walk it instead of taking the cab.

Another option would be subway to Yokohama Station and train from there to Tokyo station. There are two subway stations about 550 meters from your hotel.

I don't think you want the Shin-Yokohama Station as that is much farther away from your hotel than the Yokohama Station.

If it's just figuring out how to get from point A to B, I agree with cruzmaven and suggest checking out Google maps. Not sure how obvious this feature is but after you enter you point A and B locations for routing, you can click on the train symbol to get public transportation options.

I don't find taxis too expensive for relatively short hops. If you can shorten your taxi trip by making part of the trip by public transit, that would be ideal. But you're kind of stuck late at night once the metro and trains shut down and I believe they are more expensive at night.

Wow--I never thought of Google maps for train transportation--thanks for the suggestion.

You're right that I don't want Shin-Yokohama station for the outbound to Kyoto since the tour meets at Tokyo Station (or alternatively at the Hamamatsucho Bus Station). But for the return from Kyoto, I have the option of leaving the Shinkansen at Shin Yokohama, or at Tokyo Station, and the train arrives at Tokyo Station at 10:00pm, so a bit late at night. Not sure which would be easier to get to my hotel from that late at night. I'm guessing a taxi from Shin Yokohama, and thinking it will be expensive at that time and distance.

Shin Yokohama station is not in central Yokohama, and usually requires a taxi ride to get there. Shin (new) Yokohama station is the Yokohama stop for the bullet trains.

Yokohama station is in the center of Yohokama, and is very easy to get to and from. It is a hub for JR trains, subway trains, buses, and taxis.

From Yokohama Station, you can take a subway train to the cruise terminal (Nihon Odori station on the Minato Mirai Line) or you can take the same line in the other direction to get to central Tokyo.

From Yokohama Station you can take a shuttle bus to Haneda or Narita Airports.

From Yokohama Station, you can take a JR train to Tokyo Station, Shinjuku Station, or Hamamatsucho station.

Thanks. Between your post and the suggestion to look at Google maps for public transit, I may have this figured out.

Since my hotel is just across the street from Yama****a Park (just down the road from the cruise terminal), I should be able to take the Minato Mirai line from Nihon Odori station to Yokohama Station, then from there to Tokyo Station, correct? So only one change of trains. I thought it was going to be so much harder to get there, but this sounds pretty easy. The tour leaves Tokyo Station at 9:45am and I plan to be there early. Since it'll be early on a Saturday morning, I'm hoping the trains won't be too crowded since I'll be bringing my carry on with me. Thanks again!

Thanks. Between your post and the suggestion to look at Google maps for public transit, I may have this figured out.

Since my hotel is just across the street from Yama****a Park (just down the road from the cruise terminal), I should be able to take the Minato Mirai line from Nihon Odori station to Yokohama Station, then from there to Tokyo Station, correct? So only one change of trains. I thought it was going to be so much harder to get there, but this sounds pretty easy. The tour leaves Tokyo Station at 9:45am and I plan to be there early. Since it'll be early on a Saturday morning, I'm hoping the trains won't be too crowded since I'll be bringing my carry on with me. Thanks again!

That's correct.

You can take the Minato Mirai line to Yokohama Station, and change there to a JR train going directly to Tokyo Station. Or you can stay on the Minato Mirai line to Shibuya Station, then change at Shibuya to a JR train going directly to Tokyo Station.

Early Saturday morning is the quietest time on a train or subway in Tokyo. you might be the only person in the train car.

That's correct.

You can take the Minato Mirai line to Yokohama Station, and change there to a JR train going directly to Tokyo Station. Or you can stay on the Minato Mirai line to Shibuya Station, then change at Shibuya to a JR train going directly to Tokyo Station.

Early Saturday morning is the quietest time on a train or subway in Tokyo. you might be the only person in the train car.

Thanks Bruce! Your advice has been very helpful and I now know how to get to Tokyo Station for the start of my tour to Kyoto. If you don't mind, I'd like your advice on the return. Would it be better to get off at Shin Yokohama, or get off at Tokyo Station? Since we don't get back to the Tokyo area until 10:00pm, I really don't want to walk from a train station dragging luggage (even for just a few blocks) that late at night by myself.

If I get off at Shin-Yokohama can I take a taxi from there back to the hotel? Seems like it may get me back to the hotel sooner, but l'm guessing the taxi ride will be pretty expensive.

If I get off at Tokyo Station, then I could take the train to Yokohama Station and perhaps take a taxi from there, or transfer to the train to Nihon Odori and take a taxi from there. Are there taxis available from the smaller train stations late at night?

Any advice on which is the best way to get back?

This one is easy.

If your hotel is in Yokohama, you should definitely exit the Shinkansen at Shin Yokohama station. Staying on the train until Tokyo Station will just waste a couple hours of your time.

A taxi, bus, or subway ride to your hotel from Shin Yokohama Station will be quick and relatively inexpensive.

Last month Tokyo Taxi companies lowered their rates. The flag fall charge went from 720¥ to 450¥. This makes short taxi trips much more affordable. I believe that Yokohama taxi companies are following suit this month.

If you go all the way to Tokyo Station on the Shinkansen, it will take you over an hour to get back to Yokohama at that time of night. Since trains and subways do not run very often in the late evening, you may still need to catch a taxi from Yokohama station to your hotel.

Don't worry about walking alone at night in Japan. It is perfectly safe. My wife and I have been walking around Tokyo late at night for over 20 years, and have yet to even witness anyone having a problem.

Thanks Bruce. You've been very helpful and I'm feeling much less nervous about getting around.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Since you are returning by train from Kyoto to Yokohama, is it possible to somehow take the train from Yokohama and meet up with your tour in Kyoto? Would certainly be more efficient than taking the train into Tokyo and then backtracking through Yokohama.

We took the three day Viator tour to Kyoto and Nara and left our large luggage at our hotel near the Tokyo Station.

As someone mentioned, there is a train from Yokohama to Tokyo Station. A taxi will cost you over $100.

Since you are returning by train from Kyoto to Yokohama, is it possible to somehow take the train from Yokohama and meet up with your tour in Kyoto? Would certainly be more efficient than taking the train into Tokyo and then backtracking through Yokohama.

Unfortunately, no. I'm just glad I can leave the group in Yokohama. Luckily, thanks to all the information I've gotten, I now have it all planned out.

We took the three day Viator tour to Kyoto and Nara and left our large luggage at our hotel near the Tokyo Station.

As someone mentioned, there is a train from Yokohama to Tokyo Station. A taxi will cost you over $100.

I think I have the same tour booked, but through Triple Lights. I'm leaving my large luggage at the hotel in Yokohama which works out great and taking the train.