Powerchair Versus Scooter Rental

ILgirl

My husband is newly disabled. He can only walk about 10 steps with a walker. We use a companion chair at home. We are booked on the Anthem of the Seas Canada New England cruise in October. One port is tendered and the rest are docked. We are planning to rent a mobility device from Scoot Around. We have an accessible cabin booked. Does anyone have opinions on renting a powerchair versus a scooter? Pros and cons of each? Thanks for any advice offered. This is new territory for us.

My best advice when making this decision (for me to buy not rent) was from a physical therapist. There is lots to think about, how tall you are and how much you weigh, the type of disability, what your plans are for the use of the device, etc. I bought the wrong push chair (the one with four small wheels) before I had the visit with the therapist. Although not expensive, I could have saved that money as the chair was completely wrong for me.

• 2 weeks later...

ILgirl,

If I may weigh in on this. Everything depends on what your DH needs are. If he can walk 10 steps he might be more comfortable using a Scooter, rather than a Power Chair. As was pointed out there are a lot of things that should influence your decision(s) to rent, buy, Scooter, Power Chair etc.

His weight, height, ability to get in/on etc. There is a place on line called Scoot Anywhere they rent/sell power chairs and scooters. Talk with them and see if renting is good for you. They ship to your house and when you get back you box it back up call the shipper and Bob's your Uncle. Maybe he will like a Power Chair or scooter better than a companion chair, it also might give him more independence.

Good luck in your search, Hope this helps.