Should I make special requests?

FLArmyWife

I'm sorry if this has been answered in other forums. I am juggling my toddler at the moment and just trying to get a quick answer.

My DH has 80% hearing loss in 1 ear due to some military things. He has a hearing aid but it currently isn't working.

I am surprising him with a cruise for his graduation. Are there any special requests I should make? Anywhere there is lots of background noise (restaurants and such) he has a really hard time hearing correctly. I imagine we'll be together about 90% of the time so I can always repeat what someone says if needed, but I'm sure there will be a few times we aren't together (I like to nap in the afternoons and he doesn't).

He doesn't like people making a fuss over it so if there are just subtle things I should request to make our trip easier would be greatly appreciated.

Is this about your Carnival Splendor cruise? You can email the Maitre D' a couple of weeks before sailing and explain your situation, and request a table in a corner, if possible. Do you have fixed seating, or anytime dining? Check on the Carnival board here, but I believe the email will be spmaitred@carnival.com. It's the first two letters of the ship, and then the rest. EM

Is this about your Carnival Splendor cruise? You can email the Maitre D' a couple of weeks before sailing and explain your situation, and request a table in a corner, if possible. Do you have fixed seating, or anytime dining? Check on the Carnival board here, but I believe the email will be spmaitred@carnival.com. It's the first two letters of the ship, and then the rest. EM

Correcting myself: Splendor is SLmaitred@carnival.com. Sp would be spirit...EM

Correcting myself: Splendor is SLmaitred@carnival.com. Sp would be spirit...EM

Thank you! Yes I should have specified it was for my Carnival Splendor cruise.

We have fixed seating for 6pm.

I'm sorry if this has been answered in other forums. I am juggling my toddler at the moment and just trying to get a quick answer.

My DH has 80% hearing loss in 1 ear due to some military things. He has a hearing aid but it currently isn't working.

I am surprising him with a cruise for his graduation. Are there any special requests I should make? Anywhere there is lots of background noise (restaurants and such) he has a really hard time hearing correctly. I imagine we'll be together about 90% of the time so I can always repeat what someone says if needed, but I'm sure there will be a few times we aren't together (I like to nap in the afternoons and he doesn't).

He doesn't like people making a fuss over it so if there are just subtle things I should request to make our trip easier would be greatly appreciated.

Even though it was suggested to request a corner table the location of which does not always guarantee it will be quieter. You have to still consider the number of people seated at the table, shape of table as well as if it's next to a serving station .

Size and shape of table is important as it could make you husband more self conscious that he's not able to hear most of the conversation. If you don't want to eat by yourselves than a small 6 max round would be the better option. This way your husband will have visual contact with everyone seated at the table. One thing I've learned from my severely hearing impaired mother and her audiologist that happened to be my brother-in-law is that hearing loss is compensated by reading lips.

What I suggest you do is immediately after boarding go to the dining room that you've been assigned and check out the location as well as size of table ( even if you emailed the Matre'D ahead of time). If location and size don't appear to be the best situation for your Husband than go speak directly to the Matre'D and explain your situation so a change can be made prior to arriving in the dining would that night. Additionally tell the Matre'D to let the waiter and assistance waiter know what is your husband better ear so that they can speak to him from his good side.

Regarding the cabin steward - also discreetly inform him or her of you husband's situation as well as let them know which is his good hearing side.

Also suggest going to Guest Services and let them know that in the unlikely event of an emergency your husband is hearing impaired.

My DW is totally deaf on 1 ear and was just recently prescribed for a HA on the other. We cruise as often as we could.

Does the other ear of your DH have any problem too?

easyboy- his other ear only has like a 5 or 10% loss and so it is considered his 'good ear'. The sad part is.. I can't for the life of me right now remember which one is the bad one and which is the good one. :(

Direct from Carnival's website:

Carnival makes available, to guests who require them, a visual-tactile, cabin alert system that notifies room occupants of a door knock, telephone call, alarm clock, or smoke-detection event. A TTY (teletypewriter) is also available to communicate with Guest Services, 24 hours a day.

During embarkation, and for several hours afterwards, a safety briefing video is televised, in-room, with open captioning. Additionally, you will find the safety briefing and other important information in the Fun-Times (daily onboard newsletter/activity schedule). An audible version of our Fun-Times is also available on your stateroom TV. Captioning, when available through our service provider, is also offered for in-cabin movies. Should you require close captioning for outdoor movies, please contact our Guest Services team once aboard the ship.

Listen Technologies infrared-based headsets are used to amplify the sounds of live, onboard performances and are available on all Carnival ships. You may request them at Guest Services once aboard. Please note that guests who do not return a borrowed headset will be charged $150 per headset.

Upon request, sign language interpreters are available, on all cruises departing from and returning to a U.S. port, for guests who use sign language as their primary means of communication. To ensure interpreting services are available as requested, please give us 30 days of notice prior to your sailing date.

Please contact our Guest Access Department at specialneeds@carnival.com if you require the services of a sign language interpreter.