Can you smell smoking from S-class sky deck?

cheffip

Probably being over-cautious but I wondered if port-side balconies on Sky Deck could detect the smokers from below? I'm guessing we're high enough above them but double-checking with those who know. FYI, I'm specifically referring to 1091 on Silhouette.

My experience has been that no matter where your balcony is, you may smell cigarette smoke at times because some passengers either do not understand that they may not smoke on balconies or they don't care that they can't smoke on balconies.

This is most likely to happen the first day or so until passengers learn the rules or very, very late at night perhaps because they believe no one is up at such times. I tend to be restless late at night and like to go out on the balcony to look at stars and that is a time when I do smell a cigarette every once in a while.

All that said, Celebrity ships are the very best I have sailed for an environment that is smoke-free most of the time.

Thanks to you both. My concern was specifically about wafting up from the designated smoking area but I realize there is always a risk of someone breaking the rules and smoking on their balcony.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Phil. Just did search to see where smoking areas are on deck 5.

We have 6209 on Solstice ( NZ) and 6208 ( W. Med) on Eclipse.

Does anyone know?

The smoking area is right below you in 6209. If you are sensitive to smoke, I would move to a stateroom on the Starboard side. You are fine on the Starboard side in 6208 -- no smoking on that side except if the ship is taking on fuel from a barge on the Port side, they will temporarily move the smoking to the Starboard side. This is only on a rare occasion.

It's also possible that they would move the smoking to the starboard side if it is very windy and they need to close the port side for safety reasons or if they are doing maintenance on the port side. So while smoking is normally on the port side, it isn't there 100% of the time.

Thanks. I love the larger balcony but will try to change.

Any 2D/ 2C that you would recommend? ( I didn't see smoking area on deck plan...)

You should be just fine in 6209! The smoking area is further forward - under 6237 through 6249. Smoking areas are not indicated on any Celebrity deck plans.

Once you are on board, you will receive a notice in your cabin as to the location of the smoking areas. Of course, by then, it's too late! ;)

Enjoy the Solstice!

Designated smoking areas on S Class ships are:

Mast Bar & Grill

Pool deck & Sundeck on port side but not in the Solarium

Deck 5, Open deck on port side

Sunset Bar on port side

Smoking is strictly prohibited aboard the ship which includes staterooms & guest verandas. Policy applies to the use of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and smoking-like products such as electronic cigarettes.