Jewish High Holidays on Viking Sea?

HobokenCyclist

Hi all:

My family are going to be on the Viking Sea trip from Bergen, NO to Montreal, CA, leaving 9/17/17.

We're going to be at sea for Rosh Hoshana. For Kol Nidre, we'll be in Saganey and there's no synagogue there. We'll be ashore in Quebec City for Yom Kippur, and we've made arrangements to visit a synagogue there.

Does Viking have a chapel and/or make plans for their Jewish guests for the days that we're at sea or in towns that don't have a synagogue?

-Michael

Hi all:

My family are going to be on the Viking Sea trip from Bergen, NO to Montreal, CA, leaving 9/17/17.

We're going to be at sea for Rosh Hoshana. For Kol Nidre, we'll be in Saganey and there's no synagogue there. We'll be ashore in Quebec City for Yom Kippur, and we've made arrangements to visit a synagogue there.

Does Viking have a chapel and/or make plans for their Jewish guests for the days that we're at sea or in towns that don't have a synagogue?

-Michael

Good question.

I wonder if other Viking cruisers can speak from experience during last year sailings?

Or maybe Viking Cruise can post an answer.

I am Roman Catholic and will be on the Viking Sea for Holy Week and Easter in 2018. Easter is a sea day.

I know on other cruise lines they do have religious services for these important dates, both for passengers and crew members.

Hi all:

-Michael

Having participated, this is what I can tell you. Friday night kiddush on board is led by the passengers themselves; there is always somebody who is willing to take charge. There is no chapel; we met in Torshavn (the disco). Viking has taken the time to put together a short Kabbalat service in English as a guide (a rabbi was asked to do it) and they provide kosher wine and hallah. We found that more often than not there were enough people in the minyan (and yes, in four Shabbatot we never lacked a minyan--by egalitarian standards, at least) who knew the melodies that the service was a mix of English and Hebrew. Sometimes, there is even someone with a siddur. There were no Shabbat morning services. Hanukkah candlelighting drew as many as 70 people with numbers dwindling each day--and latkes were served each night.

However, High Holidays are a different story--much more complicated--and the only way to really find out what, if anything, is being planned is to contact Viking directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We were on the SKY last Easter. Non-denominational service was offered (can't comment as did not go). We were in Barcelona and no shortage of churches!