so disappointed with Viking Air flight times!

jabrown40

We received free air with Viking for the Cuba cruise in November, and are flying out on Thanksgiving Day, one day before we sail. After paying the 200.00 deviation fee, (and cannot pick our flights because they are domestic) we leave Ohare at 7am (of course, supposed to be there 2 hours ahead), and our flight back isn't until 3:15 pm. It was disappointing to go on the American Airlines website and see times that left all day from Chicago for the same or even less pricing, and could leave to come home by 12:15. It would cost us 575.00 to arrange our own flights for two people. I know its free, but really, couldn't they be a little more flexible when you pay a deviation fee? It takes us an hour and a half to get to Ohare, so we are opting for a park and fly hotel the night before, to avoid getting up at 3 in the morning.

We were offered air to Europe for $795. With the air deviation and to pick my flights it would have been $945. I checked 11 months before our flight, found a deal fo $651.00 Per person, I still think it was a mistake by the airline. Saved almost $300 per ticket. We don't have transfers, but since we were coming in 1 day early and leaving 2 days later, we did not have them anyway. , and got the flights and times I wanted.

Sounds like you got a great deal!! If my air wasn't free I'd change in a minute. I just don't understand The policy of not being able to choose your flight jut because its domestic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like you got a great deal!! If my air wasn't free I'd change in a minute. I just don't understand The policy of not being able to choose your flight jut because its domestic.

I have to agree. I don't understand why they don't offer Air Plus for North American and Caribbean cruises either. My Viking rep told me it was because the flights were limited, but we are flying from NY/NJ to San Juan for our West Indies Explorer cruise and there are lots of flights.

We don't want to fly basic coach on a multi-stop flight at crazy times. I checked into doing the flights on our own despite the great Viking Air price of $45pp round trip.

I found a good non-stop flight on Delta in their Delta Comfort upgrade class going to San Juan. The one I wanted for the return flight had Delta Comfort sold out, but for $50 pp more we could fly first class. Sold!

Cost us $1300 total and as far as I'm concerned so worth it.

We should get the $90 back and hopefully the deviation fee - not sure that's refundable. And I think we also will get a deduction on the insurance. I know we had to pay more for the insurance when we upgraded to business/first on our Rhine cruise last year.

Just wish they would add Air Plus for these ocean itineraries. They monitor these boards so maybe they will heed the call [emoji16]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I agree. Also leaving on Thanksgiving morning, requested an afternoon or evening flight so we could have a family meal and ended up with a 6:30 AM from Boston! When I checked American flights they had a1:00PM and 4:00PM flight with availability and $50 less, but Viking would not change.

Hope there is something to do in Miami on Thanksgiving day

Yes, they first offered to change to a little later in the morning, and the next day my TA emailed me they were willing to let me pay the extra 50.00 to choose my flight. We are still in the emailing process, but we're very happy!

How would I do that? I did write the updated post, to show that Viking was willing to work with us. Will people benefit from my experience if I leave this post? I certainly don't mean to offend, and I'm truly impressed with their response.

Should ask to delete this post since you had a change of heart.

I'm going to disagree very strongly with this suggestion to change the public record of ongoing conversations. It is okay to express disappointment and even anger with a situation. It is also okay to change one's opinion or sentiments but deleting a thread, especially a "negative" thread is a kind of censorship and kind of whitewashing of the record. Since this thread does not contain anything harassing, threatening or obscene, there should be no grounds for just deleting it or any other thread.

How would I do that? I did write the updated post, to show that Viking was willing to work with us. Will people benefit from my experience if I leave this post? I certainly don't mean to offend, and I'm truly impressed with their response.

Yes. People will benefit from this thread. Do not ask to have it deleted. We need to be able to discuss these things warts and all. Otherwise, we are just a bunch of cheerleaders.

Then merge the two conversations. The OP wrote a new post that stated to ignor this post but the positive experience was not posted in this post. The OP is being helpful to others by sharing, the full experience should be shared since the outcome has changed from the original post. No one will see the other post since its far down on the page already.

Then merge the two conversations. The OP wrote a new post that stated to ignor this post but the positive experience was not posted in this post. The OP is being helpful to others by sharing, the full experience should be shared since the outcome has changed from the original post. No one will see the other post since its far down on the page already.

Good idea. I guess it is now in the hands of the OP to either copy the post from the follow up thread into this one or to contact the moderators to ask if they are willing to merge the threads.

This was OP's follow-up post on July 20, 2017 after receiving revised flight times. This is the other post referred to above.

After posting about my dismay re my 7am flight out of Ohare the day before my cruise, my TA sent me an email that my time has been changed to later in the morning. Just another example of a class act by Viking.