Viking Biking excursion in Wachau Valley

knoxclone

DW did and throughly enjoyed it, even though part of group got lost, ultimately found, and in spite of the fact that it was 90+ degrees the day they did it. About 30 people went. Viking charged €12 for the bike rental and sent 3 crew members along.

This was a highlight of the cruise for us, and the fact that my son and I were briefly lost for a short while (we were on the same cruise as wheezedr) actually made the experience even more fun! The crew members who were with us promptly herded us together. I think the ride was about 25 miles over mostly easy terrain. The path was separate from traffic (which there was not much of) and felt very safe. The scenery included cycling through green vineyards, small villages, was beautiful and seeing it from a bicycle offered a nice change of pace from the ship's more distant vantage point. The quality of the 10 gear bikes used was good, but bring a bottle of water from the ship.

If you want to do the bike ride, and it is not listed as an offered excursion, ask the guest services people on your ship several days in advance. If there is enough interest, they are more likely to schedule it.

This was a highlight of the cruise for us, and the fact that my son and I were briefly lost for a short while (we were on the same cruise as wheezedr) actually made the experience even more fun! The crew members who were with us promptly herded us together. I think the ride was about 25 miles over mostly easy terrain. The path was separate from traffic (which there was not much of) and felt very safe. The scenery included cycling through green vineyards, small villages, was beautiful and seeing it from a bicycle offered a nice change of pace from the ship's more distant vantage point. The quality of the 10 gear bikes used was good, but bring a bottle of water from the ship.

If you want to do the bike ride, and it is not listed as an offered excursion, ask the guest services people on your ship several days in advance. If there is enough interest, they are more likely to schedule it.

It was offered on our cruise although I did not take it.

Thanks for the info - when did you take your cruise? The bike excursion on the Viking "my journey" is listed as $129 pp. I think I like the 12 euro bike rental better... From reading the description - it sounds as though its very similar to what you have experienced - bit much more expensive!! and does not mention any meals/tours etc.

Follow the flat bicycle trails along the scenic Danube to Krems on an electric bike, or e-bike. The Danube Cycle Path, a revolutionary international bicycle trail, begins in Passau, Germany, and follows the course of the river all the way to the Danube Delta in Romania. The route through Austria is considered one of Europe’s top cycling experiences for its sweeping vistas. You will meet your guide by the pier and, after a safety briefing, set off along the fabled river, pedaling through a breathtaking landscape of vine-clad hillsides and green meadows. Your e-bike allows you to choose between pedaling or getting assistance from a small motor, making for an easy ride. Upon arrival in Krems, you will have time to explore the charms of the town’s Stein District, with its cobblestone streets. You will then return to Dürnstein, passing lush vineyards along the way.

Thanks for the info - when did you take your cruise? The bike excursion on the Viking "my journey" is listed as $129 pp. I think I like the 12 euro bike rental better... From reading the description - it sounds as though its very similar to what you have experienced - bit much more expensive!! and does not mention any meals/toursYou.

As Soxfan noted we were on the same cruise. Amsterdam to Budapest starting on June 18, 2017. This was something set up by our PD when a number of people expressed interest. I do not remember a tour being available on the my journey site. The 12€ was quite fair given that they were 24 speed bikes and not just 1 speed cruisers. It went off after the Melk Abbey tour and one thing I do remember is that all the bikers and their significant others were put in the first group for the Abbey tour in the morning. Sounds like yours is being offered as a "tour" with a guide, where this was more a DIY with some crew members who went along. If something becomes popular the cruise lines will always look for a way to make them into profit centers

Thanks for the info - when did you take your cruise? The bike excursion on the Viking "my journey" is listed as $129 pp. I think I like the 12 euro bike rental better... From reading the description - it sounds as though its very similar to what you have experienced - bit much more expensive!! and does not mention any meals/tours etc.

Follow the flat bicycle trails along the scenic Danube to Krems on an electric bike, or e-bike. The Danube Cycle Path, a revolutionary international bicycle trail, begins in Passau, Germany, and follows the course of the river all the way to the Danube Delta in Romania. The route through Austria is considered one of Europe’s top cycling experiences for its sweeping vistas. You will meet your guide by the pier and, after a safety briefing, set off along the fabled river, pedaling through a breathtaking landscape of vine-clad hillsides and green meadows. Your e-bike allows you to choose between pedaling or getting assistance from a small motor, making for an easy ride. Upon arrival in Krems, you will have time to explore the charms of the town’s Stein District, with its cobblestone streets. You will then return to Dürnstein, passing lush vineyards along the way.

It does sound similar. We took our cruise June 18-July 2, 2017. There are at least two differences from what we did. I don't think motorized bikes were an option for us (not that they are needed) and also your description includes time to explore Krems and a ride back to Durnstein. We arrived in Krems shortly before dinner, so really didn't have time to explore that town.

Is this option in addition to seeing Melk Abbey in the morning? We were able to do both things the same day, which was perfect. If the bike ride is all day and means no Melk Abbey, it would not be as worthwhile, since Melk Abbey should not be missed.

Edited by soxfan1495
Misspelled word