Trivia

ckb104

Trivia can be 'ruined' if the staff use the same questions every cruise. When this is the case, there is always a team who is literally unbeatable... because they are doing a back-to-back and have written down the answer to every question in every game during the previous cruise.

The last time we played trivia on Princess, we saw too many of these "teams." The people had no shame about writing down the answers to each question or song title (music trivia) to keep for their next cruise so that they could win that darn cheap bottle of champs...sad that there are people like that.

We were on a b2b last fall and realized a lot of the questions at Trivia on the second cruise were the same as before. However, we guessed with just the aid of memory recall which is probably why we still didn't win, but sure did have a lot of fun trying. Interesting that the winning team was seen writing down answers before the question were asked. Guess they really wanted that bottle of champagne. We prefer it when our team mates are more interested in having fun and getting to know each other.

We are avid trivia goers and mostly just do it as a duo team. We don't try to win, our main aim is to achieve personal best.

At one Trivia we were approached by another couple who asked to join us, we did well but did not win. Next day we saw them approach another group, didn't win, day after that another group and so on until they ended up in a winning group. What some people will do.

We are just happy when the 2 of us are in the high numbers, we high 5 that we can keep up with the bigger teams [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trivia is the best way to meet people on the ship. I still have friendships with people I've met doing ship trivia!

I also enjoy it because I have a head full of useless information that only seems to find a home in trivia contests, lol.

While I like winning, having fun and meeting people are always my primary goals.

There is also (usually) a trivia question on the morning Wake Show. (One CD we had said he didn't "do that silly stuff" and pulled the forms from the library. What a poop.) You just fill out the answer on a little form and drop it into a box in the library by a certain time. The next morning they pull a name from those with the correct answer and you win the same "fabulous" prizes. I have several in a drawer... :o

We won a prize one morning. Don't understand why, we got the correct answer for a question two days previously, not the one they asked that morning. The wake show is either brilliant or a total mess depending on the rapport between the CD/Asst CD.

Sometimes the trivia answer they are using actually is wrong! The answers used by the crew sometimes don't mesh with reality in the US. I'm not sure where they get the answers but sometimes they are a bit wonky. However, the answer they are using is the "final" answer so there's no point in getting excited about it. My wife and I usually just play by ourselves for fun but a couple of times have played with others. I agree that some folks are crazy competitive with the trivia. To them "winning" seems to be everything. We have never won and don't really care. I don't use lanyards. I don't need another water bottle or deck of cards or a little flashlight. We just like trying to see if we can answer the questions.

There is also (usually) a trivia question on the morning Wake Show. (One CD we had said he didn't "do that silly stuff" and pulled the forms from the library. What a poop.) You just fill out the answer on a little form and drop it into a box in the library by a certain time. The next morning they pull a name from those with the correct answer and you win the same "fabulous" prizes. I have several in a drawer... :o

I remember a question being "What was the first feature length Disney animated film?" We put "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". The host refused to accept it because her paper said just "Snow White" even the our answer was correct as it is the complete title of the movie.

Trivia is one of our favorite on-board activities, even if it does become a blood sport at times. You just have to overlook the hypercompetetive types and enjoy the game for itself. If other teams want to turn the game into a stress-filled pressure cooker, then that is their loss.

I remember a question being "What was the first feature length Disney animated film?" We put "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". The host refused to accept it because her paper said just "Snow White" even the our answer was correct as it is the complete title of the movie.

That's because it was the sequel to "Snow White and the Six Dwarfs," like "Ocean's Twelve."

We have spotted grievously wrong answers. On our last cruise, the question was "how many American Presidents have been named William?"

OK. Let's see: William Henry Harrison, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, William Jefferson Clinton. Let me use my fingers. Hmm, that's 4. Answer from the cruise staff: 3. Even though 90% of the room said 4, she wasn't interested.

We have had, "what country was the Titanic closest to when it sank?" Answer, "Halifax." I bet you didn't know Halifax was a country. The very next question was "What country was Columbus from?" Answer, "Italy" a country that wouldn't exist for 300 years after Columbus was born. If you said "Genoa," you were marked wrong. We've also had "what year was the great San Francisco earthquake?" Answer, "1908," which would sure come as a shock to the folks still digging out from the quake in 1906.

The good news is that we already have a complete set of cardboard luggage tags.

One time we'd joined a team and contributed to the answers with lots of pleasant get to know you chatter and a few giggles along the way. We didn't win. Next day when we showed up our team had dumped us in favour of new players. Noticed noone laughed, not once in the that team for the rest of the cruise. Their loss. Despite our fun approach we're actually not bad players :-)

Cruise line trivia quizzes can sometimes be amusing; "What country does Sebastian Vettel come from or Weetal as the Germans pronounce it?" A quiz master on Ruby added in extra questions which were not part of the actual quiz. He said "If I do not say a question number - it's not part of the quiz. If you give a crab a lot of alcohol to drink would it walk straight?"

If you want to do well scan the room as you enter for different nationalities and team up with them, there is noting like a couple of Americans one of whom is a native; a Brit, an Australian, a Chinese guy and an Italian lady.

Regards John

Hey John - was I the Chinese guy on your team?

One of the DCD on the Regal did trivia that she made up. She showed pictures of herself around the world and you needed to guess where she was. That was really innovative and different from any trivia I've seen before.

John, that had to be Dave Clark. Two others were....if you choke a smurf, what colour does he turn and

if you remove a turtle's shell is he homeless or just naked

His trivia games were pure entertainment, he was funnier than the comedian on board.

John, that had to be Dave Clark. Two others were....if you choke a smurf, what colour does he turn and

if you remove a turtle's shell is he homeless or just naked

His trivia games were pure entertainment, he was funnier than the comedian on board.

Quite likely Dave Clark; an Essex guy, from his accent and your recollections seem on the money. If anybody was on the cruise I was on I became known as the "Melon Guy" due to the "Egg Drop" competition where I did not use parachutes or paper padding.

Lol John